wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Model & .Mdl Editing Corner
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 07-22-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)

Approved Map: Mortar Ball

Send a message via MSN to iNfraNe
Default Yobguls in W7

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble creating omnilights for my map. That is, both guesst's converter and magos' model editor both do not correctly convert them from mdl to mdx (especially animated lights).

I've tried to get yobguls to work on W7 64 bit, but without success. It crashes upon conversion, saying there's an access violation in game.dll.

Any solutions?
The Spirit of Vengeance (Cinematic, Blizzard contest winner)
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball
iNfraNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 07-23-2015, 03:44 AM   #2
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

Run in compatibility mode for XP or 98 or something?

Though in my experience, it breaks a lot but if you just start it again and again and again it eventually fires up and works perfectly. I definitely had it running on my last Win7 machine, though I don't think I've ever fired it up on my current monolith... Also, this may be superstition, but get the Storm/etc DLLs from the CD rather than from the latest patch?
Old 07-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #3
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)

Compatibility mode does nothing. I can get it to fire up no problem. It just gives errors of violation upon mdl=>mdx conversion.

That original .dll stuff is a good idea! Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Any chance of getting the original cd .dll s without having to reinstall wc3? =\

edit: and otherwise... I could try hex editing the mdx. I've found the format here: http://files.magosx.com/download.php...sMdxFormat.txt However, it doesn't really explain what stuff is. Anyone got a more explanatory file format description?
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball

Last edited by iNfraNe : 07-23-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)

I am not at home right now so I don't have my CDs to get the original DLLs from (or don't have my YobGul's folder with whatever DLLs work for me), but remind me next week and I'll send them to you.

Not sure there is any good MDX spec, converting to MDL kind of did away with the need for that. :P
Old 07-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rao Dao Zao
I am not at home right now so I don't have my CDs to get the original DLLs from (or don't have my YobGul's folder with whatever DLLs work for me), but remind me next week and I'll send them to you.

Not sure there is any good MDX spec, converting to MDL kind of did away with the need for that. :P
haha, yea, I'd rather also just use mdl editing... but if the converter doesnt actually convert my lights... I'll have to edit it in mdx. Heck. I might even write a small program that does the editing for me.

edit: turns out the only thing magos does wrong is not include the animation structs into the length of the light model. Just changing the chunksize (and inclusivesize) fixes the problem :) It's a bit of a hassle, but at least I can mdl edit my stuff, convert it with magos, and hex edit only 2 values before importing :)
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball

Last edited by iNfraNe : 07-24-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #6
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Well, hopefully to save you some bother, here is my collection of DLLs that work fine on my Win7 64-bit PC.

Apparently no compatibility mode settings at all on this one, it "just works". That is, if it crashes on load you just restart it a few times and eventually it fires up.

If this doesn't convert things for you, maybe you're just doing it wrong.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z War3FileConverter.7z (2.50 MB, 44 views)
Old 07-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #7
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

Sadly gives me the same error on convert. I'll have to stick to my mdx editing iguess :)

Thanks for the trouble!
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball
Old 07-26-2015, 06:56 PM   #8
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNfraNe
Sadly gives me the same error on convert. I'll have to stick to my mdx editing iguess :)
Are you sure you're not just missing a comma or something? YobGul's doesn't give ever give meaningful error messages, so it may well be a syntax error or whatnot that's doing your head in.

Post your edited MDL so we can take a look?
Old 07-26-2015, 09:55 PM   #9
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

No, it's like that with all models. Even just extracted from the mpq. Conversion to .mdl also crashes with a different error. *sigh* :)
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball
Old 07-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #10
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNfraNe
No, it's like that with all models. Even just extracted from the mpq. Conversion to .mdl also crashes with a different error. *sigh* :)
Boo! Oh well, I guess it just doesn't like your Windows. I've probably picked up stuff with all my oldschool programming kit that makes it happier.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #11
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

Ah, I was just not looking very well :) I found a working version of mdlx a bit more down in the thread: http://www.wc3c.net/showpost.php?p=1125887&postcount=15
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball