wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Texture Resources > Tilesets / Terrain
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 02-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
67chrome
I never say Ni

Submissions (4)

67chrome has a spectacular aura about (78)67chrome has a spectacular aura about (78)67chrome has a spectacular aura about (78)

Race-Building Contest #2 Winner

Default Epic RPG Tileset

Zoom (requires log in)

EpicRPGTileset_by67chrome.blp

Figured I should submit at least one of my skins here, and I think this is perhaps my most useful :)

Screenshots:

Hidden information:
Zoom (requires log in)
Zoom (requires log in)
Zoom (requires log in)
Zoom (requires log in)
Zoom (requires log in)
Zoom (requires log in)
Zoom (requires log in)
Zoom (requires log in)

How to use this skin:

After importing the skin re-write its path to: TerrainArt\Icecrown\Ice_RuneBricks.blp or TerrainArt\Ruins\Ruins_LargeBricks.blp

I note these two tilesets because cliffs create their corresponding tile when placed, and the only two man-made cliffs with a size 2 tile are in sunken ruins and icecrown glacier. Note: with the modify tileset feature, your favorite tiles can still be used in the same map with this tile. Also, the cliff skin shown in the screenshots is not part of this skin.

All tilesets have a size in the world editor, which can be viewed in Advanced->Modify Tileset. The tile size is displayed as a 1 or 2, representing the size of the skins that make up the tiles. A size 1 tile has a 256x256 skin, which largely consists of the boarder art applied when the tile is overlapping another tile. These tiles only have 2 tile variations. A size 2 tile is 512x256, and has 18 tile variations. This skin can be used to replace any size 2 tile besides just the two mentioned above.

In the Modify Tileset window the order of the tiles is important and can be changed as well. As this skin is meant to be used for its tile variation it is recommended that it be shifted as far left as possible, so that it appears below all the other tiles when used (this way it has no need for borders, and any tile variant may be used with another piece of terrain.) If one tile is above another tile the tile on top will use it's boarder art and the tile below will not. Tiles further right are higher, tiles further left are lower. The boarders of this tile are solid black, and not recommended for most cases, so shift this tile as far left as possible for the best results ;)

In the tile skin itself the further left a tile is on the tile skin, the rarer its appearance is. Some tiles have an appearance rate of smaller than 1%, so I would recommend creating a little tile palette so that you can copy and paste each tile. When this tile is overlapped by another tile with only two variations it can be frustrating to try to get the right variation, so this is were creating a little pallet can be useful ;)
If you access the terrain palette in the world editor, and then access the selection tool, you can select terrain and use copy and paste on it. This allows you to find one of each tile and copy and paste it to a separate location, which I refer to as your tile palette. From this you can copy and paste any of the 18 tiles you choose without prejudice :D

For the most part you can just un-check the "place random variation" box above the preivew screen of the tileset on the left of the world editor though, and whatever variation is showing in the little box (which you can change with the arrow keys above it) will be the variation you place down, which is very useful for covering large areas.

Hidden information:
Zoom (requires log in)
Zoom (requires log in)

Note: using copy and paste not only saves the tile variation, it also remembers cliff height, and elevation. It is best to place down all the tiles before changing height. Tiles placed on a lower or higher cliff level will still be remembered even if it changes the cliff level. Just raise or lower it to its intended level and the desired tile should show up.

Hidden information:
Zoom (requires log in)
Zoom (requires log in)
Zoom (requires log in)
Zoom (requires log in)

If this tileset is below all others it can also be incorporated with others to create cool effects. However, when using two tiles you will need to copy and paste two tiles, as one of the overlapping tiles will hold the tile information. When planning on combining tiles it is always a good idea to make these tiles more common (ie appear further right on the skin).

Hidden information:
Zoom (requires log in)
Zoom (requires log in)

While a 75% freehand rule for skin submissions at the Hive Workshop spurred me to make this skin entirely freehand, it does not prevent you from copying and pasting your favorite tiles in this skin to use in your map. You have permission to replace any of the tiles on this skin or shift their position. You can copy and paste whatever you want for those tiles as well, and it's not like it is hard to either create 1 variation you need or place it on a tile in this skin you don't. If you use at least one of the tiles you must give credit to me, 67chrome, as I drew each one freehand (Well, except the solid black one, don't think I can really lay claim to that :D). If you want a custom tileset like this one but do not have the right programs to make it, get a friend to do it for you. If you donít have any friends that can, get better friends. Same goes for creating custom skin for a cliff (cliff skin shown above not included). Creating a CnP cliff/tileset like this shouldn't even take an hour to do, so go for it. I won't make any variations of this for you though, so don't ask me.

This is were the tile variations are; 1 and 2 are the most common, and 15, 16, 17 and 18 are by far the rarest.

If you have any questions regarding creating your own tileset check out the tutorials here or at the Hive Workshop.

