wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Stories / Writing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 09-10-2008, 04:07 AM   #1
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)

Send a message via MSN to Ignitedstar Send a message via Yahoo to Ignitedstar
Default Give Me a Riddle... Or a Puzzle!

I'm pretty sure that everyone has heard a riddle at least once in their lifetime. If not, you have to be lying; doesn't "Why did the chicken cross the road?"-which has an infinite amount of answers- come across your mind?

An infinite amount of answers is good for a riddle. Whether you're looking for laughs or to get frustrated is up to the solver, though.

What I am looking forward to is simple: Post a riddle or puzzle of any kind (almost). They can logical or abstract. They can be ones that you've solved or ones that you've been stumped on, perhaps for a few minutes, hours, days, weeks, maybe months, and even years. They can be simple or complex.

I'm not looking for famous puzzles or anything. They can come from anywhere, whether you saw one in an ad, a game, or from someone you know. Make up your own if you want. You can even give the riddle/puzzle a title. Be creative. If you need a visual: Please draw/find one (to the best of your abilities) and post it with your entry.

If you do get a riddle or a puzzle directly from someplace other than yourself, please post where you got it from. If you don't remember where it came from, say so. No one likes to get convicted or be convicted with plagiarism. Who knows. Even though we're just going to do this for fun, it could still happen, so let's make sure that it doesn't.

A Note to Readers: Don't post "Why did the chicken cross the road?" or any variation of it. Come on, people. People have heard it too many times.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but please post answers to riddles/puzzles using the [hidden] tags. This way, you do not spoil answers for readers (unless you want to).

I think that's all. I'll start:

---

Along the Angles
Authored By: Myself
"I have five rectangular cards in my hand, and all of the cards are facing away from you. Each of the cards are marked with- in no particular order of the actual cards in my hand: a line, a circle, a triangle, a square, and a pentagon.

I give you all of the cards. How many 90-degree angles did I give you?"

Three Trolls, Three Cows
Authored By: Actually, this puzzle has been around for about a thousand years, and can be found in many variations.
"There are three Trolls and three Cows on one side of a river. You must get all of the Trolls and the Cows on the other side of the river using a wooden raft, but you must follow some rules:

1. The raft can't hold that much weight, so the raft can only fit up to two persons/animals every trip.
2. If the amount of trolls on one side are more than the amount of Cows on the same side, the trolls will get angry and destroy the raft. In other words, this is an invalid move.
3. The raft needs the weight of at least one passenger per trip, otherwise it will drift away, so this is an invalid move.

Small Hint: This puzzle can be solved in as little as 11 trips."
I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

— 1 Corinthians 13:1-2

Current Works:
None.

Last edited by Ignitedstar : 09-14-2008 at 02:21 AM.
Ignitedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
Tide-Arc Ephemera
Overdoses result in death

Submissions (3)

Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)

The Brothers Of The Mountains
You're an explorer and there's a lengthy road ahead of you, massive mountains dawn themselves onto the road. You come across a fork in the road and there's a brother standing left and right, at each path. One of them leads to lengthy, tormenting torture and death. One of them leads to the other side of the mountains.

There is a post between them that says...
One of us ALWAYS tells lies.
One of us ALWAYS tells the truth.
One question is all you have.

Getting past the perilous roads and to the safer side, what do you ask the brothers?

If you're having troubles getting help on WC3C or anywhere at all, please have a look at...
The WRONG way to ask for help and The CORRECT way to ask for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alevice
You may never stop our bioweapon! We mexicans shall rule the third world! Mwahahahahahahaha!
Please acknowledge that I use Mac and avoid suggesting vJass and other tools that don't work on it. Thank you.
Tide-Arc Ephemera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
RenegadeMushroom
User

RenegadeMushroom is on a distinguished road (18)

The One in the North
- Riddle created by me this time last year, approx.

I am the first one in the north, what am I?

- It has nothing to do with ice at all.

Last edited by RenegadeMushroom : 09-12-2008 at 01:54 AM.
RenegadeMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
Soulless Enigma
User

Soulless Enigma has little to show at this moment (0)

The Twins Who Aren't
Source: Savage Species, a D&D supplement, though it says it is much, much older.
A woman has a brother who was born at the same time on the same day of the same year. Yet they are not twins. How is this possible?

Some say that his tears are adhesive, and that if he caught fire he’d burn for a thousand days...

All we know is... he's called the Stig.
Soulless Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:30 AM   #5
Anopob
Yay!

Anopob has a spectacular aura about (120)

Could we post the answers we think we know in hidden tags, or this would be kinda just a riddle database and not really a discussion thread. Anyway, here's a clear riddle I remember from a DS game with something like Layton, found it in a thread in another forum as well:

THE MICE Solved
Mice have incredible birth rates. Once they hit two months of age, they can start giving birth to 12 mice every month. Therefore, if you had 12 mice at the beginning of first month and then went to three months, you would have 144 mice (as 12 x 12 = 144). So anyway, let's say you bought one mouse at a certain time (0 months).
How many mice would you have (say they don't die) in 7 months?

SIBLING AGES Solved
A brother and sister talk one day about their ages. They then understand that if the sister took 2 years of age from her brother, her new age would be twice the age of her brother's old age. How old are both of them?
Better Ways of Requesting For Help - Race Contest #2 WIP Thread (Bone Race)
As of December 1st I have my blue rep. Yay :D

Last edited by Anopob : 09-13-2008 at 04:55 AM.
Anopob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:39 AM   #6
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)

Send a message via MSN to Ignitedstar Send a message via Yahoo to Ignitedstar

Hmm... I forgot all about the hidden tags. X_X

Sure, but viewer discretion is advised.

A Subtle Arrangement
Authored By: I got it from here

"The picture below shows two large triangles, each made up of a number of pieces, each a rearrangement of the other. But one has a square missing. How can this be?"

I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

— 1 Corinthians 13:1-2

Current Works:
None.
Ignitedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:08 AM   #7
Anopob
Yay!

Sweet, thanks.

EDIT: Viewer discretion is advised.
Three Trolls, Three Cows

Did this long time ago. Alright so I'm going to use C = Cow, and T = Troll. Each line is one trip going from side A to B
  • TC
  • C
  • TT
  • T
  • CC
  • C
  • CT
  • T
  • CT
I think that is it, too confusing in this layout. And you said "more", so hopefully equal doesn't count.

The Brothers of the Mountains

Simply ask one of the two brothers, "if I asked your brother which way to go to the other side of the mountains, what would he say?" .. Then, go to the opposite. So it's like

Lying Guy = His brother says to go to the REAL other side of the mountains, but because he lies, he says the torture, so you go to the opposite (WIN)

Truthful Guy = His brother says to go to the TORTURE place, so he says TORTURE place, you go to the opposite (WIN #2)

The Twins Who Aren't

They're triplets.

A Subtle Arrangement

IIRC, one is slightly steeper than the other. Otherwise I have no idea.

Last edited by Anopob : 09-11-2008 at 04:09 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #8
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

More of a riddle here, but because I find it has an interesting history I'll say it:

"Why is a raven like a writing desk?"
The Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland
A Subtle Arrangement

Well, it's interesting to think about, but I don't see how this qualifies as a riddle. Seems to me it's just a fact: they're just arranged differently and— oh. I see, they have the same dimensions but the one on the left has less area because part is missing.

Weird.

Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request ThreadDone for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:02 AM   #9
RenegadeMushroom
User

RenegadeMushroom is on a distinguished road (18)

The Mice *This is an Answer Post*
Hidden information:
One. Because you said if you bought one mouse
RenegadeMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:11 AM   #10
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Answer:
Two Siblings

They are both two years old.

Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request ThreadDone for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #11
Tide-Arc Ephemera

Submissions (3)

Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)

Anopob you butthead you weren't meant to be able to solve it!!!11!1one!1!1

A few common ones that's been around for aeons, but here we go...

The Hanging Man
A man was found hanging in a church six feet off the ground. The beams on which he was hanging were extremely high up, the rope was very thick and would've taken a lot of time to manage, the carpet is drenched. How did this happen?

The Drowning Rest
A surfer who lived next to the beach was found on his bed, drowned. There was his sunglasses, his surf board, board wax, scissors, velcro and elastic in his room at the time. How did he die?

If you're having troubles getting help on WC3C or anywhere at all, please have a look at...

Quote:
You may never stop our bioweapon! We mexicans shall rule the third world! Mwahahahahahahaha!
Please acknowledge that I use Mac and avoid suggesting vJass and other tools that don't work on it. Thank you.

Last edited by Tide-Arc Ephemera : 09-11-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
Restor
User

Restor has little to show at this moment (4)

one riddle, I try to write it correctly in my english

From cottage go a man (M) and his dog (D) to home which is 30km far. The M is going 5km per hour and D is going 20km per hour. Now the dog is quicker, when he arrives at home, he immediatly run back, when he meet M, he immediately runs back to home. There he run back to M, and back to house etc etc.

How many Kilometers did dog run? (M moves 30km as mentioned above)
Old 09-12-2008, 12:33 AM   #13
Anopob
Yay!

Answers For My Riddles

The mouse one is correct, but it's supposed to because one mouse can't mate with itself. The age one I guess is .. somewhat true? But it's supposed to be both is #6.

The Hanging Man

There was a large icecube there that he climbed and bam hung then it melted.

EDIT: Woops.

Last edited by Anopob : 09-12-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:43 AM   #14
Tide-Arc Ephemera

Submissions (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is still unsolved :P
The Drowning Rest
A surfer who lived next to the beach was found on his bed, drowned. There was his sunglasses, his surf board, board wax, scissors, velcro and elastic in his room at the time. How did he die?

I have another one... also, aeons old.

The Walker
At day I walk on four,
At noon I walk on two,
At dusk I walk on three,
At night I go for rest,
What am I?

Irony
I'm bundled of the fancy and fluttery,
Words which are sugared, very buttery,
I make little sense at all,
Yet geniuses think I'm such a ball,
I can make idiots bawl,
I can make smart people brawl,
Maybe I'm hidden in me,
Maybe I'm your mind in a parody,
It's the arcane to make your mind up,
I'll cause your brain to wind up,
What am I?

Quote:
Old 09-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #15
deolrin
Tas'dingo!

Submissions (13)

deolrin is a jewel in the rough (167)deolrin is a jewel in the rough (167)

Send a message via MSN to deolrin

The Walker:
Hidden information:

A man. At day-baby. At noon-man. At dusk-old man with a stick. At night-hes dead.

The Hanging Man:

Hidden information:
He didn't hanged himself, he hanged someone else. I think XP.

~Gladiator, Sacred
deolrin is offline   Reply With Quote