wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Sound / Music
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 12-31-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm
Question Ogg Vorbis Files?

What are Ogg Vorbis (.ogg) files used for, anyways? I seem to remember hearing something about them being supercompressed .mp3's, but I can't be too sure about that.

Aside from what they are, what programs use them (I know Audacity does)? Can you use .ogg files as WC3 sounds/music?

Just wondering...
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 01-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
karukef
User

karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)

.ogg files is an alternative to .mp3 files. Although they offer better compression vs quality ratio, the main advantage is that it is free for programmers to use .ogg encoding/decoding (i.e playing) algorithms whereas .mp3 is patented. (That is, Warcraft III had to pay to use .mp3 while it could have used the superiour .ogg format for free)

You can not use .ogg in War3 because War3 only supports decoding .wav and .mp3

As for what programs use .ogg, that depends. Many new games use them for the patent reasons mentioned, and a broad range of audio-editing programs as well, but obviously the main use of .ogg, like .mp3, is to share music over the net. Some neat .mp3 players also play .ogg
karukef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
jigrael
Worker Ant

Project Member: PoC

Submissions (36)

jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceBattle Droids Model Competition Winner

also ripped movies come with ogg audio sometimes ;)
Old 01-12-2007, 11:36 PM   #4
Thannis
User

Thannis has little to show at this moment (5)

Send a message via AIM to Thannis Send a message via MSN to Thannis

For .ogg files, I went and got Winamp, which works pretty well.

Quote:
Ogg is a patent-free, fully open and standardised multimedia bitstream container format designed for efficient streaming and manipulation (concatenation and muxing) by the Xiph.Org Foundation.

If you really want to know more, took that from wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg

http://winamp.com/
Old 01-13-2007, 12:37 AM   #5
Mezzer
:emote_grin:

Submissions (1)

Mezzer has a spectacular aura about (77)Mezzer has a spectacular aura about (77)Mezzer has a spectacular aura about (77)

Send a message via MSN to Mezzer Send a message via Yahoo to Mezzer

Serious Sam uses .ogg!

That sounded so like a commercial! And was so worth it!
Mezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Hmmm.

Thanks for satisfying my idle interest
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
Fwu3na2
User

Fwu3na2 has little to show at this moment (0)

Aquanox 1 has ogg. as Music Files
Fwu3na2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Dan van Ohllus
This message has been deleted by Dan van Ohllus. Reason: avoid necropost