wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Project Recruitment
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 12-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
karukef
User

karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)

Default VoD2 - Solid project seek skilled coder

Valley of Dissent 2 is an AoS-style map, being developed among others by the same people that made Valley of Dissent, the map that DotA was originally based upon. The project is progressing smoothly and is approaching it's first release.

Information can be found in the very old thread and in this (preferrably) much newer thread.

The core team consists of two very active coders as well as a dedicated terrainer, and we consider our work to be of very high quality. It is without doubt already among the most advanced and solid War3 maps ever created and uses state of the art tools such as WeWarlock to the fullest.

I believe we can offer the following benefits to a skilled coder that wish to join our team:
  • Mainly spell and ability-related coding, without having to worry about boring system-coding.
  • Contribute to a solid project that is actually nearing release.
  • Work with serious people that know what they are doing.
  • Learn all the ways WeWarlock makes War3 editing a much more pleasant experience from it's creator.
  • Enjoy a map environment that is very structured. We even use SVN (source control software) that allows collaberation to work very smoothly.
  • Code is separated in many .j files, giving you full control and overview of what you are working on without being overwhelmed. It basically makes it rather comfortable to code in this project.
  • The map, when finished, will be heavily promoted to secure that your hard work is actually enjoyed by people.

This request goes out to anyone that wish to see their skill and potential realized in a high quality map. Yes, we all love to make our own projects, that's what makes War3 modding so fun. But if you really want to see a finished project, I promise you are making a good bet by contributing to VoD2.

All we ask in return is maturity and competence in War3 modding.

Do not hesitate to PM me or visit our forums. We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Last edited by karukef : 12-08-2006 at 07:31 PM.
karukef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 12-08-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
Chuckle_Brother
Oh for the sake of fudge

Respected User

Submissions (2)

Chuckle_Brother will become famous soon enough (53)Chuckle_Brother will become famous soon enough (53)

Send a message via ICQ to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via AIM to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via MSN to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via Yahoo to Chuckle_Brother

What kind of things would be requested from said coders? Systems/spells/random stuff?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
Aray
Concepter & Writer

Aray will become famous soon enough (44)Aray will become famous soon enough (44)

My guess is that the coders will be working with the heroes & spells mostly, while Karukef will handle most of the systems and probably a few heroes and spells once in a while as well. And no sloppy work is desired :P
Old 12-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
karukef
User

karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckle_Brother
What kind of things would be requested from said coders? Systems/spells/random stuff?

Oh yeah, I seem to have forgotten this rather important piece of information. Thanks for pointing it out :)

What Aray says holds true - Coding positions are almost exclusively 'ability' related. A coder would pick one of the many spells to be implemented for the current hero/item-lineup and go ahead and write it.

Of course, being a coder isn't just about coding - it goes without saying that anyone that contributes to the project will quickly become an important part the design process as well if this is desired.

Personally I am working almost exclusively on the underlying systems - the custom shop, the projectile system, the custom buff system, custom attack system, universal unit stat system - the list just goes on and on. I wouldn't ask someone coming in to the project at this point to contribute to the systems programming, although if someone is competent enough to help out here as well I wouldn't exactly reject it :)
Old 12-09-2006, 12:09 AM   #5
Aray
Concepter & Writer

Aray will become famous soon enough (44)Aray will become famous soon enough (44)

Thumbs up Competent JASSers have been found! Thanks for applying

Note: We have gathered at least 3 JASSers now to help vod progress more quickly. This doesn't mean that more JASSers aren't appreciated of course, but there will probably not be any need for you untill later on. It would surely get very messy for Karukef if he were to instantly assign tasks to 10 new JASSers

So don't be shy. If you are a very competent JASSer then there will surely be a need for you in the later days of "VoD2".
Old 12-09-2006, 12:16 AM   #6
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
. . .

