wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Concept Art / Fan Art
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 03-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #1816
artforge
User

Submissions (3)

artforge will become famous soon enough (30)artforge will become famous soon enough (30)

Send a message via MSN to artforge

Quote:
But enough with this hmm? my head hurts from all the thinking. More pengrinding. (?)
Hell yeah, I'm done with my rant and I think I've taken this thread too far off of it's original track, no more 'trolling" heh...
I don't have anything in hand to submit, tho, so I'll just wait here in my dark corner till someone posts something...
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 PM   #1817
Candy_Warlock
Hottie

Submissions (3)

Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)

Concept art session 2 - Battledroids

lol bauhaus

I kinda dig the whole bauhaus idea and swiss international design current.
I tried doin some trendy shit and it really didn't pass. i felt like a whore.

evrything MUST have a purpose, reason behind it. that's what i'll apply in my designs now. (graphic design not concept art :D).

---

To sorta bring it back on subject (again). I think what they want is totally reasonable. They want to stray away from fantasy bullcrap and stick to a real medieval influence. Also, being creative with the "functional" restraint is far more engaging. I just need to seriously get into it eventually. It's easy to come up with a "cool" design but good design is sparse. Omg I somehow came back to graphic design... lol
Old 03-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #1818
artforge
User

Submissions (3)

artforge will become famous soon enough (30)artforge will become famous soon enough (30)

Quote:
It's easy to come up with a "cool" design but good design is sparse.
That sums up all my rant up to this point eheheh... that's exactly it... "cool" is easy, REAL design (projectual, inovative, mindbreaking cool) is what is really hard (and entertaining)... like, it's nice to know purple goes with yellow and all that, that is nice for the final touch and making everything "beautiful", but the real problem is projecting the THING itself, like, how the hell could a webpage be "more" than a webpage, or how could a simple flyer interact with people and make them want to go to that really cool market around the corner... (psychological shit included, I love that, as much unethical as it is) and that does not mean one should go around making shit that does not serve a purpose, it is an even greater restraint that makes projecting that much cooler and challenging.

On a sidenote... I meant no offense for your work also, I did say the sketches were a little cliche, but all my anger is about the cliche part, not about them beeing cliche... if that makes any sense to you :P... (and on second thought, the idea of having a pure medieval feel kind of sustains the need for realistic cultural reference, that can't really be called 'cliche' as it is mostly just copying shit that have already beeing going for ages... but the game idea still sounds cliche, nonetheless, I could go on and on, but that would mean opening up a whole new thread and I'm not in the mood for it.. :p)

Also, as much as I want to get back to the thread's original purpose, I think it's nice to discuss such things, and this place seems appropriate, as there are a lot of future designers and artists around... if this disturbs anyone, let me know and I'll shut my trap.. :p
Now, back to my dark corner.....

Last edited by artforge : 03-13-2010 at 03:43 PM.
artforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #1819
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)

Skinning Contest #12 WinnerSkinning Contest 6 ~ Ancient Civilization

I don´t mind the discussions here, as long as it doesn´t turns in 2 pages of talking and no sketches that is :P... I actually enjoy reading this kind of discussions every now and then
NiRVaNa_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #1820
Candy_Warlock
Hottie

Submissions (3)

Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)

Concept art session 2 - Battledroids

None taken. They're just sketches. It could've been harder to take if they were polished designs that I worked hours on. But even then, I shouldn't take offense by criticism and nor should anyone. Cliché is a pretty vague and subjective term anyways but I think our cliché shares some common grounds. :p

I agree this kind of talk is appropriate for future designers and artists (albeit less for "artists" imo). Here being the only active thread really active in the concept art section makes it an appropriate place to discuss (we could put the obligation for future replies to include a picture - this is mostly directed at us for doing replies with no sketch).

I don't know if you could apply the same perspective of design onto concept art. To me, concept art is a sub-division of illustration. Illustration being a more design-minded branch of visual arts.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #1821
artforge
User

Submissions (3)

Quote:
I don't know if you could apply the same perspective of design onto concept art. To me, concept art is a sub-division of illustration. Illustration being a more design-minded branch of visual arts.
I guess you're right here..concept artist do go deeper into projecting sometime, tho.
Quote:
(we could put the obligation for future replies to include a picture - this is mostly directed at us for doing replies with no sketch)
Also agreed :p... I should have something worthy showing this week or so, I'll get to you guys as soon as that happens.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #1822
EvilNoodle
User

Submissions (1)

EvilNoodle is on a distinguished road (21)

Finished the minimap preview for my map, probably my best work so far.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rawr.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	979.1 KB
ID:	48393
EvilNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #1823
Shadow_Strike
Pokemon Trainer

Submissions (1)

Shadow_Strike is a jewel in the rough (168)Shadow_Strike is a jewel in the rough (168)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilNoodle
Finished the minimap preview for my map, probably my best work so far.
Attachment 48393

Nice work, particularly the blending is ace.

The composition's a little wonky and uninteresting though. With that much action going on, you could do to exaggerate the perspective a little bit, y'know have the naga closer to the viewer.

Also to note: everything has a very similar value, and it makes the picture kind of flat in terms of hierarchy.

The use of the stair case's diagonal nature to bridge the gap between the naga and elemental is very clever, and allows our eyes to travel between the two without a lot of problems.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #1824
EvilNoodle
User

Submissions (1)

EvilNoodle is on a distinguished road (21)

Quote:
The composition's a little wonky and uninteresting though. With that much action going on, you could do to exaggerate the perspective a little bit, y'know have the naga closer to the viewer.
Yeah that would be a great idea, i also remember artforge mentioning tilting the background slightly, however i forgot to check back on feedback during the making process.

I've noticed theres alot of things i can improve, but i never feel like working on the same piece more then one day, so i tendto force myself to do it. Is anybody else like this? xD

Atleast now i can tell for experience that you can never use too much time on the sketch.
EvilNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #1825
artforge
User

Submissions (3)

Quote:
i never feel like working on the same piece more then one day, so i tendto force myself to do it. Is anybody else like this? xD
I'm kinda like this.. (and I probably have ADD, so you should check that out, hehe...) I tend to start a lot of studies and never finish anyone of them up, also, If I'm working on something important, I usually prefer to do the max I can in one or two days, as I find it hard to concentrate again on what I was doing (like, restarting the piece is harder than continuing it).

Regarding the minimap, SS already beat me to it, can't add much to what he said, it's a pretty good piece, I like the way you blended the water (the tones blend very well!)
Old 03-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #1826
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)

Yeah, can´t add anything else either. Really nice piece, it has a lot of potential.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:09 AM   #1827
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

Quickie
Zoom (requires log in)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whalee.jpg (114.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 03-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #1828
Shadow_Strike
Pokemon Trainer

Submissions (1)

Shadow_Strike is a jewel in the rough (168)Shadow_Strike is a jewel in the rough (168)

Is that some pokemon up there nirv?
Wailmer!

These photos are kinda bright, though the last one is pretty good.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #1829
artforge
User

Submissions (3)

Are those studies or are they actual art pieces? they look nice nonetheless, I like the color, it kind of reminds me of fauvism.

and.... IS THAT A ZILLA!11!?!1?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #1830
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

Yeah, it closer to that monster rancher dude than a pokemon. Tho I didn´t had him in mind, just some random mental fart.

And I loooove those painting SS, lovely colors indeed. Where is that anyway? Is that some kind of expo or something?

Last edited by NiRVaNa_87 : 03-25-2010 at 10:46 PM.