And finally, hereís my concept ;)

Hidden information:
Zoom (requires log in)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PreviewTileset.jpg (131.7 KB, 2464 views)
File Type: jpg Example_01.jpg (470.1 KB, 1715 views)
File Type: jpg Example_02.jpg (428.4 KB, 1393 views)
File Type: jpg Example_03.jpg (434.6 KB, 1336 views)
File Type: jpg Example_04.jpg (363.0 KB, 1310 views)
File Type: jpg Example_05.jpg (375.8 KB, 1344 views)
File Type: jpg Example_Bound.jpg (104.2 KB, 1354 views)
File Type: jpg Example_OtherTiles.jpg (198.9 KB, 1015 views)
File Type: jpg Height_01.jpg (347.5 KB, 1369 views)
File Type: jpg Height_02.jpg (391.8 KB, 1382 views)
File Type: jpg RandomTiles.jpg (166.7 KB, 1167 views)
File Type: jpg Utility_01.jpg (91.5 KB, 879 views)
File Type: jpg Utility_02.jpg (88.4 KB, 864 views)
File Type: jpg Utility_03.jpg (169.0 KB, 819 views)
File Type: jpg Utility_04.jpg (502.5 KB, 831 views)
File Type: jpg Utility_05.jpg (345.0 KB, 959 views)
File Type: jpg WC3ScrnShot_070209_130415_17 copy.jpg (75.8 KB, 1032 views)
File Type: jpg Lords_BricksHeroRealmcopy.jpg (31.9 KB, 1066 views)
Old 02-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Project Leader: LoC

Submissions (27)

Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)

Interesting :)
Perhaps attach a DEMO map with the texture in use?

On a slightly note, did you also make the stained window glass texture?
Shown in this shot: http://www.wc3c.net/attachment.php?a...6&d=1266177795

+Rep!
Archian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:44 AM   #3
67chrome
I never say Ni

Submissions (4)

67chrome has a spectacular aura about (78)67chrome has a spectacular aura about (78)67chrome has a spectacular aura about (78)

Yes, i did make that stained glass window. The wall next to it was CnP from the elven buildings, and the rest of the wall was taken from Castlevania SotN screenshots. Mostly I made this tile/tileset so that others could do the same, and if nothing else add to the variation of tiles in their maps were there should be more tiles. For that reason I have also never been motivated enough to create a freehand cliff skin, CnP works fine for me with things like that.

I'm not sure if I could really clarify anything that is already in the description with a demo map, mostly you'll find out about it from reading or mucking around in the world editor, but thanks for the suggestion :)

Last edited by 67chrome : 02-15-2010 at 02:44 AM.
67chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Mc !
Master Creator !

Acting art director
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (101)

Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd PlaceModeling session 2 - Chimeras

Send a message via MSN to Mc !

It's still really useful to have a map, also as a form of container like a zip... You should do that...

BTW... You really should add to the description which parts exactly are taken from other stuff (CnP) and which parts are freehanded...

Awesomeness = #Rep / #Posts
Mc ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
AnemicRoyalty

Texturing Moderator
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (23)

AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)

Skinning Contest #14 WinnerSkinning Contest #15 WinnerHero Contest #2 - 1st Place

This looks quite handy, really.

My concerns are that in large areas, the tiles can become repetitive and the transition between different tiles seems a bit harsh and sudden. The tiles also seem to have little in common in terms of colour scheme and as such don't have the same cohesion that, say, the Ashenvale tilesets have.

Still, it brings a lot of variety to the available tilesets without having to import a ton of textures. Looks cool, reminds me of old sprite-based RPGs :)

~Approved

And yeah, demo map would be sweet.
  • DIII: TFA Textures
  • Finish and release a bunch of stuff
AnemicRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
67chrome
I never say Ni

Submissions (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc !
BTW... You really should add to the description which parts exactly are taken from other stuff (CnP) and which parts are freehanded...

Oh, the entire thing is freehand. The cliffs that are not what I submitted but appear in the screenshots are almost entirely CnP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicRoyalty
My concerns are that in large areas, the tiles can become repetitive and the transition between different tiles seems a bit harsh and sudden. The tiles also seem to have little in common in terms of colour scheme and as such don't have the same cohesion that, say, the Ashenvale tilesets have.

The main purpose of this tileset was to get all the man-made textures one would need in a map in one tileset, so a larger variation of building interiors and such could be created (that's primarily what I use it for anyways;). the only man-made tiles I can think of that have more than 2 variations are the large bricks from sunken ruins and the large bricks from Icecrown glacier, so essentially any man-made tile used in excess will look repetitive as well. And ya, placing this tile down with the "place random" tile checked looks horrible, only one or two should really be used in the same area. If the transition between the same tile looks noticeable it is mostly because of how wc3 blurs the textures, I spent a long time making sure each one is a tileable texture to :)

Thanks for approving this, I'll see what I can do about a demo map ;)
Old 02-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Balnnazar
User

Balnnazar is on a distinguished road (11)

Send a message via MSN to Balnnazar

A great idea, its very useful.
+rep
Balnnazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
DanThanh
User

Submissions (1)

DanThanh has little to show at this moment (7)

Send a message via Yahoo to DanThanh

Please submit a demo map, it does not consume a lot of time !
Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
Fjodor_Murmel
User

Fjodor_Murmel has little to show at this moment (0)

When I've imported this tile to my map and set the path to TerrainArt\Ruins\Ruins_LargeBricks.blp it wont work. When I've restarted WE and reloaded my map it sais "Could not load texture" and the LargeBricks tileset is gone. What to do?
I can't even open the texture in War3 Model Editor. It sais the file is not a blp texture.

Last edited by Fjodor_Murmel : 07-26-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Fjodor_Murmel is offline   Reply With Quote