wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Concept Art / Fan Art
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Would you like another Master Contest
Yes I'd love to see MC2! 39 70.91%
Perhaps, but with changes. 9 16.36%
I'm not bothered, I won't participate. 5 9.09%
No way, the idea is flawed. 2 3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 01:26 PM   #31
Jester-of-Death
User

Jester-of-Death is on a distinguished road (10)

how about :
beasts of burden for critters and mountable creatures
for the final master contest, create an entire race, 2 months instead of 1 month to do it.
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 05-23-2004, 01:30 PM   #32
icbm1987
Lost Knight

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (2)

icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)

Concept art session 5 - Super Villains

Send a message via AIM to icbm1987 Send a message via MSN to icbm1987

Huh?

I want to know what complaints you have about the current lineup first...

and the Denizens of the Dark forest includes gobbos, Ogres, gnolls, and Satyrs I think... mostly just stuff from the forest tileset.

Someone had a complaint about pandaren... why was that?

icbm1987

Lost upon the winds of time...

Searching... for his lost Lord.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:34 PM   #33
Jester-of-Death
User

yeah, was me about the pandaren. they are mostly from the madness of drug abuse by samwise and are in war3 mostly as a joke. their importance is minimal so i think before we have a pandaren contest we should at least honor other races implemented in warcraft since the begining like elementals or something
Old 05-23-2004, 04:35 PM   #34
Lil Blue Smurf
User

Submissions (1)

Lil Blue Smurf has little to show at this moment (2)

I don't know how I missed that octopuss before, but I freaking love it! (Its like the "good witch" version of the one in Little Mermaid :P) It just needs the other info to go with the pic. As for the other entries, most are nicely done and everything, but it seems like they are just slightly altered "plain" naga. I think originality should be worth a few extra points. The octo and armored fish thing took a lot more creativity imo.

I also have a question about skills: What happens when people come up with cool grandiose skills, but in reality there just seems to be no way to do it?
(My example would be detecting when a unit is in water to cloak it, as far as I know there is no way to check for that, or code to check for that)
Old 05-23-2004, 04:52 PM   #35
Jester-of-Death
User

I have removed most of my images from my entry for the moment to add to the surprise effect. I fear already this contest is a popularity contest as when I pointed out the similarity of 2 works( Metzen's and Marco's ) I was told off...well yeah..is this going to be art or the person you like and admire and stuff?

Smurf: What armored fish you talking about?
The octopus lady seems unifinished to me as it contains no more than 10 colors and has almost no textural base for the skinners to work from/understand.
I hope it doesnt turn out like the last contest where the easiest unit to make was chosen ( a tree I think it was ). IMO a concept is a concept doable or not.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:07 PM   #36
Moon_Lunatic
User

Respected User

Moon_Lunatic is on a distinguished road (10)

I'm sorry Jester, but you're beggining to get on my nerves. They didn't pick that entry because it was the simplest to make, they chose it because Undertow made it, who is a much better artist than you. Now degrading FUNG's artwork isn't appropriate either when he has come up with something more original than a water snake and is a respected member in our community. I don't see how you can think this is going to be a popularity contest, doing so is just rude. The last MC judged fairly and I don't expect differently for this one.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:10 PM   #37
Jester-of-Death
User

No offene to Undertow of course.
Whats with he's a better artist than you? , I havent shown more than 4 pics on these forums so dont make hasty judgements. Im not saying Im better than anyone so please dont get agro.
This exactly what I mean by this being a popularity contest, you cant give any crits about better known people here. Oh well

edit: Thanks for the negative rep... my entry is not an armored fish thats why I asked

Last edited by Jester-of-Death : 05-23-2004 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:24 PM   #38
icbm1987
Lost Knight

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (2)

icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)

Tone of a post makes a lot of difference.

From what I have seen you post, you seem to have a very good grip on english. So I suggest that you should try to formulate your questions or crits in a more positive manner.

And BLOODY HELL to a tree being easier to make then a slug... if that was the criterion then I would have won the first season.

And as for a unit being do-able... it doesnt matter, it's just a concept.

It's not a popularity contest, crits just have to be given in a more helpful manner, and they must be actual crits... not just noticed deficiencies. Give the artist a possible way to improve upon what you decide to crit.

Now all of you should calm down, I didn't re-open this thread so it could become a flame war.

icbm1987

Old 05-23-2004, 07:12 PM   #39
sansui
I iz sexy.

Submissions (6)

sansui will become famous soon enough (50)sansui will become famous soon enough (50)

Personally being a skinner I hate when the concept artist gives it a final texture and all its nive for the development process but as a skinner I like to have some freedom and not just recreateing the persons draw and colored picture.

And I think thats where there was problems withthe skinning portion. Because if the skinner is to follow the concepts all the skins will look similar.

And another thing I still dont see what abilitys or background info has to do with the concept art part...

Umm in the first contest I should have gotten a better rateing on "Relateing to season" I think for the undead season, because i drew a skeleton... (but owell i dont care i still won the skinning for that even though i had to rewrap the tree.)

Thats another thing im wondering about the modeling part.
Again will it be whoever makes it look like the picture wins or will the moddeler be able to take artistic decisions that he thinks will make it look and function better.

another thing maybe add another catagory for all the story tellers/ unit makers out there where they take the winning concept art make a background story and design its moves or have that first and people will have to draw concept art fitting the abilitys and the bg.

A sound category would be cool but... there probably wouldnt be many entries.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:51 PM   #40
The Lord
User

The Lord is on a distinguished road (10)

I tell by experience, you shouldn't be adding so many categories...

Once you reach the time that it will get REALLY BORING to run the contest, you'll deeply sorry for having made so many seasons...
Old 05-23-2004, 09:28 PM   #41
icbm1987
Lost Knight

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lord
I tell by experience, you shouldn't be adding so many categories...

Once you reach the time that it will get REALLY BORING to run the contest, you'll deeply sorry for having made so many seasons...

The man speaks...

and yeah... once it gets out of the "Traditional" Artist's hands... lots of the creativity is lost. Weren't there a couple seasons where there was only one skinning entry?

The thing is... that as the contest goes on... it is guaraunteed to lose it's novelty... and it will fizzle out...

I hate the thought that I might end up being the one administering the contest in this area... so many problems left unresolved...

icbm1987

Old 05-23-2004, 09:35 PM   #42
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)

Dont you worry now. I have many contacts that I can white knuckle into doing this if it gets desperate, which I dont see it doing so. This season has been more atcive than any in the first contest, and I intend to enter all 3 phases of 4 seasons.

Be excellent to each other.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:56 PM   #43
icbm1987
Lost Knight

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehorn
Dont you worry now. I have many contacts that I can white knuckle into doing this if it gets desperate, which I dont see it doing so. This season has been more atcive than any in the first contest, and I intend to enter all 3 phases of 4 seasons.

alright then... But I think Undead season was the most active... even more so than this one.

icbm1987

Old 05-24-2004, 03:02 AM   #44
Lil Blue Smurf
User

Submissions (1)

Lil Blue Smurf has little to show at this moment (2)

I thought I would put in my two cents too, I don't want to bring up the old arguments from last contest, but I think a lot of the problem with so few entries later on was that the people who had already won were not allowed to enter, which caused a lot of people to wait for their favorite one. With being able to enter any contest this time, I think there will be a lot of good entries. :)

(BTW I am trying to get my entry in, but my scanner doesn't seem to be working now that I switched to xp, so I gotta either find time to scan at work, or buy a new one :( )

Oh, and about the octo art style, I think it was perfect for a concept drawing, this wasn't a rendering or production proof, just concept :) And for the "armored fish" I can't recall exactly, but it was fish looking :)
Old 05-24-2004, 09:00 AM   #45
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

i believe night elf season was the most populair and busy last year... it had like the double amount of entries of the undead one, and much better overall quality. i mean, some of the undead last year where really, really bad...

jester, you are bitching about this being a populairity contest... but most of the time the better artists get more pupulair you see, there is no way to help it. when i first came here i really looked up to people like undertow, lazarusX and darkangel... wich have become much less active lately.

i will enter the goblin season, me and vig0r have a great hero planned out for it... (being big goblin fanboys ^^) allthough i dont think we can win with it... it might be a bit too funny lol...

btw B, this democracy thing is not working... everyone will want somethng diffrnet, so either make a poll to find out what the majority wants, or just make a disition yourself but do SOMETHING, if not we'll be bitching about ruiles and themes throughout the entire contest, this contest is about art and uniting moddlers skinners and concepters, not about... err.. other stuff '>"<