wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map Testing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #166
Toink
User

Submissions (3)

Toink is on a distinguished road (17)

Send a message via Yahoo to Toink

Quote:
But SCAMP... that sonofagun is impossible to kill too...

That fucken meteor and possession, will he ever die? That Oppressum thingy has a really fast cooldown.

BTW, the icy themed skeleton archer was whicked. Diamond Dust looked so awesome, too bad it can barely rape any hero. His 4th skill, the one where his two arrows split into 4 then split again, yeah a bit too weak. And shouldn't the ice barriers have pathing? Because when I tested it awhile ago, a phalanx and other guys went right through it. Overall that guy was so awesome, that skill where he shoots something that spins around and shit. I'm gonna try out Janise and that dwarf the next time I play, seriously how come some of you say Janise's cataclysm fuels his killing spree? I would just lift up bodies with Corpus Divium( or whatever Arro's Ulti's name is ) and he'll be blinking away. BTW, the tooltips are nice and all, but don't you think the names are a bit too foreign? Yep, it's like I'm playing a French skirmish game. And *sigh* flame-magnet-of-doom can explain what skills do better. E.g. Storm Bolt - A magical hammer is thrown into a unit stunning and blah blah blah. While in AotZ it takes me too damn long to figure out what it actually does, even with the "Targeting Type: Single Target, Effect : Stun " thingies. It's like reading a short story.
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 12-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #167
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
Sorry I don't play the same map all day and only like unique, original maps.
Who are you to judge uniqueness and originality?
Obviously noone of consequence.

Quote:
And *sigh* flame-magnet-of-doom can explain what skills do better
AotZ was a story before it was a map.
Therefore I tell its story through tooltips before anything else.
It's how it was meant to be.

You'll notice that the tooltips are plenty descriptive.
They just have extra fluff to go with the character they are on.

Quote:
It's like reading a short story.
Exactly.

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 12-15-2006 at 02:02 PM.
(9 deleted/ignored post(s)) [show]

Old 12-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Nasrudin
This message has been deleted by Captain Griffen. Reason: Spam/Flaming
Old 12-15-2006, 09:34 PM
illidan92
Old 12-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Rising_Dusk
Old 12-15-2006, 11:15 PM
illidan92
Old 12-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Toink
Old 12-16-2006, 01:46 AM
Rising_Dusk
Old 12-16-2006, 02:46 AM
illidan92
Old 12-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Toink
Old 12-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Rising_Dusk
Old 12-16-2006, 03:56 PM   #168
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

Thread cleaned.

Lets keep it clean from now on, hmm? Also don't engage in flame wars - just contact the relevent mod.
Quote:
[13:32] <Akolyt0r> hmm.. stil i want to have some unused women
Old 12-17-2006, 12:39 AM   #169
illidan92
Banned

illidan92 has a little shameless behaviour in the past (-10)

I think making the map a little larger for other things than just lanes would make it more unique, such as random side-quests. In my map Day of Defeat I have world events that will occur by chance at random times in a game. One of them is a truck with medical supplies that passes by the map and if the Allies protect it from the oncoming Axis soldiers (about 2/3 of their NPCs are commanded to attack it) they get a small HP bonus, and vice versa if the Axis destroy it. That could work beautifully in your map if it was a caravan with civilians and a gold bonus or something.

Some heroes have extremely powerful spells yet others have really crappy ones, like the samurai or something who can jump and whirlwind and then the tauren with his 1/8 damaging skills at twice the level.

Apparently I posted copywrited files here but I don't recall posting anything at all.

Last edited by illidan92 : 12-17-2006 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Copyrighted files and irrelevent stuff.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:32 AM   #170
Toink
User

Submissions (3)

Quote:
I think making the map a little larger for other things than just lanes would make it more unique, such as random side-quests.

There's a reason why people don't add in RPG stuff in their AoSes. AoSes are all about hero killing and creep grinding, adding side-quests would be hard. Suppose you had a side-quest that require you to hunt this rogue bunny? You are looking for it, but your base is being sieged, and it's along way back, and 3 heroes gang up on you, you hid from them then after that you saw the bunny, but you were left with 15% hp left from your enemies, and the bunny kills you with its 400 dmg attack, you just wasted precious time and your base's defences.

