wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
xombie
Banned

xombie has a spectacular aura about (79)xombie has a spectacular aura about (79)xombie has a spectacular aura about (79)

Default 0x100000 vs 0x100008

In quite a few systems now I've seen the number "0x100000" supposedly represent the smallest handle ID, but isn't it 0x100008?
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

We had a thread on this...go search...no one's going to go and do all that work again (I hope).
Quote:
[13:32] <Akolyt0r> hmm.. stil i want to have some unused women
Old 02-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
DioD
obey

Submissions (4)

DioD is a jewel in the rough (220)DioD is a jewel in the rough (220)DioD is a jewel in the rough (220)DioD is a jewel in the rough (220)

Send a message via ICQ to DioD

BJ creates some handles.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
fX_
User

Submissions (2)

fX_ will become famous soon enough (38)fX_ will become famous soon enough (38)

Can someone pls elaborate what those 0x120134 notations mean?
Old 02-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

0x notation. Google. Your friend. Is.
Quote:
[13:32] <Akolyt0r> hmm.. stil i want to have some unused women
Old 02-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Deaod
User

Submissions (11)

Deaod is a jewel in the rough (192)Deaod is a jewel in the rough (192)Deaod is a jewel in the rough (192)

'0x' indicates that the following nubmer is notated in hexadecimal (0-9A-F).
Old 02-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #7
Earth-Fury
Two Blue

Submissions (7)

Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)

Send a message via MSN to Earth-Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by xombie
In quite a few systems now I've seen the number "0x100000" supposedly represent the smallest handle ID, but isn't it 0x100008?
When you're subtracting the lowest handle value from arbitrary handles to use them as array indexes (which is the only use I've seen for those magic numbers), a difference of 8 is irrelevant.

So, my question to you is, who gives a shit?
Search
Tutorials
Ability Guide

UnitMaxState
BonusMod

AutoIndex
ARGB
TimerUtils

Old 02-07-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

A difference of 8 can make a big difference if you accidentally reference SomeArray[-7]. Woops! Proper coding fixes that issue, though.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:24 AM   #9
Earth-Fury
Two Blue

Submissions (7)

Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
A difference of 8 can make a big difference if you accidentally reference SomeArray[-7]. Woops! Proper coding fixes that issue, though.
If you ever manage to either underflow a unsigned integer which is an array index, or move in to the negatives on a signed integer array index, then you completely and utterly fail at coding, which means you will leak memory like crazy, get more than 8191 handles, and have no room left in an array, making the "trick" of using handle IDs as array indexes worthless to you in the first place.

So, in other words, that was an utterly pointless comment, Dusk.
Search
Tutorials
Ability Guide

UnitMaxState
BonusMod

AutoIndex
ARGB
TimerUtils

Old 02-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Kyrbi0
This message has been deleted by Rising_Dusk. Reason: You're not helping.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth-Fury
If you ever manage to either underflow a unsigned integer which is an array index, or move in to the negatives on a signed integer array index, then you completely and utterly fail at coding, which means you will leak memory like crazy, get more than 8191 handles, and have no room left in an array, making the "trick" of using handle IDs as array indexes worthless to you in the first place.
You've never made a map, so I don't actually expect you to understand. Overflowing arrays by subtracting 0x100000 to get a usable value is very possible if you're not careful. Or maybe you'd rather I just admit that I "completely and utterly fail at coding."
Quote:
So, in other words, that was an utterly pointless comment, Dusk.
Your response sure stands as a paragon for me to follow in the future!
Old 02-07-2009, 12:39 AM   #11
Earth-Fury
Two Blue

Submissions (7)

Quote:
You've never made a map,
Never released a map. There's a difference between having never made something, and having never made something that lives up to my unreasonably high expectations.
Quote:
so I don't actually expect you to understand.
The word "abrasive" has been used to describe your personality before. I prefer the term "cheese grater".

Quote:
Overflowing arrays by subtracting 0x100000 to get a usable value is very possible if you're not careful.
Doing it the first time on a lightning is far different then doing it with any normally allocated handle type, which I've never seen below 0x100000, barring 0x0, which is a test you should always do. (Java tends to throw NullPointerException 's when you don't, as an example.)

Quote:
Or maybe you'd rather I just admit that I "completely and utterly fail at coding."
Not really, no.

Quote:
Your response sure stands as a paragon for me to follow in the future!
I can't think of anything more abrasive than a cheese grater. If I do, be assured that it will come up next time we argue.
Search
Tutorials
Ability Guide

UnitMaxState
BonusMod

AutoIndex
ARGB
TimerUtils

Old 02-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #12
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

null is 0x100000.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Old 02-07-2009, 03:18 AM   #13
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
The word "abrasive" has been used to describe your personality before. I prefer the term "cheese grater".
I like cheese. You're just a big silly with a big mouth is all. I don't have a cutesy name for you, but I'll try to think of one for the next time you try to sound smart. Enjoi! :)
Old 02-07-2009, 05:15 AM   #14
Litany
Sesquipedalia Mentula

Submissions (4)

Litany is a jewel in the rough (219)Litany is a jewel in the rough (219)Litany is a jewel in the rough (219)Litany is a jewel in the rough (219)

Quote:
I prefer the term "Cassielesque."
Old 02-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #15
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)

Mapping Contest First Place

Send a message via AIM to emjlr3 Send a message via MSN to emjlr3

Hulk Smash this utterly off-topic thread....

Dusk = comes across mean more often then he intends to
Cassiel = down right maniacal
Fury = hopelessly argumentative

end story