wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 01-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #46
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_phoenix
It seriously annoys me that I am playing Undead with a freaking ranger, I am not even going to talk about wc3 saga on this...
What the hell are you talking about?
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #47
Flame_Phoenix
retired coder | real ilfe

Submissions (10)

Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)

Send a message via MSN to Flame_Phoenix

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about?
When I tested the map the race that the computer gave me was Ud....
Anyway, I wouldn't worry much about it if I were you, I gave you the best score after all xD
You should however fix that tolltip...
3-Making a spell in vJass - Practice Session 1
Check out all my current spells at here
Finally, check my project:
Castle vs Castle Flame Edition
Flame_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #48
Mc !
Master Creator !

Acting art director
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (101)

Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd PlaceModeling session 2 - Chimeras

Send a message via MSN to Mc !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Phoenix
When I tested the map the race that the computer gave me was Ud....

Most likely because you were using random race on your tests... <.<, the hero is made for the human race...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Phoenix on the poll thread
3. DreadBerserker: DreadBerseker - 3
The model is nothing special here and neither are the icons.The hero also doesn't fit the human race at all, it would be an obvious hero for orcs.

He is undead... *random race again?*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Phoenix on the poll thread
Well the model seems like it is missing one hand and if we keep in mind wc3 saga, the forsaken want the scourge dead, they wouldn't join it.

The hero isn't actually a forsaken, the problem is that pyro didn't have a model for his hero, he's supposed to be an undead with lots of worms coming out from him.

Awesomeness = #Rep / #Posts
Mc ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #49
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)

Quote:
Most likely because you were using random race on your tests... <.<, the hero is made for the human race...
I just opened my normal WE and clicked "test map" ... didn't select any race. Anyway, it makes logic to be human though xD

Quote:
He is undead... *random race again?*
Ud!? I still think troll => Orc ...

Quote:
The hero isn't actually a forsaken, the problem is that pyro didn't have a model for his hero, he's supposed to be an undead with lots of worms coming out from him.
What happened to the modeler then? I find it unfair, Pyro is a great coder that got penalized in the score because of the "art" section, and it wasn't just me by what I saw...

Off-topic:
Wtf!? MC! is Spanish!? that sucks ... you should be Portuguese man xD
Anyway, Buenos dias =P

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 01-12-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #50
Mc !
Master Creator !

Acting art director
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (101)

Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd PlaceModeling session 2 - Chimeras

Send a message via MSN to Mc !

Quote:
I just opened my normal WE and clicked "test map" ... didn't select any race. Anyway, it makes logic to be human though xD

Yeah, 'test map' usually selects random race on melee games, and since the maps are supposed to act like melees(removing the whole testing part)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the above poster :P

It's an undead troll xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ye phoenix again
What happened to the modeler then? I find it unfair, Pyro is a great coder that got penalized in the score because of the "art" section, and it wasn't just me by what I saw...

Exactly, the entry isn't a complete entry because the modeler didn't finish the model. The same goes for Anitarf's Demon Huntress... Neither of them finished on time, but they are still on the contest (imo if the demon huntress had a nice model it could have won) for coding sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...bah, you know who.
Off-topic:
Wtf!? MC! is Spanish!? that sucks ... you should be Portuguese man xD
Anyway, Buenos dias =P

Well, I ain't exactly Spanish, I speak Spanish.

