wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Model & .Mdl Editing Corner
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 09-07-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
3.26ly
User

3.26ly has a little shameless behaviour in the past (-4)

Default milkshape - texture problem

Nah just answer 1 thing, thats easy for you who work with that. I make a texture using milkshape and using a file, you know i add material do smth with the texture coordinate editor etc and the model has a texture. I just export this to war3 .mdx and when i load the model into my map only the model shows without the texture i made in milkshape 3d. Does it need something more and other programs for the skin to work, or what am i not doing ?

Last edited by 3.26ly : 09-08-2006 at 08:21 PM.
3.26ly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 09-10-2006, 02:42 AM   #2
Werewulf
Banned

Submissions (86)

Werewulf has little to show at this moment (0)

you dont know how wc3 models and skins work?!

you need the skin, in blp format imported in the map aswell and you need the pathing on the model. you must also make sure you have the settings on the model right er..blah blah..

and if that dont work then your model or skin is corrupted with bad alpha channel.

milkshape just unwraps and shows you the texture by using it as a previewer, its doesnt really apply it.

gah.. im probably wrong..havnt done wc3 modeling for ages..
Werewulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
3.26ly
User

Yes Ive worked with models enough to know what they use but in milkshape 1stly you cant load a .blp file as materail and how do you export it even if you use a tga or bmp file ? Also how some models are made without skin ?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
Werewulf
Banned

Submissions (86)

you import the texture in milkshape shape a tga then in the map as blp grrr!
and of bloody course you can make a model with out the skin, its called a frikin mesh!

(bad mood mode on)
Old 09-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

Calm down werewulf. I think he means how some models are made using in-game textures. Wich i really dont know :<

3.26ly, you should try and formulate your questions a little more clearly, i have no idea what you are on about. I also think it would be wise to move this here thread into RDZ's domain, he'll be able to help you with any milkshape problem.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #6
Werewulf
Banned

Submissions (86)

dont tell me to calm down!

custom textures are used by changing the model paths in the mdl.

if you want to use a cusom texture then export that from the mpq and use it in milkshape and uv wrap over it.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

It all depends what exporter you're using.

With Guesst's latest, put "Path: Textures\Bacon.blp" or whatever in the material comment.

There are numerous free tools available for converting TGA or others to BLP.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #8
3.26ly
User

Yes but the texture coordinate editor doesnt work well with the skins. When you Assign the whole model with your image you know that some parts are wrong, then always something is not on its place or if you select a group e.g cilinder it can appear on the place of the 1st skin. My question is: Do you use other programs that can put the parts of the tga in good order with models of milskahpe, then from where do you change/add the path so that you can not just convert to .blp yes there are many progs but how do you make the path and what prog for better skinning ?

There is 1 prog. War3 Model Editor where you see the white model made by milshape and tehre is a path in Texture Manager Textures\White.blp there is a box that is in grey if you Edit, the path cannot be changed.

Ok before that i need to the skin in the most perfect way. Textire editor sux for ordering parts of the skin ,agree with me.

Last edited by 3.26ly : 09-12-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #9
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)

You have to actually map the model yourself.

Select faces you want to change, use the remap thing, shunt them around, whatever...

I suspect there are tutorials on the site that can explain it better than I.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:28 PM   #10
3.26ly
User

Ok lets say i added the textures with ms. 3 tga files and i remapped them onto the model. Now i used warcarft 3 viewer to convert the tga to blp. With war3viewer i see only 1 texture, textures\white.blp. How do i add paths to the blps and how do i add them to the model as in war3 viewer the model is still white.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:40 PM   #11
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

In the material comment in Milkshape, type:

Path: Textures\Blahblah.blp

Modify path as you see fit.

Add the line:

TeamColor

if you need it.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:50 PM   #12
3.26ly
User

im modelling noob | Yeah i added comment, then with the viewer i loaded the 3 tga files and it said activated? - yes to all 3. I am not sure do i need war3 viewer at all ? Ok i did that with war3 vieaer. then i exported the files to blp, exited the program, i dont see 'save' or anything. Then i saw i have the 3 files 0 kb, i imported my model in the map, the 3 0kb files with the right textire and the model doesnt appear now i know cause of the wrong textures but what is wrong rly, then when i open war3 viwewer again i see activated? no, lol ? /im modelling noob.

Last edited by 3.26ly : 09-14-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #13
Guesst
User

Submissions (3)

Guesst is a jewel in the rough (185)Guesst is a jewel in the rough (185)Guesst is a jewel in the rough (185)

If your blp files are 0 kb, you have a problem. Either your TGA files have a problem or you are not converting them correctly. To convert them in Warcraft 3 Viewer, go to "Convert Files | BMP, TGA, or JPG -> BLP". If they still end up as 0 kb, post the TGAs.
Guesst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #14
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Sometimes the WE importer just breaks; if you see an 0Kb file and it's not working, simply re-import before you go looking for evil elsewhere.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #15
3.26ly
User

Ok, i 1stly made them on Paint (cause few colours needed etc) as bmp then saved it as tga using Gimp. From tga i used war3 viewer and after converting even in a folder the blp-s are 0 kb. (I click Yes to 'the file is not 32 bits tga file. do you want to use opaq alpha channel ? With'no' nothing happens')

And the max of paint is 24 bit, if i have to make it 32 where can i make the image 32 bit using gimp?

Last edited by 3.26ly : 09-20-2006 at 11:35 AM.