wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Artist's Discussion and Queries
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 01-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
moraru.cosmin1981
User

moraru.cosmin1981 has little to show at this moment (0)

Default naga as a 5th playable and separate race

hi all!

first off, about me, one important fact - i love water and swimming

2 years ago, in one summer, i sat out and created a custom map with the human player playing the naga race (just like in campaign)

when i created it, i used the Night Elf race to modify it.

i respected all standards, no overpowered units, heroes, structures or such !!!
so it wasnt a cheat map!

sadly, i lost the map with the HDD that died some months after.

however, i want to create again the playable naga race, except this time, i did not want to ,,parasite" one of the playable races!

in other words, this time, i want to make it as a 5th playable race, different and separate from the other 4 races!

ofc, STANDARD ....not some OP cheat race, obviously!

on google,i found a page with what i thought was a tutorial (sadly, it was just a few lines of text and nothing more...), which said there are 3 methods to make a custom race in w3:
i) use one of the existing ones
ii) duplicate one of the existing ones and use existing campaign units to make it - this requires a selection method to allow the user to choose the custom race
iii) make it from scratch, totally separate and different - this also requires a selection method to allow the user to choose the custom race

i want to do step ii) - duplicate an existing race, and use the existing Naga buildings and units to model it

i allready did this once, 2 years ago and it was working out beautifully - this time, i want it as a separate and selectable 5th race

i would gladly pay real $$$ if a proven tutorial could aid me to add the 5th race --- just on exactly HOW to add a 5th selectable race (and NOT on how to do the units, structures and heroes..i allready know how to work those)

thanks

PS: sorry if this is in the wrong forum ... i thought its artist ideas and development

Last edited by moraru.cosmin1981 : 01-26-2015 at 12:54 PM.
moraru.cosmin1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 01-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

There are two main methods of giving players more than 4 races to choose from:
  • Display a race selection dialog to players when the game starts and spawn starting units depending on which race a player selects in the dialog.
  • Use the handicap setting to extend the race choices in the game lobby. This method is used by the Custom Race System.
The first can support any number of races, although beyond a certain number you need to implement a multiple-page dialog. Not an issue in your case since you only want 5 races. The problem with this approach is that not all players start playing at the exact same time depending on how long it takes them to select a race. Also, in-game dialogs are not that great in terms of UI design, I don't really feel that they belong in a custom melee.

The second approach can support up to 24 races, again not a problem in your case since you only need 5. The disadvantage of this approach is that players who play for the first time don't really know which handicap corresponds to which race - in your case, you can just make all handicaps below 100% result in the Naga race, which is simple enough that you can explain it in the map description.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
moraru.cosmin1981
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
There are two main methods of giving players more than 4 races to choose from:
  • Display a race selection dialog to players when the game starts and spawn starting units depending on which race a player selects in the dialog.
  • Use the handicap setting to extend the race choices in the game lobby. This method is used by the Custom Race System.

many thanks for answering!

and how exactly do i do this? how do i make it so all handicaps below 100% result in the naga race?

also, with this ...will all the other 4 classic races be playable at same time?

in other words - i choose naga....can the other guy choose any of the 4 classic races or the nagas, as he freely wishes?

thanks alot
Old 01-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
moraru.cosmin1981
User

Nad how exactly do i do this..? make it so that less than 100% activates naga race ?