wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Cinematics
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 06:34 PM   #31
Ari
User

Ari is on a distinguished road (15)

Quote:
Originally posted by Insaniteus
IMPORTING SOUNDS:

Also, sometimes your map will become corrupted thanks to adding an MP3. I don't know WHY this is other than it's a file format issue. Download a new version of that song and try again.

My experience with mp3's corrupting maps, both firsthand, and from helping other people is that it is NOT a file format issue, but related to the name of the file and the sound variable generated by WE. Certain characters are valid for a filename in Windows, but are reserved by WE for its own uses. I've never bothered to isolate which particular character is the one causing everyone grief, but rather than importing something like "~My_*music*!(mine).mp3" you'll be WAY safer simply naming the file (AND the sound variable) "mymusic.mp3."

Oh, and not that I'm trying to toot my own horn, but here is a link to a special effect browser which has all of the effects available for easy browsing, and which puts 100 effects on-screen at a time (and which now also has the RoC beta effects from Cookie's beta pack). At the bottom of the thread is also a link to Rod's browser which is somewhat different, but which enables the placing of multiple effects on a single unit using any number of attachment points.
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 07-04-2003, 03:55 AM   #32
LrdSlothPaladin
User

LrdSlothPaladin has little to show at this moment (0)

A few new tips- in TFT you do not need to use winMPQ and override old camera masks you can now use the inport manager and in camera masks you can choose to use a custom, that way you dont need to reload your custiom masks every time you make a change:ggani:

also if you want to change the Pitch (the first time I tryed it it did not work) you need to choose inport sound insted of inport Music and just change the file type from wav to mp3 then you can mess with tons of option that it wont normaly unavailable to the music files.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:51 AM   #33
lenko
User

lenko has little to show at this moment (0)

Very helpful tutorial.. thx
Old 08-11-2003, 11:50 AM   #34
pixiesfanyo
User

pixiesfanyo has little to show at this moment (0)

For some of your camera angles don't use the same tired tried methods like an overhead an a FPS camera try some new angles that will increase the viewing of the scene...the roll affect is really nice for this! ...I love the roll effect...:D
Old 08-31-2003, 06:45 PM   #35
DarthSaitoh
User

DarthSaitoh has little to show at this moment (0)

sorry if someone has said this already, i didnt have time to read the whole thread (very busy lately). if you want to make a good thunder effect, like during a storm use this:

Events
Time - Every 12.00 seconds of game time

Actions
Cinematic - Fade out and back in over 0.50 seconds using texture White Mask and color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 0.00% transparency

Sound - Play LightningBolt1 <gen>

all it does is flash the screen and play a thunder effect (the sound's path is Doodads->Cinemtaic->LighningBolt->LightningBolt1), but it works well enough.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:36 PM   #36
Nuladion
User

Nuladion is on a distinguished road (10)

I just reposted it :) It's old, but I believe it's still one of the best out there for cinematic newbies :D

Cinematics Tutorial -- 1. The Basics

Enjoy 8))

~ Nuladion
Old 11-06-2003, 10:47 PM   #37
Zurg(OLD)
User

Zurg(OLD) has little to show at this moment (0)

Cleaned this thread up some. Hopefully i can find some time to consolidate some of the other posts. Btw, be sure to check out nuladion's tutorial, excellent for any new cinematics maker.:D
Old 12-26-2003, 07:49 PM   #38
LegolasArcher
User

LegolasArcher is on a distinguished road (10)

None of the links work :nono:
Old 12-26-2003, 07:53 PM   #39
Nuladion
User

Nuladion is on a distinguished road (10)

Quote:
Originally posted by LegolasArcher
None of the links work :nono:

If you're referring to my tutorial, it can be found here:
http://cp2.oktagone.com/~wizard/nula...opic.php?t=563 :D

~ Nuladion
Old 12-30-2003, 02:49 AM   #40
BloodHunter
User

BloodHunter has little to show at this moment (0)

What i do in cinematic cameras is:

-Make about 10-20 cameras in a room, to have a good veiw of everything happening.

-Have a variety of Distances
Old 01-01-2004, 10:54 PM   #41
[Death]
The only one

Respected User

[Death] is a jewel in the rough (197)[Death] is a jewel in the rough (197)[Death] is a jewel in the rough (197)

Send a message via MSN to [Death]

You don't need to overwrite an existing fade filter for your custom fade filter! It doesn't even need a path to be a custom fade filter. It can be war3imported\fadefilter.blp for all I care. All the filter needs is a .blp, and is imported. If the filter is 1024x512, resize it to 512x256 immediately! It will remove a huge chunk of KB from it, and will not affect it's graphics in any way. I learned my lesson by making about 5 fade filters, 300-400KB each, and having my map over 2MB... without custom sounds, models, and skins emote_sweat... resizing it will take from 1/2 to at least 1/2 of the KB off! From what I read, it seemed that Insaniteus (sp?) or DK said you had to overwrite them, so if I misread it, I'm sorry :ggani:
Old 01-10-2004, 09:47 PM   #42
Iron_Ian
User

Respected User

Submissions (1)

Iron_Ian will become famous soon enough (51)Iron_Ian will become famous soon enough (51)

Custom Tree models -

If you have a problem with a custom tree that you've imported and are using as a destructable not showing up, this is how you correct it:

In the destructable editor, there is a field called "Use Lightwieght Model", set this to false and your trees should show up.

If that doesn't work, make sure if the tree model has custom skins they are imported and in the proper path.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:42 AM   #43
Xaran Alamas
User

Respected User

Submissions (1)

Xaran Alamas will become famous soon enough (54)Xaran Alamas will become famous soon enough (54)

I found out something very useful while making my Naga Coral city: Sometimes it would get annoying if you'd placed a bunch of doodads but then placed pathing blockers around that area but couldn't reach them because it would usually select one of the doodads around the one I actually wanted. An easy way round this is in the doodad editor setting the offending doodad to "Editor - Ignore Model clicks= true" As the name suggests this means that in the editor it will ignor if you click on this doodad however if you had use cick helper activated on this doodad it would only recognise you selecting the click helper. It's effectively like the freeze selection option on 3ds Max. If you want to be able to click the doodad again just put the Ignore Model Clicks option to false again. Hope this helps :D

Sp00ky says:
as you know I'm working on a fanfic
HandCLAW says:
RUN, XARAN! RUN!
Old 03-07-2004, 03:43 AM   #44
candymuffins
User

candymuffins has little to show at this moment (0)

Sound Tips
sometimes a sound won't work as its supposed to if its in the wrong setting. say you wanted to play one of furions responses during your cinematic. in the sound editor, after you've selected your sound as one that you want to use, double-click it on the right side. in this case it will be a unit-response sound so you have to change it to general if you want to play it at any time during your cin. the sound properties might also have the 3d soun box clicked, this means that the sound is attached to the unit, you'll have to change this too if ya want to play the sound during you movie.
a great effect in cinematics is using "fake sounds" which are alot like "fake doodads". this is when you take an ability or a units sound and use it in a different context. for example, using an owl scouts repsonse sound in a scene in a dark forest. it gives the scene more depth and it make you feel like you're really there when this technique is used effectively.

:>

Last edited by candymuffins : 03-09-2004 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:40 AM   #45
Chewy_Gumball
User

Chewy_Gumball has little to show at this moment (0)

I do believe that the Angle of Attack is where you want the camera to face. Its measured in degrees though (360) and the gound is 0 degrees (right side up) and 180 degrees (upside down). I just usually preveiw values in main window when I set up my cameras. Makes it alot easier most of the time. Might be worth making an upside down cinimatic once to see what can be done.
Closed Thread