wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 10-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)

Default Hosting problems

We are organizing wc3c hosting effort.

We will write down a standard wc3c bot configuration, along with default maps and their config files, then we post it here for anyone who can and want to host as wc3c.

This does not include CD keys, everyone can host with their own CD keys.
So when you don't play yourself you hostbot for others.

People who can set up dedicated servers should ask for dedicated CD keys from wc3c oldtimers (I bet there are lot of people here with wc3 disks collecting dust)

So we get one dedicated server and couple of part-time volunteers and see where it takes us.

Who knows hot to write hostbot configs?

Do NOT post your cd-keys in public threads, send personal messages and only to people who have a history at wc3c.

original post:

Bots seem to be killing manual hosting.
Is there some tool to make manual hosted games stay on top of refresh list?

Last edited by cohadar : 11-08-2011 at 08:06 AM.
cohadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
Fledermaus
default string

Submissions (1)

Fledermaus is a jewel in the rough (194)Fledermaus is a jewel in the rough (194)Fledermaus is a jewel in the rough (194)

Send a message via MSN to Fledermaus

Yeah
Fledermaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)

Send a message via MSN to Ignitedstar Send a message via Yahoo to Ignitedstar

Has it gotten THAT bad? Sheesh...
I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

1 Corinthians 13:1-2

Current Works:
None.
Ignitedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:40 AM   #4
Nuclear Arbitor
Reputation Leech

Submissions (1)

Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)

i stopped playing wc3 right about the time the first bot came out. then there was hope that you could actually find stuff other than dota. now you can't really find dota.
Nuclear Arbitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)

The worst thing is that games getting hosted with bots are, well worst of the kind.

Why are there no AotZ or DoE or ElementTD of Footy bots anyways?

I think wc3c should have it's own bot with decent games.
I will gladly give my CD keys for the purpose.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
Fledermaus
default string

Submissions (1)

Fledermaus is a jewel in the rough (194)Fledermaus is a jewel in the rough (194)Fledermaus is a jewel in the rough (194)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohadar
Why are there no AotZ or DoE bots anyways?
Because noone plays them, sadly.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledermaus
Because noone plays them, sadly.

And the reason for this is the lack of bots I think.

Ok DoE is probably too brain intense for most people
But AotZ is as simple as any.

And you can't tell me that people dont want to play ElementTD because it was always in top 10 hosted games according to mapgnome.

And someone will always want to play footies.

We need bots ftw.
My internet is not good enough for constant public hosting or I would do this myself.

Come on people we just need one dedicated machine.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #8
Nuclear Arbitor
Reputation Leech

Submissions (1)

Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)

i can probably do something about this if there is enough interest.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #9
Bribe
User

Submissions (1)

Bribe will become famous soon enough (30)Bribe will become famous soon enough (30)

Send a message via AIM to Bribe

You have my vote.
Bribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User
Project Leader: PoC

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)

AI Tournament #2 - 2nd PlaceHero Contest - Second place

Send a message via MSN to moyack

About this matter, I was thinking in opening a dedicated server at godaddy some months ago, the good thing is that they offer a reliable server with good OS CentOS or fedora, the bad thing is the price: $35.99/mo for one year or 31.99/mo for 2 years.

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/virtu...s.aspx?ci=9013

With this we guarantee a server running the game without interruptions. The only problem is the money. Who want to invest on it?
moyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #11
Fledermaus
default string

Submissions (1)

I'd save your money, it's really not worth it. So hard to get a good game to fill and even when you're lucky enough, most players will be noobs who leave after their first death or w/e.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #12
Nuclear Arbitor
Reputation Leech

Submissions (1)

yeah, and my brother has a server we can do it off for free. biggest issue would be ping, I'm in alaska.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #13
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledermaus
I'd save your money, it's really not worth it. So hard to get a good game to fill and even when you're lucky enough, most players will be noobs who leave after their first death or w/e.

I agree about saving money, but as it comes to players I expect to play against some wc3c people, that is why we are doing this anyways :D

What we need is a configuration organization.
We need to write down a standard wc3c bot configuration, along with default maps and their config files, then we post it here for anyone who can and want to host as wc3c.

This does not include CD keys, everyone can host with their own CD keys.
So when you don't play yourself you hostbot for others.
I personally can leave the bot on during the whole night (in CET europe)

People like Nuclear Arbitor who can go dedicated should ask for dedicated CD keys from wc3c oldtimers (I bet there are lot of people here with wc3 disks collecting dust)

So we get one dedicated server and couple of part-time volunteers and see where it takes us.

Now, who knows hot to write hostbot configs?

TIP: Do NOT post your cd-keys in public threads, you should send PM-s and probably only to people who have a history at wc3c longer than 3 weeks

I updated the first post

Last edited by cohadar : 11-08-2011 at 08:06 AM.
cohadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:48 AM   #14
Gorman
.▲▼▲&#9

Submissions (2)

Gorman will become famous soon enough (70)Gorman will become famous soon enough (70)Gorman will become famous soon enough (70)

Send a message via MSN to Gorman

Now days you don't need config files for maps, they are automatically generated. As for the bot config, GHost++ should come with a GUI that makes it trivial to set up the config - just remember to log it in to al realms otherwise it will be very unlikely to fill.

MaD[Lion] had an amazing system where his bot was hooked up to a web interface, so you can ask the bot to host whatever you want.

You would probably be better off by creating a Steam group and just messaging people when you want to play, otherwise you will never get a game to fill in the wild.

I think I have 5 or 15 pairs of keys around somewhere (was an admin for a major bot hoster clan), so if you are truly serious about hosting email me.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #15
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

I'm not sure why you'd need a bot to play with fellow wc3c-ers, I often play Castle Fight with iNfraNe and we get by just fine by hosting the game regularly. Sure, it sometimes takes a long time for people to join even though we only play 2v2 so I can imagine getting a 5v5 game would not be feasible but that's public games, you are talking about mostly wc3c games here. People interested in playing can simply gather on our irc channel, when you have enough people for a game at least one of them should be able to host.

Last edited by Anitarf : 11-15-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote