wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Artist's Discussion and Queries
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 06:22 PM   #1
RodOfNOD
Da Rodinator

User Project: GrŁesome

Submissions (1)

RodOfNOD will become famous soon enough (51)RodOfNOD will become famous soon enough (51)

Approved Map: Wartego

We are looking into better ways to show off the artists works as well as make it easier to request artwork.. Please put any constructive critiques, site changes or requests, as well as anything else that might make the wc3c art section more helpful.

Thanks

Rod
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 08-03-2004, 02:38 AM   #2
Oinkerwinkle
User

Respected User

Submissions (1)

Oinkerwinkle will become famous soon enough (30)Oinkerwinkle will become famous soon enough (30)

This thread would probably be better off in the Art Staff forum. You'll mostly get people making requests looking here.

I don't know about the rest of the subforums, but I have some ideas for this one...
Clean the stickies. I'd do it myself, but I'm not exactly in a position to override Dorelian, who I assume stickied most of the current stickies. I suggest removing the following:
- ARTISTS' CORNER GUIDE: This is pretty much the last subforum people will post in. We almost never get posts that should go elsewhere here and the forum is very specifically titled. So, having that sticky to point out the other forums probably isn't too needed/effective.
- Graphics Software: This may have been relevant when this was more of a discussion than request forum, but the people who look at it now are for the most part not looking for software.
- For Fans of the Old Warcraft Image: Why is this here?

In their place, I think a thread containing guidelines for making requests would be better. I just wrote some guidelines up... Do you have any suggestions/objections? If not, I think I'll post and sticky it.

-----------Guidelines post begins------------

By following these guidelines, you can have a much better chance of having your request fulfilled.

Choose where to post.
You can choose to post either in the forge or the main forum.
The forge contains threads in which people of offering specific services. If you pick one that seems to be active and not overwhelmed, you're likely to get your request answered. Be sure to read the rules they list in their first post before doing anything they've disallowed.
The main forum is for everything else. Do not post your request as its own thread in the forge.

Use a descriptive subject line.
Do not just name your post "Request", "Simple request", or even "simpel simple request!!". This is done very often and doesn't help the poster get any more views.
You'll benefit more by making the subject actually describe the contents. Prefixing the subject line with what you're asking for (skin, geoset merge, model, etc) is a good idea. For example, "Geoset merge/reskin - Werewolf" would be a good lubject line.

Keep it simple.
The easier your request is, the more likely it is to be answered. Very very few completely custom models are made here. if you're going for a new unit model, you're much better off coming up with a creative way to make it out of existing Warcraft units.

Be detailed.
A well-written description of what you want is very helpful. If you are asking for a series of edits, then it's a good idea to post a list of changes you want made. Including pictures is a big plus. Also, don't make references to fictional characters and expect people to know what you mean. Explain them with links and/or images.

Post coherently.
You'll be more likely to be understood and answered if you do your best with spelling and grammar. Leaving out punctuations and abbreviating words (like "thanks" to "thx") doesn't help in making it seem like you really care.

Originally Posted by Uninformed Requester
Subject: simple request
---
need werewofl bad

Good:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Requester
Subject: Geoset nerge/reskin: Werewolf
---
I'm hoping to get a werewolf model for my nearly-completed map which you can see screenshots and a description of here. I would like it made like this...
- Start with the demon hunter.
- Reskin him to have a furry chest, furry arms, tattered brown pants, and no shoes.
- Replace his current head with a wolf head (from the timber wolf).
- Give him Forest Troll Trapper animations.
- Remove the stand animation in which he flips over backwards.

-----------Guidelines post ends------------

Other than that... maybe a sticky in the forge that would be periodically updated that lists good (as in active and not overwhelmed) threads to request in, as deemed so by the moderators.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:16 PM   #3
RodOfNOD
Da Rodinator

Submissions (1)

RodOfNOD will become famous soon enough (51)RodOfNOD will become famous soon enough (51)

Very detailed info, I like it. This is what I'm looking for.

If anyone has any issues ie disagrees with Oinks please post here. I want you all to know that I prefer to get a general agreement (if possible) between the staff on any major changes.

The reason I put it here instead of just staff is that our forum people might have good suggestions. If they post a request for a model or something well just move it :>

Rod
Old 08-03-2004, 08:00 PM   #4
Oinkerwinkle
User

Respected User

Submissions (1)

Oinkerwinkle will become famous soon enough (30)Oinkerwinkle will become famous soon enough (30)

The thing is, none of the other staff looks here, as far as I know.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:41 PM   #5
icbm1987
Lost Knight

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (2)

icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)

Concept art session 5 - Super Villains

Send a message via AIM to icbm1987 Send a message via MSN to icbm1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oinkerwinkle
The thing is, none of the other staff looks here, as far as I know.

Oink? Are you paying attention? We are wherever you are.

icbm1987

Lost upon the winds of time...

