wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Ghost Forums > Map Database
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 09-06-2008, 07:25 AM   #136
2-P
la la la

Terrain Moderator

Submissions (14)

2-P is a glorious beacon of light (425)2-P is a glorious beacon of light (425)2-P is a glorious beacon of light (425)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
but I did replace the Crystalline Band
Duskyyy <3
2-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 09-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #137
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Haha, yeah 2p, that one was long in coming. :p
Old 10-13-2008, 02:53 PM   #138
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Been a month and I still haven't updated because of time constraints and that I apparently suck. When I quit sucking, I'll move this back from maps and campaign projects.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #139
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

FROM THE DEPTHS I COME!... With an update! See first post for details.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:50 AM   #140
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)

All doodats are displayed as invisible model boxes.
Optimization problems?
Old 11-09-2008, 01:01 AM   #141
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Doesn't happen to me or the dozens of people I was in-game with, just played 6 games straight. Make sure you don't play ToB N before this or something.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #142
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
Doesn't happen to me or the dozens of people I was in-game with, just played 6 games straight. Make sure you don't play ToB N before this or something.

LoL I was playing ToBN.
Strange world this is ...
Old 11-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #143
Vestras
User

Project Member: LoC

Submissions (4)

Vestras will become famous soon enough (40)Vestras will become famous soon enough (40)

Damn, those new icon sets are sexy. I've always loved Genobee, now I just love him/her (?) even more.

Last edited by Vestras : 11-09-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Vestras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #144
Shade987
User

Submissions (1)

Shade987 is on a distinguished road (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestras
Damn, those new icon sets are sexy. I've always loved Genobee, now I just love him/her (?) even more.
Yeah, I really like Kassar's too. Really works a lot better then the old ones.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:34 PM   #145
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohadar
LoL I was playing ToBN.
Strange world this is ...
It's because ToB N used an older version of the Widgetizer. If you play a map made with the same version, you won't have any issues.
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:56 AM   #146
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Released the predictable fix version for every new big version. Everything should be much better now. <3
Old 11-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #147
Kwah
Christmassy.

Submissions (4)

Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)

/cheer. While I still prefer AotZ, glad to see that this is progressing well.
Kwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #148
TopWolf
User

Official Map Reviewer

TopWolf will become famous soon enough (36)TopWolf will become famous soon enough (36)

I reviewed this before and have played it many times. Desert of Exile is simply an excellent game that deserves to be in the database.

Approved
Old 11-19-2008, 01:59 AM   #149
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)

Send a message via MSN to Ignitedstar Send a message via Yahoo to Ignitedstar

Okay... This is what I think...

Desert of Exile takes a very BIG step away from Advent of the Zenith. I didn't like and still don't like AotZ, because of how long a game can last. I've been reading topics (and have been), and from what I can tell, it's only because I'm not playing with the right people. Well, that's not very fair. The game is shorter only because I'm playing with the right people? Who are these right people? Personally, I don't want to spend hours trying to find the right people to play AotZ with, when I end up in a AotZ game for more than an hour, anyhow- after everyone's hit maximum level and we're just playing seesaw.

A friend of mine who does like AotZ usually only plays to a certain point (he shares my view that AotZ can last for too long, though). For example, he ends the game when both of the top and bottom bases have been beaten, not the actual main base. That's a good idea, because it aims to make the game shorter, but it doesn't always...

DoE does a lot of things that I think AotZ could've done better. For one, item building is minimal, even more so than in the pre-sequel, or whatever you want to call it. Although I want to applaud you for doing that- keeping something that was originally simple and slightly changing it so that it works for you, it has its downside, as well. Don't mistake me, though; I'm not looking for recipes or whatever-the-heck-else has appeared in other maps. Well... I don't want to suggest you to change things, because I don't really have a place to say that. It's your map. Because I'm lazy and don't want to find a metaphor, making a map is like making food: You make it how you like it.

The same thing goes for the heroes. I love how your attempt to make a story and hand it to them (and I swear DotA copied from you; their hero descriptions were never like that before lol). But... I have to emphasis the "attempt". Dusk, if you really wanted to make story... I think you should have stuck with a story. A few friends of mine had a dispute about this, and I told them that a story can't be skipped. If it can be, then the story ends, and that's it. Unfortunately, and especially in an AoS'es case, it can be, yet the map lives on. It's similar to any campaign/scenario for any game; if you never paid attention to the story and just played it, it isn't really there to begin with. I'm not trying to say that it's a waste of time... Now that it's all there, I don't see a point in getting rid of it, because it'd just be more work for you. Consistency- in any pattern, shape, or form, is a key fundamental for any writer, so I shouldn't be complaining.