Quote:
Some heroes have extremely powerful spells yet others have really crappy ones, like the samurai or something who can jump and whirlwind and then the tauren with his 1/8 damaging skills at twice the level.

And yet they are still balanced. Dusk announced that his heroes could be retardedly powerful but still balanced. You may not have chain jumps, but you can lift bodies into the air and throw 'em away. You may not have telekinesis, but you can have possession, like Scamp. When there's powerful heroes with lots of nukes, there's always a counterpart that can deal with it, Champion of Blood can rape dwarf when I used Kharn. But people say the dwarf is impossible to kill.

Quote:
I have world events that will occur by chance at random times in a game. One of them is a truck with medical supplies that passes by the map and if the Allies protect it from the oncoming Axis soldiers (about 2/3 of their NPCs are commanded to attack it) they get a small HP bonus, and vice versa if the Axis destroy it.

Again, your map is an RPG.. I assume? Side-quests are a must for RPGs, and some other events.

I think I can play later, around 12 noon, I'll leave feedback once I get home.

Last edited by Toink : 12-17-2006 at 03:33 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:11 AM   #171
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Quote:

Well..
To be quite honest, every hero is very powerful if used correctly.
Something can do half the damage of something else, yet still be just as overall effective.
The balance issues are not so fundamental as "some heroes do too much damage."
The biggest nerfs anything ever get is maybe a -20 damage here and there or a nerfed cooldown.
That's all it really needs balance-wise. (And some other things I did for i)

And adding quests to an AoS would require the entire map function around those quests.
You can't just add obligatory side quests without throwing the entire map into disarray.
It just doesn't work that way -- At least not in AotZ. >_<
Old 12-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #172
illidan92
Banned

My map is not an rpg at all. It's actually, of anything, an AOS. It's in the map section just give it 1 shot please so you know what i'm talking about. The only reason why it could be something like an AOS is because enemy NPCs spawn at their spawn area. But whats unique about it and allows more unique things into the game is that the objective allows the map to not have lanes but be more of an actual terrain. To win a round you have to capture all 5 objectives (flags on the map). You do so by merely standing near it and waiting for 5-10 seconds depending on the flag and it becomes your teams. This allows flags to not merely be placed in the "base" (there is none actually just a spawn point) but all around the map, allowing it to be larger. It's far too late to change your map to something remotely like that though.

For the tauren guy I think his intelligence should be increased or the mana cost for his spells should be lowered by 15%.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:29 PM   #173
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
For the tauren guy I think his intelligence should be increased or the mana cost for his spells should be lowered by 15%.
He's a shotgun-style hero.
His high mana costs and low mana pool are fully intentional.
You could always buy a Pendant of Mana if you need more. :P
Old 12-18-2006, 11:31 AM   #174
Toink
User

Submissions (3)

Quote:
The only reason why it could be something like an AOS is because enemy NPCs spawn at their spawn area.

Nope, still not an AoS.. You know why? Here have a look at what you said..

Quote:
To win a round you have to capture all 5 objectives (flags on the map). You do so by merely standing near it and waiting for 5-10 seconds depending on the flag and it becomes your teams.

To win an AoS, you must powerup your hero and siege the enemy's base. To win yours.. well.. have a look above..

