wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 11-11-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

I like stategy games, and decided I wanted to make a map for WC3 with strategy in mind (which most don't).

So, when a friend of mine (Bl00dmage) made this map, I realised it's potential, and together we developed it over time, with me incorporating my abilities with (and love of) triggering interesting things, his creative ideas, and some of Marz's terraining work thrown in.

Enough with the life story; down to the interesting parts.

So far, the maps taken several turns to make it more strategical:

-The development of a control sector system, where by controlling a large number (22) of points on the map allows increased resources, leading to more forces. This encourages the controlling of areas, rather than just your main base, and is available as an option, as well as the normal barracks building increasing spawns system.

-The slowing down of units. This means you have to think ahead as to where to deploy your troops, and move them there before they are needed. In the future, this could allow spying to become a key element, though that would require units with stealth and stealth detection, which I haven't implemented yet.

-Strategical abilities, such as charge for cavalary, berserk for berserkers, and the fire for catapults - which hits friend and foe, and is inaccurate (though more usage of the catapult improves accuracy over time).

-Most importantly (I believe), the development of a one hit/miss system (without any triggers) that works very well (doesn't apply to some special units and heroes). This means archers are far more vulnerable if engaged in melee, but also more potent in destroying incoming attacks. It makes superior numbers far more effective as well, and, combined with charges, makes for some pretty spectacular charges.

So far, feed back has been mixed, but generally positive (apart from a few who didn't like the slower movement speed, but this map is aimed at strategy game lovers, rather than those wanting a point and click).

The map (a Layers 0f Destiny production):

Struggle for Garanon

War rages across Garanon. The forces of good struggle against the Evil hordes, desperatly trying to save the world. Who shall victor in this dark hour?

Will be uploaded soon with improved terrain by the terrainer.
Quote:
[13:32] <Akolyt0r> hmm.. stil i want to have some unused women
Captain Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 11-12-2005, 02:07 PM   #2
Captain Griffen

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

He seems to be a bit slow, so here's the current version:

Download
Quote:
Old 11-12-2005, 05:10 PM   #3
Jumbo_pie
Eerrmghm

Submissions (17)

Jumbo_pie will become famous soon enough (64)Jumbo_pie will become famous soon enough (64)Jumbo_pie will become famous soon enough (64)

Sounds good. It reminds me of a few other games i know of. And you spelt desperately wrong, it is spelt desperately.
Jumbo_pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:48 PM   #4
Tim.
Missing You All at Wc3c

Site Owner

Submissions (18)

Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)

Approved Map: PiratesSpell making session 3 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo_pie
And you spelt desperately wrong, it is spelt desperately.
Hmm, we should make a Spell Checker script.

Avast! Seen Pirates? Get it here!
Tim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:23 AM   #5
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo_pie
And you spelt desperately wrong, it is spelt desperately.
Hmm, we should make a Spell Checker script.
You want to crash the server, don't you? :)

War3 lacks good strategic maps otherwise, most of the maps out there are more action oriented. Nice to see that change a bit.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:27 PM   #6
Tooolbox
User

Tooolbox has little to show at this moment (0)

Lol, this is hilarious. A while back I made a map called Art of War. It slowed down all the units, gave them less hp, added a "backstab" trigger to increase the effectiveness of flanking, attempted to emulate the effectiveness of a pikeman defensive line, and attempted to increase the usefulness of high ground. I failed, for 1 reason. Idiot newbies will buy random groups of units and send them in a line at opponents. They don't employ strategy -_-

I also thought of charge for cavalry (an ability that, when active, damages (and stuns?) people that the cavalry move over/next to).

I shall take a look at your map and hope that you did it better than me. ^_^

Another interesting aspect you might also want to consider would be from the map Chain of Command. The General can see more than his Captains due to his control of scouts. He can also build bases and towers. However, all combat units are given by the General, to the Captains. Since he can see more, he has to design strategy and give orders to his captains. This in itself serves to generate strategy in a game. So adding this concept your map might help. To be more specific:

General:
Gets gold
Gives units to Captains
Has Scouts
Has Engineers

Captins:
Get units from the General
Takes orders from the General
Micromanages his troops

I don't know why, but it really does make strategy a key element all by itself.
Tooolbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:40 PM   #7
Captain Griffen

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Wouldn't really be appropriate, as it is based around different Kingdoms/Races, but I have been planning to drop the shared vision at some point (knowing the doubtless whining resulting). Also, having a chain of command makes people unhappy, as they have to be sub-ordinate, and can have idiots in command.

Yes, idiots with no idea of strategy ('my units suck!' 'You just sent you hero and two infantry up against fifty of my troops...') are always a problem...

Flanking I haven't included, but archers are very vulnerable (and get utterly chewed up by melee), and having several units attacking at once gives a big advantage (in fact can, if attacking at just the right time, kill even with two 'non-killing' blows).
Quote:
Old 11-16-2005, 03:21 PM   #8
MrApples3
User

MrApples3 has little to show at this moment (0)

No point in making a map smart if you want it played. The "idiots" make up the general population of people who play War3, so you want it to appeal to them really.
MrApples3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:04 PM   #9
Captain Griffen

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrApples3
No point in making a map smart if you want it played. The "idiots" make up the general population of people who play War3, so you want it to appeal to them really.

Sure, not so many people will like it as, for example DoTA, but it's the same with most good maps, and good games too (Deus Ex - one of the greatest RPGs of all time, and so few people know of it).

Anyway, so far I've had a lot of positive feedback from people in game.

"Everything we do in life is insignificant, but it is important to do them"
- Mahatma Gandhi
Quote:
Old 11-18-2005, 10:22 PM   #10
MrApples3
User

MrApples3 has little to show at this moment (0)

I really dont get Dota. Its really not that great, well thats just me.

Or maybe I hate it only cause of the "pros" that play it.
MrApples3 is offline   Reply With Quote