wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Code Resources > Systems
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 04-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #31
Opossum
User

Submissions (4)

Opossum will become famous soon enough (59)Opossum will become famous soon enough (59)

meh... I meant 10,000 and 5,000. Forgot "." is actually a decimal seperator to normal people...

I hate Germany for its weird math and music habits (A H C D E F G anyone? I mean wtf!).

The default FAR_Z should be 10,000 though.
Opossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:57 AM   #32
Karawasa
Element Tower Defense

Submissions (2)

Karawasa has a spectacular aura about (78)Karawasa has a spectacular aura about (78)Karawasa has a spectacular aura about (78)

Approved Map: Tropical TagApproved Map: Element TD

Send a message via AIM to Karawasa Send a message via MSN to Karawasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
I'm sorry, but we all either go to university, work, do both, have lives, and an assortment of other things. The fact anything gets reviewed at all stands as a testament for our dedication to the website, its users, and the time they put into resources. Please do not question our integrity or dignity by posting such unnecessary and incendiary comments as you do; it makes you appear ignorant and I know that you're not.

This is an important point. If you find a spell unoriginal or unfit for the database, make a point to say that in the thread during the approval process. I say that it is slow by design for a reason - it is for submissions to receive ample feedback.

@Anitarf too,

I know, that is why I said "I realize you guys all do this for free." I fully understand that you guys don't have to do shit, and anything received is something to be happy for. I really wasn't complaining, and I have no personal stake in this whatsoever. What I was trying to do was point out what it looks like to others.

As for the spell, you guys are both right that it would have been much better to comment while it was still going on. While I loathe missing that opportunity, that still doesn't take away the fact that it was approved. I guess I'm just surprised at the standards here now. Again, no personal stake. I don't submit spells.

All in all, I have no doubt that you guys do the best you can do given your situations. If there is a shortage of time to get to things, then perhaps you guys should share burdens (i.e. cross boundaries, i.e. Rising_Dusk taking care of this submission if he had time when Anitarf didn't). If there is a shortage of people, then perhaps you guys should increase staff.

If my last post came across as incendiary, then I apologize. However, your integrity and/or dignity were never in question. I still think the points are valid though, and I think you guys should try and find a solution, if possible, to your limited time for submissions problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opossum
meh... I meant 10,000 and 5,000. Forgot "." is actually a decimal seperator to normal people...

I hate Germany for its weird math and music habits (A H C D E F G anyone? I mean wtf!).

The default FAR_Z should be 10,000 though.

You're the man, I'm going to try that now...

EDIT: So I tried 2500 down from the default 5000. It definitely helped but wasn't nearly enough. I can't go down further without major visual errors. Had like 15-20 creeps out and 6 towers attacking, resulted in FPS going from 64 to 45-50.

Element Tower Defense - Premier WC3 Custom Game

Last edited by Karawasa : 04-14-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Karawasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:22 PM   #33
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karawasa
I guess I'm just surprised at the standards here now
As high as ever. If the code is good and well-written and has been critiqued so that it is good enough, then it is good enough. It's that simple. There is a requirement in the submission rules that originality must be present in the design of the spell, and on that I will agree with you - it's not that original. It's certainly not trivial, though, so I won't say it's a bad addition to the database.

We're not going to approve a simple nova spell, though. At least the spell you linked has the configuration constants and functions available to be useful as more than just AOE damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karawasa
I still think the points are valid though, and I think you guys should try and find a solution, if possible, to your limited time for submissions problem.
Unfortunately, the only solutions are not spending as much time working on each resource or hiring new people, both of which are things we don't want to do haphazardly.

EDIT:
I was just wondering, why the heck is this system called the OppiCam?

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 04-14-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #34
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Upon my second review I noticed this hasn't been addressed yet:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
By the way, when calling the function, why do you check the distance twice of the actual camera's distance to target?
I was refering to the maxd variable.

You call InterpolateOffset twice instead of storing it to one of your local variables.

You don't need a loop in CamPeriodic, you could just use GetLocalPlayer for the whole thing:
Expand JASS:

You set two camera fields periodically even though they are constants and you could only set them when you apply the camera for the first time.

Your keyboard plugins should use Arrow Keys, there's no point in writing key event triggers yourself.

When testing ingame, when I view the footman at a very horizontal AoA, the camera gets some odd "hiccups" when standing near cliffs.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #35
darkwulfv
Alpha Male of Wc3c

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (6)

darkwulfv is just really nice (270)darkwulfv is just really nice (270)

Send a message via AIM to darkwulfv

Quote:
I was just wondering, why the heck is this system called the OppiCam?
Probably because the user's name is Oppossum. Oppicam. Get it? Lols.
a dota like map but with unique stuff
(There was no map attached, and that was all the thread said.)
Spells I've Made

Darkwulfv's Lightning Grapple || Tritanis' Lazy Bolt

darkwulfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:00 AM   #36
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Oh, I see. Lame. I was thinking he was going for Optimal Cam or something.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 AM   #37
Opossum
User

Submissions (4)

Opossum will become famous soon enough (59)Opossum will become famous soon enough (59)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwulfv
Probably because the user's name is Oppossum. Oppicam. Get it? Lols.
True. Fledermaus came up with the nickname and also with the term for the camera. Oppi sometimes leads people to the false assumption that Opossum is spelled with double p though. Fatal mistake if you ask me.

