wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > General Mapping Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 11-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #61
Pheonix-IV
I want you inside me...

Submissions (17)

Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)

If you have a bone named 'Bone_Turret' in a model then if that model is used for a building and it attacks something the 'Bone_Turret' will spin to face towards the attacker (no effect if unit.)
As for the ability 'turret' all i've ever had it do is crash the game. My guess is that it was one of the abilities originally designed for the Siege Tank when it was going to be a proper tank with a turret and everything, but since that didn't last, the ability wasn't programmed and it was just left there.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:00 PM   #62
karukef
User

karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)

Quote:
AItg (Damage Bonus): An attack bonus of -1 is often required for invisible casters if you want to cast attack enhancing abilities on units. Just set the base damage of the caster to 0, the number of dice to 1 and the sides per dice to 0 and give the caster your custom damage bonus ability. This way the caster won't deal any damage but attack enhancing abilities will still come into effect. This comes in handy to add certain buffs or to add some unique effects like liquid fire, freezing breath, slow poison or arrow abilities. Higher negative numbers can be used to heal targets by the way.

Just a random mention: Setting base damage to -1 and attack dices to 1/1 for 0 damage attack, is every so slightly easier :)

Also, a modified ensnare is the perfect ability to disable movement only for units, while still allowing them to attack and cast spells. Setting the data-field Air Unit Lower Duration to a very high value prevents the units from being lowered if they happen to be positioned above the ground.

Last edited by karukef : 12-29-2006 at 06:02 PM.
karukef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:51 PM   #63
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by karukef
Just a random mention: Setting base damage to -1 and attack dices to 1/1 for 0 damage attack, is every so slightly easier :)

Also, a modified ensnare is the perfect ability to disable movement only for units, while still allowing them to attack and cast spells. Setting the data-field Air Unit Lower Duration to a very high value prevents the units from being lowered if they happen to be positioned above the ground.

Cool. But the ability method works for single units rather than unit types, so both tricks may be useful.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:44 PM   #64
karukef
User

karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheJasser
Allright... have a you allredy checked if the flying height trick works afterwards?
I ask this as Entangling Roots disables the trick for that single unit forever!!

NOTE: CURRENTLY THERE IS A DISCUSSION ABOUT THE EXISTANCEOF THAT BUG IN THE TRIGGER SECTION

NOTE: The bug you mentioned and it's thread was disproved before I posted here :)
karukef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #65
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
. . .

Submissions (21)

WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)

Default How to make missiles fall from the sky

I'm sure you all know about the models like the infernal meteor, or the rain of fire effect, and especially starfall. However this tutorial will teach you how to make missiles fall from the sky, without having to edit models, or trigger anything.

STEP 1

Create a new unit, and set its attack stats to regular values (if they aren't already)

-set the attack type to anything but instant or normal. These two types either show nothing or create the missile instantly on the target.
-set the missile arc to 0. I,ll explain later
-all other settings can be anything you want (the missile art, the area of effect, whether the missile follows the target, etc..)

STEP 2

Now we want the missile to actually "fall from the sky". Simply look in "art - missile launch Z offset". This sets how high the missile starts to fall, for example, the cannon tower,s missile would launch from the ground if it wasn't for this setting.

The default maximum value is "1000", but even that looks weird. So SHIFT + Click on the setting, and change it to something higher, like 2000. The higher it is, the steeper the angle at which the missile falls. This can also affect how fast the missile falls as well, but that problem can be countered by a slow missile speed.

STEP 3

So now we have our falling missile, simple, isn't it? Different effects can be acheived by different settings. For example, a slow movement speed will make something like a bomb falling from a high flying plane very slow. Its more dramatic, really. You could always make the missile follow the target.

Don't forget to set the missile arc to 0, or else the falling missile will have an arc, and not only is that irrealistic, it makes it much stranger to look at, and also affects falling speed.

The advantages to this method, compared to an "instant" type attack with a model:
-you can deal area of effect
-saves filespace
-allows for much more customisation, you can't make a model go slower witout even more model edits, or make it steeper.

