wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > Modeling Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 09-04-2007, 07:06 AM   #1
The Elite
For External Use Only

Submissions (6)

The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)

Default Modeling With Gmax - Novice

Introduction
Hello, in this tutorial i will teach you how to make a simple shelter like this:
Zoom (requires log in)
We will be using stuff that makes the rest of you modeling career a lot less painfull.
And after we make it i will tell you better ways to do some of the things we did.
Required Tools
Gmax
Thats it.
What to do.
In Create (you should be in here by defaut) click on cylinder
Zoom (requires log in)
Now create one in the perspective view point window that looks like a platform
Zoom (requires log in)
Now go to Edit>Clone and click on clone
Zoom (requires log in)
Now click OK
Zoom (requires log in)
Now click on the four way arrow sign in the top toolbar
Zoom (requires log in)
Now click on the "Z" that is extrooding from the model
Zoom (requires log in)
And drag up until the clone (copy) is at the same level as mine
Zoom (requires log in)
Now, in the Top viewpoint (by default its in the top left hand cornor of your screen) create one cylinder in the most left hand side of the circle that is showing in the Top Viewpoint, and make it about one 100th the size the the main cycliner.
Zoom (requires log in)
Click once, now drag up, watching the perspective viewpoint and stop draging when you see that it is at the same level as the roof.
Zoom (requires log in)
Now click on the Arc Rotate button in the bottom right hand cornor of the screen
Zoom (requires log in)
Now click once on the perspective viewpoint
Zoom (requires log in)
Now click in the center and drag it what ever way you want. Notic that when this happens it changes the angle you view the model at.Inspect your model to see if the long pole like cylinder could be raised or lowered. If required, do it.
Now on the top view point select the pole like cylinder. Clone it and drag the clones so that by the end it looks like this. (you need to clone it more then once)
Zoom (requires log in)
Now were going to add a cone like roof. To do this click on cone then make sure Auto Grid is selected.
Zoom (requires log in)
Now in the top viewpoint click on the center on the Biggest circle and drag until the cone has the same Radius as the Biggest cylinder circle thing.
Zoom (requires log in)
Now looking in the perspective view but not moving your mouse. Move you mouse directly up and then after about 7 cm of movement click then go down until in the perspective view the cone has closed.
Zoom (requires log in)
Now click on the cone, and change Height Segments to 1 because the more segments there are in a model the larger file size it is do this for the rest of the model
Zoom (requires log in)
Always do this unless you need to edit the mesh of a model
A Better View Than Perspective - User
Perspective is good, unless you want to zoom on a part of the model apart from the center
To get a view with the pros of perspective and the pros of Top, left bottom etc right click on the perspective lable go to views then click on User
Zoom (requires log in)
Now, right click on user then click on Smooth+HighlightsZoom (requires log in)
Your model now looks like this:
Zoom (requires log in)
Note that you can use Arc Rotate on the User view as well
another reason to use User, as said by TDR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR
The reason for it is that it has no perspective and you see everything in it's actual size, so when you cut a segment in the middle when you look at it from a sharp angle, you actually cut it in the middle. If you were in perspective while you would have done that, you'll notice that it wasn't the actual middle, due to the perspective distortion. Also it's better when you model, when you use the screen coordinate system, 'cause you see the XY plane perfectly; if you were in perspective you would also see the Z and it would bug you. That's why User view is better.
Extruding
Earlier in this tutorial i told you to use autogrid to place a cone onto a cylinder, that was just to show you autogrid, the better way to do it would have been to use Extrude.
To use extrude first delete the cylinder that is under the cone so its like this:
Zoom (requires log in)
Then go to Modify > Modifier List and click on Edit Mesh
Zoom (requires log in)
Select Edge
Now zoom in on the top cone of the model in the top viewpoint and select the entire bottom row of verticies
Zoom (requires log in)
Now in edit geometry click on Extrude and change the number next to it to 5
Zoom (requires log in)
Now Click Enter.
Your model now looks like this:
Zoom (requires log in)
Thats How You Use Extrude
A Better Tool Then Clone - Array For the sake of teaching you Array im going to delete the clones of the cylinder and im going to re-clone them a different way, Array.
To use array first delete the clones of the long cylinder then select the original one
Now move it to the center of the model
Zoom (requires log in)
and go to Tools>Array
Zoom (requires log in)
Change Array Dimentions - Count - 1D to four
Zoom (requires log in)
And Click OK
Now this does the same thing as clone but creates for then one clone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 0.jpg (7.5 KB, 680 views)
File Type: jpg Image 1.jpg (48.8 KB, 600 views)
File Type: jpg Image 2.jpg (25.5 KB, 571 views)
File Type: jpg Image 3.jpg (19.4 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg Image 4.jpg (4.1 KB, 969 views)
File Type: jpg Image 5.jpg (52.9 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg Image 6.jpg (54.5 KB, 556 views)
File Type: jpg Image 7.jpg (24.7 KB, 548 views)
File Type: jpg Image 8.jpg (25.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Image 7.5.jpg (54.3 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg Image 10.jpg (1.7 KB, 531 views)
File Type: jpg Image 11.jpg (60.7 KB, 529 views)
File Type: jpg Image 9.jpg (24.6 KB, 533 views)
File Type: jpg Image 12.jpg (12.0 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg Image 13.jpg (56.2 KB, 513 views)
File Type: jpg Image 14.jpg (38.1 KB, 1256 views)
File Type: jpg Image 15.jpg (19.8 KB, 513 views)
File Type: jpg Image 16.jpg (67.6 KB, 513 views)
File Type: jpg Image 17.jpg (36.3 KB, 495 views)
File Type: jpg Image 18.jpg (13.6 KB, 492 views)
File Type: jpg Image 19.jpg (57.5 KB, 479 views)
File Type: png Image 20.png (19.4 KB, 485 views)
File Type: png Image 21.png (8.5 KB, 477 views)
File Type: png Image 22.png (4.1 KB, 471 views)
File Type: png Image 23.png (7.5 KB, 469 views)
File Type: png Image 24.png (34.9 KB, 567 views)

