wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Skinning / Texturing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 02-07-2007, 02:49 AM   #1
Kevin
User

Kevin has little to show at this moment (9)

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Default -_- can't find the right tutorial

I just made a model in Milkshape. I made the portrait in milkshape.

I made skin -- very pretty skin -- in .jpg

My model has Bladestorm (I copied bladestorm whirley winds and made twirly animation for it).

Now, I try to find a skinning tutorial. What I get?

* Tons of Tutorials talking about how to draw a pretty picture (I already did this I know how to do this)
* More tutorials with broken links or that one outdated tutorial on milkshape skinning which doesn't even work.
* Tutorials which center completely around GMAX.

I am so confused I do not know what to do.

Can someone pls show me to a very explanatory tutorial on how to skin?

Also, I ask this as well:

I have the Whirley Wind animation for my character's bladestorm thingy. Do I need to export th ewhirley wind skins? Or is it possible for me to just set the path for the whirly wind textures inside the game?

Also, one more thing:

I made **planes** (not textures sorry!-edit) for hero glow, and I call them "Glow" like I am supposed to. So how do I make it glow is it part of the skinning tutorial or is that a different tutorial?

tyvm

^_^

Last edited by Kevin : 02-07-2007 at 04:32 AM.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:09 AM   #2
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
I just made a model in Milkshape. I made the portrait in milkshape.

I made skin -- very pretty skin -- in .jpg

My model has Bladestorm (I copied bladestorm whirley winds and made twirly animation for it).

Now, I try to find a skinning tutorial. What I get?

* Tons of Tutorials talking about how to draw a pretty picture (I already did this I know how to do this)
* More tutorials with broken links or that one outdated tutorial on milkshape skinning which doesn't even work.
* Tutorials which center completely around GMAX.

I am so confused I do not know what to do.

Can someone pls show me to a very explanatory tutorial on how to skin?

I am confused to what you really want to do. Do you want to learn how to create a texture, wich is the image file that joe apply to a model, or do you want to learn how to make a texture map, wich is information on the model that places the parts of the image file onto designated geometry on the model?

Also, for textures you should use the targa format, wich is ".tga".

Quote:
Also, I ask this as well:

I have the Whirley Wind animation for my character's bladestorm thingy. Do I need to export th ewhirley wind skins? Or is it possible for me to just set the path for the whirly wind textures inside the game?

It is possible to use the textures allready in game. However, i do not know how to do this specifically.

Quote:
Also, one more thing:

I made textures for hero glow, and I call them "Glow" like I am supposed to. So how do I make it glow is it part of the skinning tutorial or is that a different tutorial?

tyvm

^_^
Hero glow parts actually have a seporate wc3 material you should use for them. You can find this material in the 3dsm wc3 art tools manual, or simply "art tools", wich you can find in our recources section.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:15 AM   #3
Kevin
User

oh I have atexture already, it's a very nice texture.

I need to know how to put the texture onto my model(s) (includes portrait). I also need to know, what format of .tga should I use before converting to .blp? 24 bit or 32 bit? Also, do I make it .blp before I put it onto my model or after?

oh ok on that hero glow thing. I am still kinda confused about it but I will read it and see if I can find the tutorial for that. I made the hero glow planes, just need to make them glowy.

edit: about using textures in game - oh shoot, thing is I knew I saw a tutorial once that covered this, but I can't find it! :(

edit again: ok I found orwinkles hero glow tutorial yay edit again: --- hrm, maybe this tutorial can't help me. It's talking about merging someone else's glow plane into the file, but I already created a plane and it's already anchored to a bone and if I do this I have to go back in and change my file again in milkshape before re-exporting it and -_- :sigh: it might be a massive mess.

Last edited by Kevin : 02-07-2007 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:05 AM   #4
heroicraptor
User

heroicraptor has little to show at this moment (4)

You don't actually "put" the skin on the model. You just tell WC3 to, and it does it in realtime.
heroicraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:09 AM   #5
Kevin
User

-_- I have to mark the areas to be skinned for the model. That's how you prime the model for the skinnage.

You can't just upload an unprimed model and a micelaneous garphics file and hope that wc3 will make the face appear on the face rather than the rear end.

edit:

yay I found the thread that tells me how to map skins (http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=88953). Now I need to know how to map skins already inside the game, i.e. Hero Glow and the whirly wind skin the blademaster uses. ^_^

Last edited by Kevin : 02-07-2007 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

You should really unwrap the model first, and then create the texture for that unwrap. doing it the other way around is a lot harder.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
map-maker
I smell like 1337 sauce.

Submissions (5)

map-maker will become famous soon enough (50)map-maker will become famous soon enough (50)

Send a message via AIM to map-maker

Erwtenpellar is right about unwrapping the model first and skinning accordingly but you can fit the model to match the texture. In MS3D after you assign all your textures to your objects you can go to Window > Texture Coordinator Editor and fool around with how to texture wraps around the model.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
Kevin
User

-_- I am so confused. Right now I am doing the texture cordinator thing. I am having so many problems.

Maybe it'll get done.

