wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 09-04-2009, 01:17 AM   #286
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)

Send a message via MSN to Ignitedstar Send a message via Yahoo to Ignitedstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicat
Sounds like fun. Are you playing White or Black? :P
Oh, it didn't occur to me. I don't know. You pick. X_X
I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

1 Corinthians 13:1-2

Current Works:
None.
Ignitedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #287
67chrome
I never say Ni

Submissions (4)

67chrome has a spectacular aura about (78)67chrome has a spectacular aura about (78)67chrome has a spectacular aura about (78)

Race-Building Contest #2 Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
Yeah, you guys have the right of it. If it serves the same exact role, but does so with improved proficiency, then it counts as 1 building. If it serves a new role entirely, then it counts as multiple buildings.

The way I see it, the scout tower upgrading to other towers is OK and counts as a single racial structure. The scout tower's only role is that of scouting, but all of the upgrades also scout while dealing damage each in their own unique way. This counts as 1 structure. The Ziggurat upgrades from a high-damage attack to a low-damage, chilling attack. The role changes slightly, but both serve the same net function (food + defense). They would count as 1 structure.

Thats cool :)

Is their a limit to how many towers that count as 1 unit? I've played enough tower defense maps to know that the amount of towers one could create is essentially unlimited. Maybe 4, one base tower such as the Ziggurat/Scout Tower, and up to three upgraded variants?

Also, with the leniency on towers counting towards the building limit, I'm curious about what your take on summoned units is? Would skeleton warriors count towards the limit, would skeleton warriors and skeleton mages count as 1 unit, would units such as the wolves summoned by the feral spirit spell count as 1 unit, or do units summoned through spells not count towards the total at all, at least in the manner the units I mentioned are summoned? I'd assume wards don't count towards that total either, though I'd like to know your take on this :)
Old 09-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #288
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chrome
Is their a limit to how many towers that count as 1 unit? I've played enough tower defense maps to know that the amount of towers one could create is essentially unlimited. Maybe 4, one base tower such as the Ziggurat/Scout Tower, and up to three upgraded variants?
There isn't, but let's face it -- If you have 11 structures that all have the same essential role, people aren't going to vote for your race. I would imagine that kind of "fail" in design is prevented by virtue of it not making the race any cooler in the first place. Remember we're not making a TD race here.

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 09-04-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #289
cosmicat
Probably AFK

cosmicat will become famous soon enough (71)cosmicat will become famous soon enough (71)cosmicat will become famous soon enough (71)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
There isn't, but let's face it -- If you have 11 structures that all have the same essential role, people aren't going to vote for your race. I would imagine that kind of "fail" in design is prevented by virtue of it not making the race any cooler in the first place. Remember we're not making a TD race here.
Though that does sound like a neat idea. >_>
Old 09-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #290
Dragoon
User

Dragoon has little to show at this moment (8)

Agreed, maybe an idea for the next contest?
Waiting for Custom Race consest #3
Dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #291
cosmicat
Probably AFK

cosmicat will become famous soon enough (71)cosmicat will become famous soon enough (71)cosmicat will become famous soon enough (71)

Or this one.
Edit: Wait...no, it'd be next to impossible to come up with enough varied unit roles to justify a TD race.

Last edited by cosmicat : 09-05-2009 at 09:23 PM.
cosmicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:16 AM   #292
Alevice
It feels good

Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)

Newer versions of Kalimdor Raiders had more specialized tower/barracks. So I can get to feel good to brag about it.

Alevice.jones is SC2 Beta, losers.

Check out my never updated deviantart gallery!!

Kalimdor Raiders (Race Contest #1) Pastebin Page
Cavern Crawlers (Race Contest #2) Pastebin Page
Airship Race Motherfuckers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ajaxian.com/archives/would-you-like-a-_-with-that-new-library-gives-js-what-it-should-have#comment-276203
- Dont solve problems that dont exist.
- Improve the wheel, dont reinvent it.
- Port the wheel if it doesnt exist in your environment.
- Integrate the wheel into your project.
- Make sure you can replace your wooden wheel for a rubber one if someone else invents it.
Alevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #293
Dragoon
User

Dragoon has little to show at this moment (8)

Here is a beta version of my race, please report bugs, glitches, and imba stuff plz..
Attached Files
File Type: w3x NibelungNomads.w3x (521.0 KB, 10 views)
Waiting for Custom Race consest #3
Dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #294
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Just wanted to say, it seems I won't be finishing again, since I spent most of my dev time in the past few weeks recoding ET for 1.24 instead of this.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:52 AM   #295
ToukoAozaki
extends net.wc3c.Jasser

Submissions (5)

ToukoAozaki will become famous soon enough (60)ToukoAozaki will become famous soon enough (60)ToukoAozaki will become famous soon enough (60)

Send a message via MSN to ToukoAozaki

Could you give more specified definition of "Town Hall"? I'm thinking of totally different race...
ToukoAozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:59 AM   #296
cosmicat
Probably AFK

Definition: Let s be some structure belonging to race r such that all players using race r begin each session with one copy of s. Furthermore, any player using race r that does not own any structure identical to s will be revealed to his opponents after a set amount of time has elapsed. We say that s is a Town Hall Structure.

Conjecture: All observed instances of a Town Hall Structure are responsible for miner/builder production and serve as a drop point for gathered resources. Thus, generally, a Town Hall Structure is assumed to be the central building in any player's base, with other structures and units heavily dependent upon it.

In alternative language, the defining attribute of the Town Hall is that all players start with one, and if a player does not have one, his structures will be "revealed" to his opponents. Generally, the Town Hall is the central building - most other buildings depend on the Town Hall. The Town Hall is also usually the structure that produces workers and serves as a drop point for gathered resources. These things are actually not necessary for a Town Hall, but they're usually expected unless there's a really good reason for a different building to have that job (i.e. don't mess with the standard for gimmickiness's sake).
Old 09-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #297
Alevice
It feels good

Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)

deadline getting closer and nosubmissions yet? FUCK. Kinda wish my heart hadnt led me out of wc3

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ajaxian.com/archives/would-you-like-a-_-with-that-new-library-gives-js-what-it-should-have#comment-276203
- Make sure you can replace your wooden wheel for a rubber one if someone else invents it.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #298
cosmicat
Probably AFK

48-hour rule abuse! :) Edit: Never mind, Alevice saved me from double posting!

As is typical of 2 am "brainstorming" sessions, I came up with a really amazing idea that will never work. Regardless, I am going to attempt it.

Mandalorian Race! Pew pew! I'll mostly be drawing on experience from KotOR and info from Wookiepedia, since I'm not enough of a rabid Star Wars fan to have read any of the comic books or novels.

This race should (hopefully) focus on an aggressive playstyle, with all-or-nothing skirmishes. There is no dishonor in defeat, but retreat is unacceptable in all but the most extreme cases. Mandalorian units will be stoic, with relatively high hitpoint count and the potential to research "implants" that augment their strength, accuracy, and regenerative abilities. As a trade-off, unit costs will be high, and active defensive abilities will be practically nonexistant - with the exception of a Medic, who can administer medpacks and such with a fairly long cooldown time.

Soldiers are the primary infantry (like Footmen), and use vibroblades for melee combat.
Scouts are the secondary infantry (like Riflemen), and use blaster rifles for ranged combat.
Scoundrels are sort of like aggressive "support casters," planting mines and throwing grenades.

I will, of course, use more units than these, but those are the primary forces. The hero is, of course, Mandalore himself (whether that means Canderous Ordo or one of the Fetts or whatever). And the Uber-Thing is the Basilisk. Wheeeeeee!

Last edited by cosmicat : 09-10-2009 at 06:26 PM.
cosmicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #299
Alevice
It feels good

Kinda hoped for the Monoply race :( Sounds good enough tho.

Quote:
Old 09-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #300
cosmicat
Probably AFK

Yeah, we had some decent ideas for Monopoly, but I honestly wouldn't know where to start, and some of the concepts will be too difficult or take too long or...whatever to finish in 3-4 days (reserving the last couple of days for testing). Even if I start writing the code now. Mandalorians should be constructed like a "standard" race, with mostly object data doing the work while a little vJass here and there helps it along. I'll work on Monopoly when I feel like it, though. :P