Goths are nerds that dress like vampires. -Dominant-Male
Oh, and wc3c wasn't dying back in 2007 and it isn't now. Our secret is simple: you can't kill the undead ... - Vexorian

We're definitely not going to make a G or a PG version of this. It's not PillowfightCraft. - Chris Metzen on the Warcraft Movie
Man, we're considered elitist all over the internet. This makes me feel nice and warm inside. - ghenjis
Please help! I'll provide no information, you must guess! - Whitehorn

Last edited by The Elite : 09-21-2007 at 09:25 AM.
The Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 09-07-2007, 01:43 AM   #2
The Elite
For External Use Only

Submissions (6)

The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)

Default How to apply textures in gmax

Introduction
Hello, in this tutorial you will learn how to add a texture to your model.
Required Tools
Gmax
Metal Texture attached to the bottom of the post, save it to your harddrive.
Thats it
How to apply the texture
For the sake of this tutorial ill be using a model from my previous tutorial "Modeling With Gmax - Novice - Making A Simple Shelter" but it doesnt matter what you use, if you would like to use the model i am using i have attached it to the post in a .zip file.
Now to get down to it, click on the Material Editor in the top right cornor of the screen.
Zoom (requires log in)
This comes up
Zoom (requires log in)
Click on new, select standard then click ok
The material editor now looks like this.
Zoom (requires log in)
Change the name to metal texture
Now in Blinn Basic Parameters click on the box next to Diffuse
Zoom (requires log in)
This comes up
Zoom (requires log in)
click on Bitmap and click ok.
A popup box appears, navigate to where you saved wood texture, select metal texture and click ok.
Click show map in viewpoint
Zoom (requires log in)
In the perspective viewpoint select what ever part of your model that you want a texture on
Now, back in the Material Editor click Apply
And the texture appears on whatever part of your model you have selected!
You have now skinned your model, congrats
Now, so that the skin will actually appear on your model in wc3 we're going to have to do some mdl editing
Export your model using my other tutorial Export From Gmax then before you convert it to MDX (in other words while its still .mdl) open it in notepad
You'll see some text like this:
Code:
Version {
	FormatVersion 800,
}
Model "" {
	NumGeosets 10,
	NumBones 1,
	BlendTime 150,
	MinimumExtent { -99.1217, -98.8234, 0.402162 },
	MaximumExtent { 100.878, 98.1381, 120.633 },
	BoundsRadius 185.364,
}
Textures 1 {
	Bitmap {
		Image "",
		ReplaceableId 1,
	}
}
Materials 1 {
	Material {
		Layer {
			FilterMode None,
			static TextureID 0,
		}
	}
//and so on
in the Textures 1 bit, change this
Code:
Image "",
to this
Code:
Image "skinname.tga",
OR
Code:
Image "skinname.blp",
depending on wheather it is a blp or a tga format image.
Wc3 doesnt recognize other image types, so those are your 2 options.
Now you can convert it to .mdx
and now you've skinned your model :D
REMEMBER to make sure that your skin has the same dimentions in height as it does in width, so dont have a skin with 312 pixels by 212 pixels otherwise someparts of your model will be black.
REMEMBER that wc3 has a different way of skinning models then GMAX does
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Material Editor.jpg (3.3 KB, 878 views)
File Type: jpg Metal Texture.jpg (51.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Material Editor2.jpg (25.5 KB, 460 views)
File Type: jpg Material Editor3.jpg (65.5 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg Diffuse.jpg (9.2 KB, 463 views)
File Type: jpg Material Navigator.jpg (36.4 KB, 459 views)
File Type: jpg ShowMapIInViewPoint.jpg (1.4 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg Final Image.jpg (63.2 KB, 129 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Simple Shelter.zip (8.8 KB, 55 views)