Quote:
You call InterpolateOffset twice instead of storing it to one of your local variables.

You don't need a loop in CamPeriodic, you could just use GetLocalPlayer for the whole thing:
Thanks. Fixed for next version.

Quote:
You set two camera fields periodically even though they are constants and you could only set them when you apply the camera for the first time.
I guess you're referring to FAR_Z and FIELD_OF_VIEW:
I set them periodically because if you manage to use your mouse-wheel during the game these camera fields will be reset to the default values. It's rare that one actually is able to scroll when using the camera but it happens often enough (like for example if you alt-tab out and in again, you will have control over your camera for about 0.1 sec) and that would screw your camera for the rest of the game.

Quote:
Your keyboard plugins should use Arrow Keys, there's no point in writing key event triggers yourself.
Alright I tried it eventually. Turned out to be quite useful actually :D. Just one thing: You should probably change these lines:
set horizontalQP[i]=-1 to set horizontalQP[i]=horizontalQP-1 So each "quickpress" will be counted instead of just the latest one. If you still want to know what key has been pressed more often you can still use the signum function.

Quote:
When testing ingame, when I view the footman at a very horizontal AoA, the camera gets some odd "hiccups" when standing near cliffs.
Hmm... someone already mentioned that here but I just can't seem to reproduce it. I'll do some more testing later.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #38
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opossum
Alright I tried it eventually. Turned out to be quite useful actually :D. Just one thing: You should probably change these lines:
set horizontalQP[i]=-1 to set horizontalQP[i]=horizontalQP-1 So each "quickpress" will be counted instead of just the latest one. If you still want to know what key has been pressed more often you can still use the signum function.
Well, it's intended for fast periodic triggers. You'd practically have to press the two keys simultaneously to get an override; why would anyone want to do that?

Quote:
Hmm... someone already mentioned that here but I just can't seem to reproduce it. I'll do some more testing later.
Well, the camera angle has to be low, so you should be near cliffs but you should be looking at the footman from a direction where there are no cliffs. Also, it seemed like the direction of the "hiccups" depended on how the camera was rotated relative to the footman's facing.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #39
Opossum
User

Submissions (4)

Quote:
Well, it's intended for fast periodic triggers. You'd practically have to press the two keys simultaneously to get an override; why would anyone want to do that?
Well I use a 0.1 second timer and the trigger doesn't register all my quickpresses. I guess it works fine as it is but I don't see any real problems with letting the QP values register all quickpresses either.

Quote:
Well, the camera angle has to be low, so you should be near cliffs but you should be looking at the footman from a direction where there are no cliffs. Also, it seemed like the direction of the "hiccups" depended on how the camera was rotated relative to the footman's facing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	hiccup.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	42170
like this? Nothing happens for me there.

Edit: Updated to 1.2. Fixes the stuff mentioned above.

Last edited by Opossum : 04-19-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #40
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Well, whatever the bug was it looks like it's gone in the latest version, so the only question I have left is why do you multiply by two here:
set maxd = 2*GetCameraField(CAMERA_FIELD_TARGET_DISTANCE)*Cos(aoa)
When sampling points for terrain height, wouldn't you need to sample them only as far as the caera is from the target position, rather than twice as far?

Last edited by Anitarf : 05-15-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #41
Opossum
User

Submissions (4)

That 2 is rather an approximation. If this system was only to avoid terrain clipping then this factor wouldn't be necessary but you might know that even if the camera eye is not behind the terrain it still screws up the cursor.
Look at this sophisticated drawing:
Click image for larger version

Name:	oppicamillu.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	43051

Although the cam is in front of the cliff the cursor will still be in it. Ordering the unit to move to a location you actually see will order the unit to move onto that cliff.

It turned out that the factor 2 is a pretty good approximation for the distance to the cliff that ensures a free cursor.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #42
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

I spent forever trying to find your testmap only to realize that it was the title of the first post. You shouldn't use [attach][/attach] tags, that way it shows at the bottom like most demo maps. Just a heads up. :)

I'm going to try the testmap now and see how this baby runs.

EDIT:
Holy shit, this runs like a dream. I wish Legacies used this back when I played it 40 times a day, Christ. Man this brings back memories..

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 05-15-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:43 AM   #43
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Well, in that case, wouldn't a constant increase to the check distance be better than an increase by a factor? The camera's size doesn't increase with distance to target, does it? Simply add 500 or some such number (whatever turns out to be adequate in testing) to maxd instead of multiplying it by two.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #44
Opossum
User

Submissions (4)

Hmm... I'm not sure if it's a constant distance. I think there's a reason I used that factor back then...
I'm gonna do some testing on that later.

Edit: Alright apparently it is a constant value and about 500. Going to add that constant to the system.

Edit2: OppiCam 1.2b is up.

Edit3: 1.2c

Last edited by Opossum : 05-16-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:55 AM   #45
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Approved.