wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > General Mapping Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Default List of WC3 ability categories

Introduction

Warcraft 3 has tons of abilities and many of them are useful when making custom spells. Sure, you can put them into a few basic categories (no target, single target, area target, point target) and knowing one or two abilities from each category is usualy enough, but that doesn't come close to the diversity of different options that's really available to you as a spell maker through different spells.

As if that wasn't enough, due to order id conflicts, you can't have multiple spells based on the same base spell on the same unit (channel and spellbook being rare exceptions), so knowing all the different spell categories isn't enough, if you really want to be able to do anything possible you also need to know as many spells as possible from each category so you can fit similar spells on the same hero if you want to.

If you want to be good at using the WC3 abilities you have to know them well, and getting to know them well takes time. A very useful resource for speeding up the learning is the Warcraft 3 Ability Guide by PitzerMike, which lists the most interesting WC3 abilities. This list is intended to supplement that tutorial with a more general list of the types of abilities found in the game.

The List
  • no target (fan of knives,...)
  • no target area buff (roar, howl of terror, thunder clap,...)
  • no target self buff (berserk, wind walk(both do not interrupt move orders),...)
  • no target autocast (spirit touch, essence of blight...)
  • no target self buff autocast (frenzy)
  • no target channeled (starfall, tranquility(I think this one adds a buff))
  • no target summon (spirit of vengeance (the one cast by the warden), book of the dead(item), summon bear,...)
  • no target non stackable summon (feral spirit)
  • no target summon that plays death animation (owl scout, summon water elemental, lava spawn)
  • no target autocast summon (spirit of vengeance (the one cast by the avatar, needs corpses))
  • no target autocast summon that plays death animation (raise dead, carrion beetles(both need corpses))
  • no target morph (metamorphosis, chemical rage,...)
  • no target toggleable (defend, immolation, mana shield...)
  • single target instant (finger of pain,...)
  • single target with projectile (shadow strike(shows damage numbers), storm bolt, fire bolt,(both stun)...)
  • single target channeled (siphon mana, life drain, aerial shackes(stuns target),...)
  • single target instant buff (unholy frenzy, lightning shield, frost armour,...)
  • single target instant autocast buff (inner fire, bloodlust, faerie fire,...)
  • single target buff with projectile (acid bomb, drunken haze(both can also affect nearby units),...)
  • single or point target spell (shockwave)
  • area target instant buff (silence)
  • area target channeled (cloud(adds a buff), earthquake(deforms ground), death and decay, monsoon,...)
  • area target summon (inferno, healing ward)
  • point target summon (sentry ward, pocket factory)
  • point target channeled summon(tornado)
  • point target destructible summon (volcano)
  • point target building placement (tiny farm,...)
  • attack based autocast (searing arrows, frost arrows, black arrow, orb of annihilation,... )
  • attack based passive (slow poison, cold attack,...)
  • aura (devotion, brilliance, unholy, endurance, vampiric, thorns, trueshot, command...)

There is no "multiple target points" spell, but there are ways to trigger that, if you're interested in that you should check out my Tripwire ability.

I have most likely missed a category or two, and in no way are all spells from a single category the same (for example, autocast spells can have different hardcoded autocast behaviours). I tried to list spells where it's possible to get rid of their default effects so they can serve as a base for triggered spells (but not all categories have such spells), but sometimes when making a custom spell you might actualy want some specific effect that isn't easy to make through triggers but there already is a spell that does it, for example if you want a buff that grants vision of an enemy unit, you could try triggering dummy vision giving units to follow buffed units around or you could just use faerie fire.

Conclusion

Best spells are made by mixing triggered effects and effects of spells, the more spells you know the better you can do this. Nearly every spell is unique and has a property that similar spells don't have, some spells are more unique than others and some have more than one thing that makes them special, sometimes it's even bugs that we can exploit to get stuff done. The Warcraft 3 Ability Guide that is linked to in the introduction of this tutorial lists the most interesting abilities. It is a great resource, but in no way a complete list of all spells, I'm not sure there actualy is one in existance.

Last edited by Anitarf : 05-31-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

You might want to add (destroys trees) next to Death and Decay, and I would also mention (but not exactly explain in great detail) Channel, just for its versatility.

Overall, a very nice tutorial!
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

Just very handy.

I'd probably add * point target building placement (tiny farm ...)

Now let me move this to the approved tutorials section.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitzerMike
I'd probably add * point target building placement (tiny farm ...)
Thanks, I added it to the list.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
RaptorTeak
User

RaptorTeak has little to show at this moment (3)

Very nice, thanks. Only thing I think it would be cool to add : abilids. Because I have the french version of WE, and I can't find translated spells (I don't know what it gives in french).. and I spend lot of time to find out which they are :p .
RaptorTeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
holyadvocate
User

holyadvocate is on a distinguished road (19)

This is really helpful, thanks alot for writing it
holyadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
annchen124
User

annchen124 has little to show at this moment (0)

thank you for making the guide
it should help me with map development in the future
annchen124 is offline   Reply With Quote