I don't know, Dusk... I'm not going to say that the map isn't bad. Does it deserve a spot in the database? Sure it does. However, I said it before: You make it how you like it... I guess I don't have the same tastes as you. It reminds me of the Last Unicorn when Prince Lir tries to win Lady Amalthea's heart by doing many "great deeds", but that's the problem. Like Amalthea, I just don't see them as great.

EDIT: I hope I didn't confuse you or anything... lol X_X
I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

1 Corinthians 13:1-2

Current Works:
None.

Last edited by Ignitedstar : 11-19-2008 at 02:01 AM.
Ignitedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:20 AM   #150
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Hidden information:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitedStar
Okay... This is what I think...

Desert of Exile takes a very BIG step away from Advent of the Zenith. I didn't like and still don't like AotZ, because of how long a game can last. I've been reading topics (and have been), and from what I can tell, it's only because I'm not playing with the right people. Well, that's not very fair. The game is shorter only because I'm playing with the right people? Who are these right people? Personally, I don't want to spend hours trying to find the right people to play AotZ with, when I end up in a AotZ game for more than an hour, anyhow- after everyone's hit maximum level and we're just playing seesaw.

A friend of mine who does like AotZ usually only plays to a certain point (he shares my view that AotZ can last for too long, though). For example, he ends the game when both of the top and bottom bases have been beaten, not the actual main base. That's a good idea, because it aims to make the game shorter, but it doesn't always...

I recognize that you are familiar with AotZ and all, but I think it's sort of unfair to be comparing DoE to AotZ. They're totally different animals altogether. These comments seem to belong more in the AotZ thread in the database, since really they don't apply to DoE at all. (DoE games with the most perfectly matched teams last 45m at most. Even that's generally pushing it.)
Hidden information:
Quote:
DoE does a lot of things that I think AotZ could've done better. For one, item building is minimal, even more so than in the pre-sequel, or whatever you want to call it. Although I want to applaud you for doing that- keeping something that was originally simple and slightly changing it so that it works for you, it has its downside, as well. Don't mistake me, though; I'm not looking for recipes or whatever-the-heck-else has appeared in other maps. Well... I don't want to suggest you to change things, because I don't really have a place to say that. It's your map. Because I'm lazy and don't want to find a metaphor, making a map is like making food: You make it how you like it.

DoE actually makes very good use of items, though, something AotZ makes no attempt to do. Item building in DoE by no means runs the show, but you're shortchanging yourself a ton by ignoring items. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Hidden information:
Quote:
The same thing goes for the heroes. I love how your attempt to make a story and hand it to them (and I swear DotA copied from you; their hero descriptions were never like that before lol). But... I have to emphasis the "attempt". Dusk, if you really wanted to make story... I think you should have stuck with a story. A few friends of mine had a dispute about this, and I told them that a story can't be skipped. If it can be, then the story ends, and that's it. Unfortunately, and especially in an AoS'es case, it can be, yet the map lives on. It's similar to any campaign/scenario for any game; if you never paid attention to the story and just played it, it isn't really there to begin with. I'm not trying to say that it's a waste of time... Now that it's all there, I don't see a point in getting rid of it, because it'd just be more work for you. Consistency- in any pattern, shape, or form, is a key fundamental for any writer, so I shouldn't be complaining.

I don't advertise the story by any means, nor do I claim it to be some ground-breaking aspect of the map in the first place. As a matter of fact, if you read the first post, you'll notice that even I skip telling users that there is a story. The story is only there for those who care about it, it by no means hurts or detracts from the game for those who don't. By that logic, it's only doing a map good to have a story as it makes a few like it more and doesn't change the game at all for those who don't.
Hidden information:
Quote:
I don't know, Dusk... I'm not going to say that the map isn't bad. Does it deserve a spot in the database? Sure it does. However, I said it before: You make it how you like it... I guess I don't have the same tastes as you. It reminds me of the Last Unicorn when Prince Lir tries to win Lady Amalthea's heart by doing many "great deeds", but that's the problem. Like Amalthea, I just don't see them as great.

Well, you're entitled your opinion. I don't even know if this was a review or not, though, it seems like you're just discussing your thoughts on some of my design decisions as they apply to my maps in general, not DoE. DoE is all about the gameplay, and if it weren't for the gameplay, no one would play it at all. Seriously, give it a try and let yourself be engulfed by the moment. It gets me every time I do the same. :)