wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map / Campaign Projects
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 09:41 PM   #76
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

Quote:
But let me give it to you straight: DotA is the map that most players enjoy to play. Because there can only be one market leader and DotA:AS already has this position, new maps will not become popular.

Most means majority, which just isn't true, at least on Northrend.

'there can only be one market leader' - what crap is that? There used to be many popular maps, but they just all stopped development as WC3 died.

And don't complain about people talking about DotA in your threads when you constantly fan the flames.
Quote:
[13:32] <Akolyt0r> hmm.. stil i want to have some unused women
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 11-29-2006, 07:55 AM   #77
Toink
User

Submissions (3)

Toink is on a distinguished road (17)

Send a message via Yahoo to Toink

I think DotA will never die(!!!). I tell my friends that DotA sucks, but when they play with ToB, they even said it sucks more than DotA. People nowadays tend to "like" items like that of DotA's. They don't seem to like ToB's items, because there were "few". DotA has reached the point where it stands out among all maps, putting down everything else even though they're better than it. DotA has done many things, it has helped blizzard by attracting people and reviving WC3, thereby making some people buy original copies of WC3. It also got me into mapping, I wanted to make something better, that's where I learned to map. Speaking of us "only talking about will VoD2 be better than DotA?", VoD2's nifty features and fancy combat systems will definitely assure you a good map.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #78
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

Quote:
VoD2's nifty features and fancy combat systems will definitely assure you a good map.

Core gameplay and style in the end makes or breaks a map, not fancy stuff.
Quote:
[13:32] <Akolyt0r> hmm.. stil i want to have some unused women
Old 11-29-2006, 06:07 PM   #79
artforge
User

Submissions (3)

artforge will become famous soon enough (30)artforge will become famous soon enough (30)

Send a message via MSN to artforge

Quote:
I tell my friends that DotA sucks, but when they play with ToB, they even said it sucks more than DotA.
Same here mate =/

well, If I understood you well, you're planning on using another rules on skill balancing, that stone stuff and all... well, I don't actually think the skill system present in wc3 is bad, it gives you a very good quantity of options of buildings and such, almost nothing could possibly be changed there, so in my opinion, you're wasting your time on that new skill system.
this is an exception anyway, cause everything else got my attention and I must say i'm very excited with this map
Old 12-05-2006, 06:01 PM   #80
D-Fox
User

D-Fox has little to show at this moment (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki
Heres the deal.

Most bnet nerds will
- not play this map cause of the gold system.
- not play it because the stats system, they will be like... omg no items that give +strength, wtf is this? Or they wont like a system where it doesnt benefit two sides, where as strength adds health, health regen, damage, etc.
- if its spells that deal more then lets say 2/3 effects most will find themselves too lazy to use it correctly

All i see here that will catch a bnet nerds attention is the item system, and even then it could be boring / annoying / imba. But id test it anyways.

guy, the point isnt that the map will become a massive hit like the crappy map like dota, the point to introduce something better and inovate the bloody battle system instead of the normal beat 'em up game
Old 12-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #81
Tiki
Transform and roll out!

Respected User

Submissions (11)

Tiki is a jewel in the rough (244)Tiki is a jewel in the rough (244)Tiki is a jewel in the rough (244)Tiki is a jewel in the rough (244)Tiki is a jewel in the rough (244)

AI tournament - 3rd place

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fox
guy, the point isnt that the map will become a massive hit like the crappy map like dota, the point to introduce something better and inovate the bloody battle system instead of the normal beat 'em up game

And tell me whos going to play? with warcraft 3 dead and battle.net full of dota players.

www.sc2armory.com - Join our forums and community.
Latest and most up to date information about starcraft II.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #82
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
. . .

Submissions (21)

WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)

wc3 is dead?
[21-10-16] Ash: WILLTHEALMIGHTY, IT IS NOT SAFE OUT THERE, TAKE THIS!
[21-10-16] Ash gives WILL a kitten.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #83
Tiki
Transform and roll out!

Respected User

Submissions (11)

Tiki is a jewel in the rough (244)Tiki is a jewel in the rough (244)Tiki is a jewel in the rough (244)Tiki is a jewel in the rough (244)Tiki is a jewel in the rough (244)

Compared to two years ago, yes.
You werent here two years ago, this community was 4x this size.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #84
Kam
User

Kam will become famous soon enough (33)Kam will become famous soon enough (33)

I'll have to agree with Tiki on that point, DotA is the only reason ppl even play Wc3 anymore, with exception to Korea because it's a sport there.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #85
Aray
Concepter & Writer

Aray will become famous soon enough (44)Aray will become famous soon enough (44)

Please leave this thread if all you people want to talk about is the "death of Wc3", the "domination of DotA:AS" jadajadajada... You are completely off topic and last time I checked, that is against the rules.

Especially you Tiki. With D-Fox' post this thread had a shot at getting back on topic again, but you just had to flip it, switching the discussion back to "this map will fail because DotA is too big already"...

It seems like Karukef has been kinda absent from this thread these last couple of days, so maybe it would help if I told him to take a look at the latest posts if he hasn't looked into it lately. If the discussion keeps leaping off into these wrong directions, there's no point in having it here.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:54 AM   #86
karukef
User

karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)

I'm absent from the thread because absolutely no interesting discussion going on anymore.

But that is ok, because we got all the useful feedback we needed before the thread degenerated into nonsense :)
Old 12-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Captain Griffen
This message has been deleted by Vexorian. Reason: garbage
Old 12-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #87
Tiki
Transform and roll out!

Respected User

Submissions (11)

Just to clarify, I stated nothing about dota in my recent posts. But good luck.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #88
Kam
User

Kam will become famous soon enough (33)Kam will become famous soon enough (33)

I think we can all agree that this has potential, and at the very least it is something new. Last time I checked, this site is here to encourage people and help them to better their projects. So shut the hell up with all the negative comments for no reason. Back to topic.

This map has a great start, and the systems you have layed out sound wonderful. I have to agree though that you are trying to change too much, and you might end up overwhelming the end user.

Last edited by Kam : 12-06-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:44 PM
karukef
Old 12-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Captain Griffen
Old 12-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #89
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

hmnn,

I was thinking of closing this after I saw Karukef's post that he will ignore this thread or be abscent of the discussion.

I eventually decided not to do it. But well, I was so wrong, the next posts didn't help and there were flames.

Let me put it straight:
- I read First and third post and would say that the "this will be a discussion about DOTA" path was set completelly well by Karukef and Aray themselves. So people please listen, in the future if you don't want a topic to infect your thread about bringing the topic to your thread yourself.

- I did not like the posts concerning wc3 dying, sure wc3 is death but come on! that's for off topic. You guys better avoid talking about that outside the off topic forum.

- Also there is a possibility that Griffen closed this thread for the wrong reason either way I consider that it would have be good to close after Karukef's post about being abscent of the thread. So Let me keep it closed and remove the garbage that happened after it.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Closed Thread