Oh, and wc3c wasn't dying back in 2007 and it isn't now. Our secret is simple: you can't kill the undead ... - Vexorian

We're definitely not going to make a G or a PG version of this. It's not PillowfightCraft. - Chris Metzen on the Warcraft Movie
Man, we're considered elitist all over the internet. This makes me feel nice and warm inside. - ghenjis

Last edited by The Elite : 09-23-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:58 AM   #3
Chriz.
Vast Graphics Animator

Project Leader: WotTH

Submissions (17)

Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)

Hero Contest #2 - 2nd PlaceSkinning Competetion #3 - Elementals

Could be better and more informative. This is just playing with shapes.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
The Elite
For External Use Only

Submissions (6)

Well its for a beginners tutorial for gmax, you think im gonna get newbs to animate or something?

Old 09-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
TDR
♪♫

Modeling & Gallery Moderator

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

No, I was thinking you would teach newbs how to model, not how to pile up basic primitives. At least you could have illustrated the extrude tool to make the roof: starting with a cone and extruding the base, instead of placing a cone over a cylinder.
And for multiplying the column cylinders you could have used the array tool instead of placing them by hand. If you ask me, this is not very good. You could learn more with the tutorials that come with gmax.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:14 AM   #6
The Elite
For External Use Only

Submissions (6)

kk dont gravyard ill add more,
what do ya want me to add?
EDIT added a small bit telling people to change the Height segments to reduce the file size
EDIT2 added a section telling how to use the User view and why its better then Perspective

Last edited by The Elite : 09-09-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

Those aren't reasons to use user view...User view is indeed the view you should work with, but that's not the reason at all. The reason for it is that it has no perspective and you see everything in it's actual size, so when you cut a segment in the middle when you look at it from a sharp angle, you actually cut it in the middle. If you were in perspective while you would have done that, you'll notice that it wasn't the actual middle, due to the perspective distortion. Also it's better when you model, when you use the screen coordinate system, 'cause you see the XY plane perfectly; if you were in perspective you would also see the Z and it would bug you. That's why User view is better.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:28 AM   #8
Elenai
-The EPIC-

Submissions (5)

Elenai will become famous soon enough (62)Elenai will become famous soon enough (62)Elenai will become famous soon enough (62)

Hmmmmz....But I would perfer to see a section about animating properly in gmax....If you can animate at all.
Elenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:07 AM   #9
The Elite
For External Use Only

Submissions (6)

This is a tutorial newbs, animating is advanced oh and no, i cant animate

Old 09-11-2007, 08:33 AM   #10
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

Also, the model you made is rediculously high poly and plain ugly.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:13 PM   #11
The Elite
For External Use Only

Submissions (6)

ok ill add a part about reducing the amount of polys, anything else?And this isnt a model to submite to a gaming website its just something to make while learning

Last edited by The Elite : 09-12-2007 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:31 AM   #12
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

Also illustrate how to change the pivot point and use the array tool to duplicate the cylinders. It's infinitely more accurate than placing them by hand and faster.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:17 AM   #13
The Elite
For External Use Only

Submissions (6)

I've added a bit about using array rather then clone
With array can you preset where you want the copies to be placed?
Because it sounds like you can in your post
oh yeah and I stacked the cone onto the cylinder to demonstrate Auto Grid
EDIT can someone who can actually change the name of this tutorial change it to "Modeling With Gmax - Novice" no "Making a simple shelter" because once i fix points mentioned in this thread im going to merge How to apply textures in Gmax with this on request of PitzerMike

Last edited by The Elite : 09-13-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:05 AM   #14
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

Ok, done.
I've also merged the two threads for you.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:44 AM   #15
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

Applying array just how you said won't do anything, because you did not change the pivot point and because you didn't tell the array how you want your object to be mutiplied; if you apply array just how you said, it will create another 3 cylinders in the exact same location as the one you're trying to multiply.
To make it work properly, you must first move the pivot point of the column to the center of the base cylinder, so the array will revolve the clones around that center.
Secondly, you must tell the array how to duplicate your object. In this case, set it to a total 360 rotation around the Z axis. That'll do it.

And I think it's more important to illustrate extrude than autogrid, since you'll use extrude way more often that autogrid.

Last edited by TDR : 09-13-2007 at 09:45 AM.
TDR is offline   Reply With Quote