Right now, somehow, the texture is texturing the wrong side of my character's scabard!:O I am trying to flip my scabard around. :(

I still need to know how to make sure my hero glow panels are gonna glow, and I also need to figure out how to texture my blade storm whirly wind with the textures already inside the game.

-_- these tutorials on all these websites are so confusing.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

Not as confusing as you...

Post some images of what you are working on.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #10
Kevin
User

-_- they r more confusing than I am.

Here are two pictures.

See, I am trying to put the skin on my model -_-

I finished the chest, and I finished the boots and sword and shield.

I also finished two of the explosions.

I like the shield, it was totally by accident. It went over the texture of my horse's belly, and it created that cool effect! So I kept that instead of the standard shield graphic.

well, I have no idea WHAT the hell I'm doing. It looks NOTHING like what I wanted my model to look like, But whatever it is, it certainly looks cool.

One thing is for sure, no one on god's green earth would ever be able to copy this skinning job I am doing.

It's crazy.

Last edited by Kevin : 02-07-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:46 PM   #11
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
One thing is for sure, no one on god's green earth would ever be able to copy this skinning job I am doing.
Actually, it looks like something most model editors on this forum could do.

I still have no idea what you are trying to do, and your texture makes no sense at all.

Last edited by erwtenpeller : 02-07-2007 at 10:46 PM.
erwtenpeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:12 PM   #12
Kevin
User

-_-

Instead of lashing insults, you could've taken the time to notice that I had edited my post 2 hours after I had originally posted the pictures.

Also, instead of lashing insults, you could've taken the time to actually pay attention to my cries for help on knowing how to stick the skin on my %$*R(@% MODEL ert. Instead, I get that kind of TRASH from you.

I'm having a hard enough time trying to get this model finished to be exported into wc3.

How can my texture not make any sense? You mean the design itself? I copied my design from the texture of three models and edited them to fit all the stuff I needed.

I still have NO idea how to make the PLANES of my model import with hero glow. I STILL have no idea how to make the texture from the whirly wind that I took off of the Blademaster and stuck into my model.

SOMEONE SOMEWHERE knows how to reference those textures inside the %*()ING Model Editor without having to export and reimport.

ALL I'M ASKING is for help on that.

IF you can't help then STOP giving me insults, I'm having enough trouble with the damned search function for the questions I have.

PS: what I'm talking about is somehow when I was texturing my armor, I got a COMPLETELY different armor design. It's so differen't I can't figure out how I did it or how I'm gonna transfer it to the mounted version.

Edited: Here are updated screen shots:

If you notice, the armor looks NOTHING like the armor in the texture. I tried to make her look like a freaking footman and instead I got this crazy french layered skirt combination instead of a Saxon flat skirt. Also her bang is now driving me nuts. Look at how it's textured on one side, but not both sides. I want to scream. I can't figure out why it's texturing the bottom side and not the top!:O

I still don't know why or how to make my hero gloe planes or my blademaster whirly wind planes textured.

-_-

Once I am done with texturing this I don't know what to do next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg throw_away_currentmap1.jpg (55.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg throw_away_currentmap2.jpg (44.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Kevin : 02-07-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 PM   #13
map-maker
I smell like 1337 sauce.

Submissions (5)

map-maker will become famous soon enough (50)map-maker will become famous soon enough (50)

Ewrt isn't insulting you IMO >.>. The armor texture is probably different because you probably mapped it on wrong. Also, for hero glow all you have to do is make a couple flat planes with the glow texture that's already in the mpq.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:40 PM   #14
Kevin
User

No it was an insult, he was being insulting saying "anyone could do what I see, instead of actually looking at the time stamp and seeing that it had been edited 2 hours AFTER I uploaded any photos.

Yes, I know I mapped it out wrong, which is what is making the crazy design, it also ticks me off cause I try to map it on right because I need to make a mounted version right? But it got all screwey and now it became wrong! But it looks good! But I can't duplicate how I screwed it up!

Also:

PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO DO THIS

Quote:
Also, for hero glow all you have to do is make a couple flat planes with the glow texture that's already in the mpq

HOW do I do this? I have to do it the same exact way I make the textures for the blade master!

Do I export the hero glow texture into the same "filepath" as it is inside the .mpq file? If so, what is the file path? Then do I upload my custom model, but instead of uploading hero glow texture I just use the same filepath as inside the MPQ!?

This stupid haircut on my model is also ticking me off, it's mapping the underbelly of the Plane for her Bangs and not the top of the plane ARRGGGGG!
Old 02-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #15
map-maker
I smell like 1337 sauce.

Submissions (5)

you can choose which orientation to map the model from top,left,right,bottom. for the planes just click plane in ms3d and make a couple then look in wc3viewer or something else and find the heroglow texture, export it with whatever filename you want, import it into ms3d and put it on the planes then make its filepath the same as the filepath in the mpq.
EDIT: about the "insult", the "skinning" job you did was just cnping a couple of warcraft textures together, you really didn't make it on your own.

Last edited by map-maker : 02-07-2007 at 11:45 PM.
map-maker is offline   Reply With Quote