Awesomeness = #Rep / #Posts

Last edited by Mc ! : 01-12-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Mc ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #51
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
Because everyone so far has voted themselves as #1 because they made their entry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorian
[If you are a contestant: Make sure to vote for your submission in 1st place with no other submissions tied, use "==I made it==" as its reason. Make sure to also rank other entries...

~~~

Flame_Phoenix

Quote:
Doing such a thing is not a crime and you seriously should do the same thing. It demonstrates you like your submission and you really have nothing to lose.
No one ever said it was a crime. However, unless the quality is obvious (i.e. Arcane Ranger / DeadEye), voting yourself #1 with no reason other than "I made it" comes off as incredibly egotistic. If I saw a couple of teams (not naming names) do that and it wasn't in the rules, that's exactly what I'd think.

Quote:
Not flaying, failing. And failing hard, if you ask me, the modeler is the weaker link on the team (no offense) I know you have great potential.

Also, can I see other people votes after making my vote?
No, he meant "flaying". As in, "that skin is flaying us alive" (i.e. beating them up; i.e. they are being hamstringed by the skin").

And yes; just check the Poll topic and you can see everyone's votes (at least, that's how it should work... I have yet to vote.

~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Phoenix in the Poll
Another blow to the wc3 saga, the apothecary actually tries to kill the scourge in here:...
...About the spells, they were GUI and quite simple most of them and many had bugs. I didn't see any enemy unit missing the target and the ultimate bugs hard, it just leaves green smokes and effects in the map for no reason.
1. "Wc3 saga"?? WTHeck are you talking about?
2. So how do you think the Undead came up with and distributed the first Plague originally? Necromancers, sure, but I'd be willing to bet he had some Apothecaries. WoW lore has no place here.
3. While I was unable to add a "Missed" floating text, if you'll look closely you'll see that the enemies will actually Miss you; they just don't deal damage on that attack.
4. ... Plaguebearer (the ultimate) seems to work fine; in what did it "bug"?

~~~

Quote:
Yeah, except he's an Undead Troll. Thus Undead. (the Death Knight is an Undead Human, so do you think he should be in the Human race? :P)

Quote:
It is unfair. But as stated on the Homepage News bulletin, both Anitarf and Pyrogasm had their Artist companion fail to deliver (for one reason or another). The exact circumstances could be private, so I suggest you PM them if you want to know more. However, what's important is that they managed to finish up their half of the work, then slap on some placeholder art.

As such, it makes me sad to see someone hold that against them in the voting. (Obviously, you can't say "the model was great!", but don't complain about the lack of cool custom stuff; that's just rude).