And yes this tutorial is small, and simple. I don't currently have access to a WE, so no I can't post a screenshot, or a demo map.
[21-10-16] Ash: WILLTHEALMIGHTY, IT IS NOT SAFE OUT THERE, TAKE THIS!
[21-10-16] Ash gives WILL a kitten.
WILL THE ALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #66
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Bert asked me to add this to the discussion --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Permanant Immolation based skills with multiple levels have a bug.
You have to pause/unpause the unit on it for the damage to update properly per level.

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 01-13-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:12 AM   #67
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

The "Dark Portal" ability (ANdp) can be used to summon random units. If you want to have a summon that has a chance to spawn Unit A, Unit B, or Unit C, just add Units A, B, and C to the list of summons and set the maximum number of summons to 1.

Though I believe the spell has to target a point, which would be kinda pointless. (No pun intended)
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #68
Troll-Brain
User

Submissions (1)

Troll-Brain has a spectacular aura about (134)

Amov : if you remove this ability from a unit, the unit cant move but still use an ability, of course if you dont need to move ...
you'll need to chaos transform the unit into a different temporary unit type and immediately transform it back, for move it again

Aatk : if you remove this ability from a unit, the unit cant attack but still use an ability and move
you'll need to chaos transform the unit into a different temporary unit type and immediately transform it back, for make available the attack
Troll-Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:50 PM   #69
chobibo
100% Genuine Retard!

chobibo has a spectacular aura about (101)chobibo has a spectacular aura about (101)chobibo has a spectacular aura about (101)chobibo has a spectacular aura about (101)

Send a message via Yahoo to chobibo

hey guys just wanted to ask you about the tooltip of the skill barrage, It says " Fires powerful rockets at nearby enemy air units, dealing <hrtt,mindmg1> - <hrtt,maxdmg2> damage per hit. " I was wondering where I could find the hrtt, maxdmg2 field , I know that hrtt is the unit steamtank[barrage] but if i try to view its fields there are no sign of this data field. I just wanna know where it is so i could reference it , I tried changing the base attack (attack type 2) of the unit hrtt(steamtank) but it did'nt work. Could you guys help me out. thx in advance

Last edited by chobibo : 01-31-2007 at 03:53 PM.
chobibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:32 PM   #70
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

In Units\UnitMetaData.slk
Also this is a tutorial, not the best place to ask a random question.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #71
Cilla
User

Cilla has little to show at this moment (0)

call UnitRemoveAbility(u, 'Aloc')

can u change that somehow?

i only want the following to be true

This solution has some side effects. The health bar above the unit as well as the player name when you move your mouse over the unit will not be shown any more. So this would also be a trick to get rid of those tooltips and health bars.

I need no healt, mp bar and no name
but the rest is do need
Cilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:47 PM   #72
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)

Approved Map: Mortar Ball

Send a message via MSN to iNfraNe

Mike, I've found something (dunno if it was known, but it isnt in the guide at least).

You can use the goblin land mine ability to make a unit have 0 collision size. Simply set the data fields to -1000000 and the cast range aswell. This way the unit will not die when another unit comes in range.

Downside: disables movement.
The Spirit of Vengeance (Cinematic, Blizzard contest winner)
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball

Last edited by iNfraNe : 05-16-2007 at 07:54 PM.
iNfraNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:23 AM   #73
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Submissions (12)

Nice finding, I will have to update the guide.

Cilla, the described solution should work for you. UnitRemoveAbility will remove all side effects of Aloc except for the things you want to be hidden.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #74
xombie
Banned

xombie has a spectacular aura about (79)xombie has a spectacular aura about (79)xombie has a spectacular aura about (79)

I'm sorry whenever somebody comes across this... that shadow guy who has a protoss avatar is -retarded-. He directly quoted Pitzer with the wrong quote:
"Spellbook contains 12 spells" he said that Pitzer said. REALLY Pitzer infact said 11, as shadow tried to "correct" him on.

He constantly made reference to things you said, as if you didn't say them. I seirously think he should recieve some snerious bad rep for his post, shows a complete lack of attentiveness and absolutely no consideration for the one who has to go through and check all his incompotencies.

Nothing he stated was true. His constant disagreements with Pitzer all contained false information that he seemed to have made up. If he wants to make things up and not read, then he should not post. Think before you speak, in other words.
xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #75
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

What are you talking about?
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote