wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map / Campaign Projects
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 08:25 AM   #61
Kam
User

Kam will become famous soon enough (33)Kam will become famous soon enough (33)

Stop comparing it to DotA. This is something new and different, and it sounds dam good to me.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:07 AM   #62
Toink
User

Submissions (3)

Toink is on a distinguished road (17)

Send a message via Yahoo to Toink

Maps like these are infact, very good. But they only create a small community, which is 10x smaller than DotA's.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #63
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toink
Maps like these are infact, very good. But they only create a small community, which is 10x smaller than DotA's.
That's how things should be. A community 10 times smaller than DotA is still a damn big community. A community of this size would pretty much assure that there would always be at least one game on bnet open with the map, and that's all a map needs, anything more is just "excessive popularity" that some people hate DotA:A for.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:22 PM   #64
Aray
Concepter & Writer

Aray will become famous soon enough (44)Aray will become famous soon enough (44)

Quote:
Let me rephrase that for you. "OMG all of the items are weak, DotA's items are way better and cooler this sucks!"
- Try not to talk about things you don't know anything about. As far as I can tell, strength of items aren't mentioned once in this post. I don't know how exactly the items will work either, so I don't talk about it. I just trust that Karukef know what he's doing.

Quote:
Don't try to aim more than 25 heroes, it will only make the map size bigger. 15 heroes are almost just the same as 70 heroes. I highly doubt anyone would use all of DotA's 70+ heroes.
- Having 70 heroes could hardly be a bad thing if you had put an equal amount of time and work into every single one on them. But we all know that's not the case in DotA. You have some of the newer heroes with some decent JASS spells and interesting uses, but then you also have heroes like, say, King Leoric. DD, lifeleech, hammer and reincarnation. Hohoho, just some random picks from the available Wc3 spells. By looking at Karukef's presentation and by looking at the forum, you should understand that this will not be the kind of AoS where you see a hero and think "did they just use a machine to put that thing together?" get it?

If you want to have a look at the coming 10 heroes, take a look here (herolist and links) and here (systems needed for heroes).
Old 11-25-2006, 12:43 PM   #65
Meanie
User

Meanie is on a distinguished road (13)

Quote:
- Try not to talk about things you don't know anything about. As far as I can tell, strength of items aren't mentioned once in this post. I don't know how exactly the items will work either, so I don't talk about it. I just trust that Karukef know what he's doing.

Actually i have no idea either how much impact items should have on a hero, we just had some dummy items for testing and such.

Having 70 heroes is never bad but it is way to hard to balance, i must say that Dota made a good job balancing them as much as he did. But we rather go for fewer but more balanced heroes. I would guess that there will be around 25-35 heroes in the final updates.

I just polished a spell i did a few weeks back, it looks uber cool i hope Karukef or Mosef could include that spell in the "movie" they are planing to make
Old 11-25-2006, 05:34 PM   #66
st33m
User

Submissions (1)

st33m is on a distinguished road (22)

Send a message via MSN to st33m

Having 70 heroes IS bad, more work than its worth, and odds are you wont have them all be original. But if you want to go for it, go for it. I doubt all of them will be played.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:54 PM   #67
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
. . .

Submissions (21)

WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)

I think they AREN'T going for 70 heroes. and the new dota version has 80 heroes actuually, but probably only 20 of them are fun to play... or balanced/original.

so, how far is teh project yet?
[21-10-16] Ash: WILLTHEALMIGHTY, IT IS NOT SAFE OUT THERE, TAKE THIS!
[21-10-16] Ash gives WILL a kitten.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #68
Taur
#8 in posting (nolifeftw)

Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)

Quote:
most map makers can only dream of a community 50x smaller than that of Dota's
Old 11-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #69
Meanie
User

Meanie is on a distinguished road (13)

We will certainly not aim for 70 heroes!

Quote:
so, how far is teh project yet?

Coding: Well we recently redid everything, removing every trigger only keeping the core systems. We are still doing stuff that takes more time, etc core systems and spells. But when the time is right we can write all of the gameplay systems in few days.

Terrain/Visual: Here we are almost done, only mising some fine tuning on the terrain and such(I have actually no idea, im not responsible for this part)

Objects: All of the heroes we plan to make are done and there are no real items yet.(That torrent axe is only something he did to show the shop)

Estiminated arival date is still unkown so don't even ask about it, it will be done when it is done. But if you want more regular updates on progress check in at our forum.

Last edited by Meanie : 11-25-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:53 AM   #70
Relyte
User

Relyte has little to show at this moment (0)

This sounds amazing! Was Vod1 just as... Y'know... good sounding?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:02 AM   #71
Toink
User

Submissions (3)

Toink is on a distinguished road (17)

Send a message via Yahoo to Toink

Quote:
i must say that Dota made a good job balancing them as much as he did.

*Cough* Critical Strike, Vamp Aura, Reinc, Storm Bolt on one hero IS balanced? If you take a look on the computer shop's sign where I play, you'll see a Rogueknight with 123+ base damage + 738 bonus damage. SOME heroes are balanced, the items are not. VoD2 better than DotA, but will never be more popular than DotA. But if you put more work into it, it might be the next ToB?
Old 11-26-2006, 07:51 AM   #72
nooK
n1nja

nooK will become famous soon enough (30)nooK will become famous soon enough (30)

IMO, it surely won´t be new ToB, it´s aiming in a different direction.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:07 AM   #73
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

All this talk about DotA is relevent to VoD2, isn't it?

[/rhetorical question]
Quote:
[13:32] <Akolyt0r> hmm.. stil i want to have some unused women
Old 11-28-2006, 09:21 PM   #74
karukef
User

karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)karukef has a spectacular aura about (97)

Can VoD2 become as popular as DotA seems to be the only topic of discussion that still hasn't died out entirely.

Some people just are entirely unable to understand this discussion at all, and treat the DotA as if it is some force of unrighteousness that was spawned by the devil for the sole purpose of being "the most popular map that also sucks LOL".

But let me give it to you straight: DotA is the map that most players enjoy to play. Because there can only be one market leader and DotA:AS already has this position, new maps will not become popular.

To put it simply, a "better" map simply isn't enough. It has to be a lot better. And even then, it's going to be a tough job.

Trust me. I used to sell people sattelite dishes over the phone. I know some dirty tricks of the trade, and believe me, I have one especially devious trick that will not only improve VoD2's chances of popularity drastically, but also please anyone that hate DotA:AS greatly. (I will absolutely not answer what it is though)

I wouldn't spend so much time on this map if I didn't strongly believe this map will actually become more popular than DotA.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:32 PM   #75
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
. . .

Submissions (21)

WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)

I can imagine everyone spamming it on Bnet... would that work?
[21-10-16] Ash: WILLTHEALMIGHTY, IT IS NOT SAFE OUT THERE, TAKE THIS!
[21-10-16] Ash gives WILL a kitten.
Closed Thread