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm getting tired of writing your name
You can also give #1 to other submissions along with yours...
Actually, you can't; read the Vex quote above.

~~~

I'm all right with constructive criticism, but this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywan1991 on the Poll
-attacks did no damage and only decreased attack speed...with the exception of one attack which did SOME damage.

-ultimate attack requires an undead creep and there were not many to test it on...useless ultimate attack
1. Of course his attacks deal damage. Do you mean his spells? Because those also deal damage normally (as appropriate).
2. Atrophy (2nd spell) definitely lowers Attack Speed and Movement Speed. Run away and watch them run slower.
3. Did you not even see the "Hero-Tester Item" that was included? It contained only 4 abilities; one of which was "Summons 3 Ghouls and an Abomination" for you. Plaguebearer (the ultimate spell) can target both Friendly and Enemy Undead, so that would work fine.
And if that wasn't enough, the "Hero-Testing" ability that summoned Enemy units also happened to summon some Ghouls and a Gargoyle, making for exceedingly easy testing.
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 01-12-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #52
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Quote:
1. "Wc3 saga"?? WTHeck are you talking about?
Saga => story

Quote:
but I'd be willing to bet he had some Apothecaries. WoW lore has no place here.
Seriously what a weak argument. The apothecary is a forsaken and the forsaken joined Sylvana's to destroy the scourge. Even in the wc3 story Arthas and Nerub fought the forsaken in the underground to reach the Lich King before Illidan and his alliance could. Wow is the sequel of wc3 either you like it or not ( I don't) it is where the story continues. Your hero is the hero on the movie ...

Quote:
Plaguebearer (the ultimate) seems to work fine; in what did it "bug"?
The green effects never died, they just were in the map permanently ...

Quote:
Yeah, except he's an Undead Troll. Thus Undead.
He looked pretty alive when I was kicking the computer's ass if you ask me xD

Quote:
As such, it makes me sad to see someone hold that against them in the voting.
Well, when I was voting I knew some submissions were not complete, but I didn't know "which" submissions were incomplete, and I didn't know the owners of the submissions. I think Ani and Pyro are great coders in deed, but wouldn't it be even more unfair, if I had ignored the model's flaws? Wouldn't it be unfair against to the modelers of the other teams who actually worked hard enough to finish their models? I saw those codes were obviously professional, and the reason they got those grades was because the codes were good.
My vote is done. If I knew this fact at the time of the tests I would have probably made other decisions, but such thing is not possible atm, so going on with this is useless.
Quote:

Well, I ain't exactly Spanish, I talk Spanish.
That is irrelevant, I still think your skills should belong to Portuguese people and therefore you should be one xD
Kinda, Portuguese people and Spanish always were "rivals" because each one wants to be the best.

By reading the following you agree you can not make me responsible by anything I might say or do.

Seriously, Spain is more evolved, but hell with that, Portuguese women are hotter and Portuguese man are better in the bed, so no worries =P

The truth is out there

Well, to be honest spa girls are hotter than portuguese woman, but still, we (man) are better in bed xD. End of conversation lol

Humor ftw

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 01-12-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #53
Av3n
Roar!

Project Leader: TBR
Project Member: PoC

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

I am seriously gonna go all out and play full melee using all of the heroes and import custom AI's from the AI contests so you won't vs the regular generic AI.

-Av3n

Thanks to FatherTime for the sig
.:
Current ProjectsSubmissions
Power of CorruptionMy Terrain
The Black RoadMy Resources
Strikeforce
Twitter
Av3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #54
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Av3n, your hero is my favorite one. Read my post, god job xD
Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #55
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Av3n: Dude, do it. Then post it here. :P

FP

That's it, you're "FP" now. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FP
Saga => story
Ohhh. The Lore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FP
Seriously what a weak argument. The apothecary is a forsaken and the forsaken joined Sylvana's to destroy the scourge. Even in the wc3 story Arthas and Nerub fought the forsaken in the underground to reach the Lich King before Illidan and his alliance could. Wow is the sequel of wc3 either you like it or not ( I don't) it is where the story continues. Your hero is the hero on the movie ...
While the "regular", most obvious Apothecary is Forsaken, it is close-minded to think that they never existed beyond that.

Moreover, simply because the Paladin in Wc3 is only Human, does that make Elf or Dwarf Paladins an impossibility? (and I'm not talking corrupted WoW lore here; I'm talking in general).

Finally, may I point out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FP
Wow is the sequel of wc3 either you like it or not ( I don't) it is where the story continues.
WoW is where the story continues. But we're modding for Wc3 (specifically Frozen Throne) here; the story has effectively frozen. As such, Forsaken only barely exists as a recent offshoot of Undead, Blood Elves aren't totally demonic yet, and all the cool villains are still alive. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by FP
The green effects never died, they just were in the map permanently ...
Oh. No, sorry. The effect is a unit, which has a specific life-span (90 seconds, I believe). Just create a few and wait a couple minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FP
Well, when I was voting I knew some submissions were not complete, but I didn't know "which" submissions were incomplete, and I didn't know the owners of the submissions. I think Ani and Pyro are great coders in deed, but wouldn't it be even more unfair, if I had ignored the model's flaws? Wouldn't it be unfair against to the modelers of the other teams who actually worked hard enough to finish their models? I saw those codes were obviously professional, and the reason they got those grades was because the codes were good.
My vote is done. If I knew this fact at the time of the tests I would have probably made other decisions, but such thing is not possible atm, so going on with this is useless.