Oh yeah, I tested the tauren, fissure was quite ok, but the damage was really somewhat erratic. Because of the random direction a fissure goes, which is normal. But you could also add in cracks after a fissure, because fissures create a split in the ground. Maybe the warstomp effect without the red force thingy, a custom model preferably.. And his 3rd skill, the one where he deals AoE damage... Yeah, level 5... Deals 32 (!) damage to units around him.. Wowwwww, 32 only, would be good if the enemy's max hp is around 150-200. Otherwise, a waste of skill points. Even if he has a high chance to do it, it is weak. Add in a bonus, let's say units near him get knocked back 90-120 units away OR depending on his strength. If his strength is high, he deals more damage and knocks back farther and larger AoE. Let's say for example, Tauren 1 has 50 str. His skill lvl is 5, deals 32 + 80% of str, with an AoE of 160 + 85% of str, knock back distance is 160 + 180% of str. Let's calculate.. The damage would be 32+40, 160 + 42.50 AoE, distance is 160 + 240. So, 72 damage, 202.50 AoE, 400 knockback distance. But to balance it, he loses as much strength, he loses 10% of his maximum strength each time he does it for 8 - 12 seconds-ish. So the next time he does it, he would have 40 str left. So he would deal : 32+32 = 64 damage ( from 72, that's a big change and quite balanced. ), 160 + 34 = 194 AoE, with a knock back distance of 160 + 112. Another example, Tauren 2 has 100 str. He does his 3rd skill, dealing 32 + 80 damage, 160 + 85, with a knockback distance of 160 + 180. That's a whopping blow! The next time he uses it he does 32 + 72 damage, 160 + 74.25 AoE, 160 + 252 dist. Put it in AotZ.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:04 PM   #175
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
And his 3rd skill, the one where he deals AoE damage... Yeah, level 5... Deals 32 (!) damage to units around him.. Wowwwww, 32 only,
In an area the size of half if not more the screen.
Besides, it stacks on the guy you attacked, so it's like having a % chance to add 32 damage to his attacks that splashes AOE.
It's quite fine.

I am not going to overcomplicate the damned tauren with strength-based shit.
For example, there are SOME spells that do take into consideration a certain attribute, but I am not putting them everywhere.
This is not AoM, for Chrissake.

The Tauren owns shit in every game I ever play that he's picked.
He doesn't need some Godawful strength based stuff that risks more bugs just to make him more complicated and make his tooltips take up the entire screen.
I get yelled at enough about the complexity of AotZ, I'm not making it more "Wtf?"

Oh, and Fissure is already insanely FX heavy.
I don't think I need to add cracks to the ground -- It's a subliminal note that you only notice if you are looking for it.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:53 PM   #176
Deathlust
User

Deathlust has little to show at this moment (1)

Send a message via AIM to Deathlust

Umm Scamp can get quite ridiculous if played by someone with partial intelligence. I actually played more than one game of AotZ today, both times Scamp. The only times I died was whenever I was purposefully being stupid. (Like channeling on AK for an hour and a half, okay a little exaggerated, with super ultimate making him stay situated in our base while being raped to get a precision on myself since i stood there for practically the whole duration of the spell) I realize he gets very low HP, but he's a little easy to play. He farms well, he chases well, he escapes well, he does practically everything but tank well, and even then he comes up better than some other characters due to Agon & Opressum's durability (Spamming Agon to recover health in 3 seconds? That's rather powerful while still dealing heavy damage to enemies if you can devour them up with it)

What I guess needs to be done, is put Scamp on level with the other casters ATM, because currently, he seems very superior to them. I know I'd pick Scamp over my beloved AK, Vi, or Greel easily. He can siege better than Violet or AK easily (A simple Latro & Divum, that is meteor & fireball isn't it?, deals more damage in two seconds to a tower than they do over a long duration), he can HK better than the rest of the casters and survive longer again. I could ramble on and on about him in examples, but I don't feel like it. I don't know if you need to nerf him or buff other casters, but it'd be great if the casters could prove to be approximately the same level, just varying slightly to their own role (Like Violet would be better against heroes than Scamp who makes a better support and HKer than her, proving her kind've worthless).

Just do something to the little grunt.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:36 AM   #177
illidan92
Banned

Does the Necromancer guy have corpse explosion? Or does anyone for that matter? If so I suggest using my cool new one. It has a cool explosion sound plus it just blasts blood and dust outwards! I'm not advertising or anything but I just got done finishing it and i'd love to see it in this game as a great contribution ^.^! File size is only 13 kb too!

Last edited by illidan92 : 12-19-2006 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:48 PM   #178
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

AotZ 2.00i released.
See first post for log.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:22 AM   #179
Turkey_Slayer
User

Turkey_Slayer is on a distinguished road (10)

Send a message via AIM to Turkey_Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
The first traveling merchant! (AotZ was indeed the first, everyother AoS with one came after. :P)

Just noticed this, is that a joke?
Old 12-20-2006, 12:56 AM   #180
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

I'm not even addressing that question.