wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Code Resources > Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 02-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #31
azwraith_ftL
User

azwraith_ftL has little to show at this moment (4)

Just to clarify, GroupRefresh() should be used before FirstOfGroup() loop after some amount of time has passed with the new group and thus prevent incorrect comparission?
Old 02-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #32
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)

Mapping Contest First Place

Send a message via AIM to emjlr3 Send a message via MSN to emjlr3

well a group refresh would not be needed if you are using the firstofgroup method on your group, since you're probably removing the units in that fashion anyway (and i doubt its been sitting around doing nothing for a while - as in you filled it a while ago and are just not deciding to use it) - you would really only need it before a ForGroup

but yea, if you filled the group a while back, and are now down the road somewhere deciding to run a firstofgroup loop through it, a grouprefresh would save some overhead

Last edited by emjlr3 : 02-09-2009 at 08:47 PM.
emjlr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #33
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
but yea, if you filled the group a while back, and are now down the road somewhere deciding to run a firstofgroup loop through it, a grouprefresh would save some overhead
Not just save some overhead, but prevent critical bugs. Without calling RefreshGroup, FirstOfGroup could return null before the group was empty.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #34
midiway
Pro-carnivorous

Submissions (1)

midiway will become famous soon enough (43)midiway will become famous soon enough (43)

Shouldn't ENUM_GROUP be a constant global?
midiway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:44 AM   #35
Bobo_The_Kodo
oO

Bobo_The_Kodo has a spectacular aura about (109)Bobo_The_Kodo has a spectacular aura about (109)Bobo_The_Kodo has a spectacular aura about (109)Bobo_The_Kodo has a spectacular aura about (109)

It would then probably be inlined as CreateGroup() everywhere, no?
Bobo_The_Kodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #36
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

Shouldn't be inlined (that'd be a bug in the inliner), but constant handle variables are simply pointless. Utterly so.
Quote:
[13:32] <Akolyt0r> hmm.. stil i want to have some unused women
Captain Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:36 AM   #37
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

A thought: why shouldn't the users be allowed to call ReleaseGroup on groups created with CreateGroup instead of NewGroup? Seems to me like the script would work just fine either way.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:00 AM   #38
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

I suppose you're right. I just don't like the idea of outside groups being 'loaded' to the stack. It isn't a problem, though, so I could remove the check.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #39
Troll-Brain
User

Submissions (1)

Troll-Brain has a spectacular aura about (134)

ENUM_GROUP and GroupRefresh are useful, but i don't understand why NewGroup and ReleaseGroup are.

Just because you don't need to null a variable group with NewGroup when you release it ?

Last edited by Troll-Brain : 04-13-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Troll-Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #40
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Because it is senseless to create and destroy handles when you can recycle them perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll-Brain
Just because you don't need to null a variable group with NewGroup when you release it ?
This is also true.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #41
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Quote:
ENUM_GROUP and GroupRefresh are useful, but i don't understand why NewGroup and ReleaseGroup are.
Creating and destroying handles is slow and in the case of groups it also causes memory leaks. That is why, like with timers, we have good reasons to recycle them.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #42
Troll-Brain
User

Submissions (1)

Creating / destroying an handle is slower that calling several functions (extended array, bug return, and so one ...) to recycle them ?

I thought you did it with timers because of the potential bug destroy + null.

Anyway i think i've an other reason to recycle group, no need to care about ghost units inside it when you release it, no ?

Last edited by Troll-Brain : 04-14-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #43
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Speedwise, it is probably even or so. Benchmark it if you really care. Anyways, even if there isn't a great reason to recycle groups instead of creating/destroying them, it is good practice to recycle your handles.
Quote:
I thought you did it with timers because of the potential bug destroy + null.
This was a pleasant side-effect of good coding practice.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #44
Troll-Brain
User

Submissions (1)

I just want to know why, i'm not so stupid, i know there are reasons to approved that, i simply try to know all of them.
Maybe i'm wrong but i really doubt you win efficient, even if it's not the point, and i've understood that.

It would be cool if someone could tell me if it's faster or slower and how much, just to know.

Quote:
This was a pleasant side-effect of good coding practice.
You mean it can't be happen, until you code badly, so in an other word it's an "user bug" ?
Old 04-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #45
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
I just want to know why, i'm not so stupid, i know there are reasons to approved that, i simply try to know all of them.
Maybe i'm wrong but i really doubt you win efficient, even if it's not the point, and i've understood that.
I didn't say you were stupid. I really think that it is just the good practice of it. We are past destroying handles that do not need to be destroyed, even if on a marginal microsecond basis it is faster.
Quote:
It would be cool if someone could tell me if it's faster or slower and how much, just to know.
I doubt anyone has actually tested, which is why I suggested to you to perform the benchmarks.
Quote:
You mean it can't be happen, until you code badly, so in an other word it's an "user bug" ?
No. I mean that the timer-null bug was not the reason timer stacks were invented. They were invented because it is smarter to not be destroying handles, because it is good practice, and because we no longer have to worry about gorging the handle stack. That they fixed the timer-null bug was a pleasant side-effect.