Submissions (21)

WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)

This isn't really on topic, as I have no idea how to work JASS, but where could i find the first VoD? Because it sounds like fun.
[21-10-16] Ash: WILLTHEALMIGHTY, IT IS NOT SAFE OUT THERE, TAKE THIS!
[21-10-16] Ash gives WILL a kitten.
WILL THE ALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:43 AM   #7
Chuckle_Brother
Oh for the sake of fudge

Respected User

Submissions (2)

Chuckle_Brother will become famous soon enough (53)Chuckle_Brother will become famous soon enough (53)

Send a message via ICQ to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via AIM to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via MSN to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via Yahoo to Chuckle_Brother

Damn Karukef you took all the fun(systems are about the only thing I enjoy coding).

Dunno if I'm good enough, but I'm willing to learn and can code most any ability you throw at me, so long as you don't mind that I help Fulla with DoD on the side.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:42 AM   #8
Jazradel
Superuser

Submissions (1)

Jazradel has a spectacular aura about (110)Jazradel has a spectacular aura about (110)Jazradel has a spectacular aura about (110)Jazradel has a spectacular aura about (110)

Send a message via AIM to Jazradel Send a message via MSN to Jazradel

I'm interested.

Systems also happen to be my favorite thing to code.

Table:
Jump Map
Point System
Warcraft III Model Archive

W3 Model Archive should be available from https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cd5..._III_Resources, PM me if it doesn't work.
Jazradel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
Aray
Concepter & Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL THE ALMIGHTY
This isn't really on topic, as I have no idea how to work JASS, but where could i find the first VoD? Because it sounds like fun.
- Making a long story short: The map is too old now and cannot be played on the newer versions of Wc3. I would've loved to check out the old one as well, but let's focus on what we have ahead of us instead.

Re: Chuckle_Brother & Jazradel:
As long as you are dedicated enough and think you have the required JASS knowledge to handle all/some of these systems then there shouldn't be much more stopping you. So let's see what Karukef has to say :)
Old 12-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #10
UnMi
User

Submissions (1)

UnMi is on a distinguished road (18)

Well, I JASS for fun, and knowing karukef's abilities, his map won't be just a side-kick, so I would be in, although I might lack time now as I have to play Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess >>;.
UnMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:21 PM   #11
karukef
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazradel
I'm interested.

Systems also happen to be my favorite thing to code.

I was thinking about this during work today, and I came to the conclusion that there probably IS going to be quite a bit of systems code to make after all. So a good systems coder will be just as welcome as a spell coder :)

So far the response has been above my expectations (much due to Aray's help). I already been in touch with several coders already that I am quite interested in having on the team and that also seems motivated to join.

Since I already accepted 3 people, I want to chill down and catch my breath for a few days.

For those who are interested (including those that stated an interest in this thread but did not PM me), I suggest you read through this forum (especially the Intro to new coders post) - It will give you a very good feel for how it will be to work on VoD2, and if you want to be a part of the team, just PM me and I will get back to you during a possible 2nd recruiting bout at the end of next week!

Last edited by karukef : 12-09-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:15 AM   #12
sheep.spirit
User

Submissions (1)

sheep.spirit is on a distinguished road (21)

count me in man, i could still help on some stuffs, but getting rusty lately from too much of WoW

I am hoping that i can be more well know somehow, somewhere and some...WHAT?

PS: i am in no way affiliated to sheep.slayer lol

Random Fact of the day: if you look into the submitted resources, you will find mine under the least views, sigh, no one cares about other map makers other than blade, vex, dae and some other random guys... SAD
sheep.spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:47 AM   #13
Aray
Concepter & Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep.spirit
count me in man, i could still help on some stuffs, but getting rusty lately from too much of WoW
- I think the recruiting is done for now, but there will probably be a need for more JASSers soon. Look up and you'll see a link to the VoD2 development forum. Read through everything you see here and test yourself to find out if you still have the required JASS knowledge to work with these systems.

Thanks for showing interest.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #14
Meanie
User

Meanie is on a distinguished road (13)

The systems aren't THAT hard to understand so don't be freightened about Arays latest post . Actually the systems exist to make it easier for coders to code but still you need to be very good at JASS.

Also didn't we need SFX artists, atleast it would be cool if someone could do some VoD2 effects.

Last edited by Meanie : 12-11-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #15
karukef
User

Yeah, but I think we can wait with SFX artists until we at least have a beta. These visual guys probably want something to look at y'know ;)