wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 11-27-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
Ammorth
I blink, therefore I am.

Submissions (10)

Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)

Default Too many units cause graphical errors

I was just wondering the exact reason for the graphical errors. Is it the poly count reaches too high of a value for the video card, or is it to do with the wc3 engine not being able to handle drawing that many polies.

If you are unsure of the errors I am talking about, make a script to create 1000 footmen at the same spot.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
TotallyAwesome
User

Project Member: TBR

Submissions (7)

TotallyAwesome is a jewel in the rough (164)TotallyAwesome is a jewel in the rough (164)

Send a message via ICQ to TotallyAwesome Send a message via AIM to TotallyAwesome Send a message via MSN to TotallyAwesome Send a message via Yahoo to TotallyAwesome

Wc3 has a triangle rendering cap, so once it's reached, the game still renders things, but it can't be controlled anymore. Like, all the polys sticking out, going through everything, models disappearing, and shit like that. It's a known issue though.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
Kwah
Christmassy.

Submissions (4)

Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)

I think that it happens at different polys depending on the computer, doesn't it?

I might just be insane.
Kwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
TotallyAwesome
User

Project Member: TBR

Submissions (7)

TotallyAwesome is a jewel in the rough (164)TotallyAwesome is a jewel in the rough (164)

Send a message via ICQ to TotallyAwesome Send a message via AIM to TotallyAwesome Send a message via MSN to TotallyAwesome Send a message via Yahoo to TotallyAwesome

No, it's wc3's cap.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:54 AM   #5
Ammorth
I blink, therefore I am.

Submissions (10)

Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyAwesome
No, it's wc3's cap.

Thats what I thought. Anyone know the value or have a rough estimate on the number of polies that can exist before wc3 takes a shit on my screen?
Old 11-28-2008, 02:03 AM   #6
Nuclear Arbitor
Reputation Leech

Submissions (1)

Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)

#poly in footman X #footman
Nuclear Arbitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:44 AM   #7
Kino
User

Submissions (8)

Kino will become famous soon enough (69)Kino will become famous soon enough (69)Kino will become famous soon enough (69)

I got the same error too, it can be replicated with mass attack projectiles.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:36 AM   #8
Ammorth
I blink, therefore I am.

Submissions (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinorhynkar
I got the same error too, it can be replicated with mass attack projectiles.
Its not that I'm specifically getting the error, I was just wondering out of curiosity since the hero contest brings for the conversation about poly counts. I also felt this question didn't exist in the WIP thread, so I made my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Arbitor
#poly in footman X #footman
If I get time to test, ill post results.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:26 AM   #9
ShadowWolf
Mr. Awesome!

Submissions (1)

ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)

Approved Map: SheepGuard TD

It's not just graphics. The wc3 engine just doesn't handle large quantities of units well. Try spawning 400 units and order them to move somewhere- it will do it, but staggered, and not nearly as instant or fluid as say, 100.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:26 AM
ShadowWolf
This message has been deleted by ShadowWolf.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #10
Tide-Arc Ephemera
Overdoses result in death

Submissions (3)

Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)

We're talking graphical issues, not physical game-play issues.

Like, you don't actually need to see anything to play, it just makes it more fun, really.

If you're having troubles getting help on WC3C or anywhere at all, please have a look at...
The WRONG way to ask for help and The CORRECT way to ask for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alevice
You may never stop our bioweapon! We mexicans shall rule the third world! Mwahahahahahahaha!
Please acknowledge that I use Mac and avoid suggesting vJass and other tools that don't work on it. Thank you.
Tide-Arc Ephemera is offline   Reply With Quote