Searching... for his lost Lord.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:42 AM   #6
Oinkerwinkle
User

Respected User

Submissions (1)

Sorry, I never see most of the staff actually post here at least.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:18 PM   #7
Jester-of-Death
User

Jester-of-Death is on a distinguished road (10)

um....asking your staff isnt really the best idea. think about it. if they had the skills or ideas that you need,you wouldnt have the job but they would. besides..some of tha art staff are a little pissed at this decision.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:05 AM   #8
FrostCyrus
User

Submissions (1)

FrostCyrus has little to show at this moment (0)

I know it's a little farfetched and nobody would want to do it, but here's an idea for gallery forums (if it hasn't been posted already).

You could allow gallery owners to show off their work the same way people look for stuff in the downloads section, and simply have comments and posts after the "gallery window".

If this isn't descriptive enough, please say so, so that I can explain more if I need to.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:40 PM   #9
RodOfNOD
Da Rodinator

Submissions (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostCyrus
I know it's a little farfetched and nobody would want to do it, but here's an idea for gallery forums (if it hasn't been posted already).

You could allow gallery owners to show off their work the same way people look for stuff in the downloads section, and simply have comments and posts after the "gallery window".

If this isn't descriptive enough, please say so, so that I can explain more if I need to.

Actually this is pretty much what we are going to be doing. Adding in the ability for artists to have their own galleries and thus have a more professional look. We are currently investigating several packages available and will be picking the best one we find.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:46 PM   #10
RodOfNOD
Da Rodinator

Submissions (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester-of-Death
um....asking your staff isnt really the best idea. think about it. if they had the skills or ideas that you need,you wouldnt have the job but they would. besides..some of tha art staff are a little pissed at this decision.

Im asking all parties, however I have full confidence in the staff being able to determine what the look of the gallery will be...

As for your signature, it being YOUR unique idea your gonna have to get in line there. I can guarantee you the idea to make a gallery on this site was my own idea, but since galleries have existed since man has made art my idea certainly is not unique. I take it you may have suggested it in the past but A) I didnt hear it and B) Galleries could have been made if YOU had REALLY wanted them to be made. All it takes is initiative and effort.

I take it you applaud this idea and will be helping us make it become a reality.

Thanks for the interest,

Rod
Old 01-02-2005, 11:02 PM   #11
storm_silver
User

storm_silver has little to show at this moment (0)

i am sorry to say but oinkerwinkle's idea may have good motives and logic but one key thing... people just don't pay attention.

this is only one instance but look in the forum in which this post(sticky) is located and look down for a post by me.

I came to this forum and thinking i don't want to look like a twat and i actually want to track down someone capable of doing what i am asking, i read this sticky given it is titled requests for suggestions, then i scrolled down to oinkers post, read it and thought i ought to do that it will give my request a more organised and possibly successful appearence.

so i go ahead make the post and check back the next day, nothing but there are several other requests written above mine in the format of the uninformed requester and, lo and behold they have been answered. I put this down to my request being quite a large one and that not that many people must have been on. check back a week later and still nothing...

pity because i thought the idea may well have worked, its one of those things which looks good on paper but just doesn't transfer to reality.

Sorry if i banged on a bit but i felt i ought to make myself heard.

Storm_silver
Old 01-18-2005, 12:49 AM   #12
wilbo
User

wilbo has little to show at this moment (0)

I think it is the luck of the draw...

or that people don't like reading the argumentative essay at the start of my requests... People have short attention spans these days...
Old 02-14-2005, 01:44 AM   #13
Lunarie

ahhhh, i cant seem to find out how to post stuff. i herd that i have to ask 'RodOfNod' for permission. but im not sure.

i would just like to post artwork. and my brother Frostcyrus hasnt been helping either, cause he wants me to 'figure it out on my own.' grrrrr...

please respond.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:45 AM   #14
icbm1987
Lost Knight

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (2)

icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)

Concept art session 5 - Super Villains

Send a message via AIM to icbm1987 Send a message via MSN to icbm1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunarie
ahhhh, i cant seem to find out how to post stuff. i herd that i have to ask 'RodOfNod' for permission. but im not sure.

i would just like to post artwork. and my brother Frostcyrus hasnt been helping either, cause he wants me to 'figure it out on my own.' grrrrr...

please respond.

If you want to post art in the forums... then go to the "Concept Art & Traditional media" subforum... and make a new thread and attach or link the images to that post.

If you want to post in the gallery that is in the Menu above... then you need to PM RodofNOD.

Go to your user CP (it's in the menu at the top)
Click "New Private Message"
Address it to RodofNOD and then send your request.

Alternatively, you can get on the wc3campaigns IRC...

icbm1987

Lost upon the winds of time...

Searching... for his lost Lord.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:15 PM   #15
RodOfNOD
Da Rodinator

Submissions (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icbm1987
If you want to post art in the forums... then go to the "Concept Art & Traditional media" subforum... and make a new thread and attach or link the images to that post.

If you want to post in the gallery that is in the Menu above... then you need to PM RodofNOD.

Go to your user CP (it's in the menu at the top)
Click "New Private Message"
Address it to RodofNOD and then send your request.

Alternatively, you can get on the wc3campaigns IRC...

icbm1987

Thanks for the help, he now has his very own gallery.

Rod
Closed Thread