I'm sorry, you misunderstand. I'm not necessarily mad at you, nor do I think you should try and "re-vote" or anything.

I'm just voicing a complaint aloud, so others will understand the situation they were in. It wasn't just laziness on the Coder's part; in fact, it was supererogatory (thank you, Archmage Owenalacaster) of them to go so far as to put in placeholder art.

So while you shouldn't just ignore the fact that they have "no" art (reflected in the judging), I really think it's rude for ones' comments to include "oh, and you're art was terrible; seriously, some better SFX!".

That's all.

--EDIT--
Hey, not trying to get any DQed, but the Behemoth map is set on RoC Lost Temple. Weren't we supposed to use the icy one?
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 01-12-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #56
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Quote:
While the "regular", most obvious Apothecary is Forsaken, it is close-minded to think that they never existed beyond that.
Seriously, both model and icon are the hero from the movie! Every one can see that!

Quote:
As such, Forsaken only barely exists as a recent offshoot of Undead
Again, No, the forsaken existed long before the scourge arrival. Again, in TFT, scourge tries to kill the forsaken to reach the ice crown.

Quote:
Blood Elves aren't totally demonic yet, and all the cool villains are still alive. :P
I didn't know Blood elves became demonic ... that's new lol
=D

Quote:
It wasn't just laziness on the Coder's part; in fact, it was supererogatory (thank you, Archmage Owenalacaster) of them to go so far as to put in placeholder art.
Submissions like these make me value Ani and Pyro even more because I know they are good coders and I know they never gave up. I can't say the same about the modelers however ...

Quote:
I really think it's rude for ones' comments to include "oh, and you're art was terrible; seriously, some better SFX!".
art -> model + icons
SFX -> spell (Special Effects I assume?)
I see no connection between them. Both submissions had nice SFX IMo.

I also find it funny, you are making a "hidden" tag just for me. Thx for making me feel special =P (lol)
Old 01-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #57
Linaze
User

Linaze will become famous soon enough (50)Linaze will become famous soon enough (50)

Quote:
Seriously, both model and icon are the hero from the movie! Every one can see that!
They've already said they got inspiration from there. Basically what you are saying is if I based a model of let's say an Orc in WoW that is not part of the Horde, but instead the burning legion, I can't put him in the Orc race, because he is in WoW a member of the burning legion? They did not make the WoW guy, they just based their hero of him.

Quote:
Again, No, the forsaken existed long before the scourge arrival. Again, in TFT, scourge tries to kill the forsaken to reach the ice crown.
The forsaken were "created" during the sixth chapter of the Undead campaign in TFT, there were no forsaken in Northrend at that time. I don't know what you thought the forsaken were, but they are Undead led by Sylvanas and freed from the Lich Kings grasp.

Have a great day, Sir.

Last edited by Linaze : 01-12-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Linaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:16 PM   #58
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FP
Actually, we just got inspiration from it. It's a cool idea (the crow-beak helmet), so we took it. Notice the movie doesn't include a scythe. That doesn't make our guy any more or less different from the movie guy.

So our guy is an Apothecary with the mask, and the movie has the Apothecary with the mask. One's aligned with Scourge, and one with Forsaken. Just admit; it's entirely possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FP
!!
Ok, what are you smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FP
art -> model + icons
SFX -> spell (Special Effects I assume?)
I see no connection between them. Both submissions had nice SFX IMo.
SFX = Special Effects, you're right. But it's not Code or Object Editor stuff, so it's the Artistry. In fact, it would normally be the Artist's job to make the SFX (as well as any custom models/textures/icons, yes).
Perfect example: see Mc!'s Arcane Ranger. He's the Artist, so he made the model, aligned the textures, drew the icons, and made the SFX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FP
I also find it funny, you are making a "hidden" tag just for me. Thx for making me feel special =P (lol)
I just didn't want to junk up the thread with our little repartee; I'd rather other people don't feel intimidated, and/or view me as an idiot for near-spammage. So I put it in [hidden] tags so it's more out of the way.

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 01-12-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #59
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Quote:
Again, No, the forsaken existed long before the scourge arrival
I am straight edge -> no smoke and no drugs.
Besides, yes, just replay the campaign I am sure the forsaken existed b4 the scourge. After turning Sylvanas into a dark ranger, sylvanas made a rebellion against the scourge and took as allies the forsaken, which already existed before her. In the campaign they fight the legendary "forsaken one" before they can create the scourge (note: scourge != burning legion)

Quote:
Perfect example: see Mc!'s Arcane Ranger. He's the Artist, so he made the model, aligned the textures, drew the icons, and made the SFX.
Amen, perfectness. However the coders could use SFX from blizz as well.
Quote:
I just didn't want to junk up the thread with our little repartee; I'd rather other people don't feel intimidated, and/or view me as an idiot for near-spammage. So I put it in [hidden] tags so it's more out of the way.
Having in mind this is deeply related to the contest, this can't possibly be considered spam.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #60
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
Also, because the poll instructions explicity state they should do so.
So it does. What a strange rule, maybe this is to motivate entrants to also vote in order to keep it even.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrbi0
Hey, not trying to get any DQed, but the Behemoth map is set on RoC Lost Temple. Weren't we supposed to use the icy one?
At least it's not Turtle Rock.

Also, could you please take the lore discussion elsewhere? I will delete further posts unrelated to the heroes and concerned with lore.

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 01-12-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote