wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Cinematics
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 10:24 PM   #16
LrdSlothPaladin
User

LrdSlothPaladin has little to show at this moment (0)

Here it is! The completely unanticipated Hitchhikers Guild to Special FX (With Don't Panic –in big friendly letters) what I have done over the past few days is compile a map with almost every special FX MDX file in Warcraft III, to use it open the map in UMS World Editor look for a model you want, click on it and find its name and icon. If its icon is a Peasant, Wisp, or Peon it is a custom unit and you can find it in the “edit units� window under custom units in there respective race. However after making these, I discovered that you could only make 100 custom units, weird, so then all the others can be found under whatever there icon should be it. If you still don't understand why this is a useful map to download I will tell you now, WITH THIS MAP YOU DON'T HAVE TO LOOK THOUGH ALL THE SPECAL FX THE HARD WAY! - LSP

Quote:
Originally posted by Insaniteus
SPECIAL EFFECTS:

Ok, for starters, I HONESTLY want everyone who is really determined to make good cinematics to at least LOOK at every single Model in WarCraft. There are alot of great models with infinite possibilities, as I proved in the DBZ scene of IC.
-Insaniteus-
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 04-19-2003, 09:49 PM   #17
LrdSlothPaladin
User

HOW TO MAKE A UNIT SLIDE (LIKE IN IC)

This goes out to FatUglyNakedGuy and anyone else who wants to know.

Step 1: Make a unit (or variable) that you want to slide across the map.

Step 2: Make a region, about the size of a medium box on the grid in the direction you want the unit to slide

Step 3: Make a trigger that will activate the unit slide trigger. (for example on a test map you might make a trigger that will activate when you type slide)

Step 4: Make the unit slide trigger. (Initially Off)

Step 5: Make the unit slide triggers a Time Event every .05-.08 sec of Game Time

Step 6: Make the first action of the slide trigger, move unit instantly to center of region (whatever region you made).

Step 7: Make the second action Region Move on Blue Text Point with offset, Position of Unit, (whatever unit you choose) hit ok and then choose the offset, I'll make it move along the X axes (X and Y axes are in blue text) by 60

Step 8: Make the trigger that will start the slide have the action Trigger, Turn on Slide

Step 9: Make a trigger to disable your slide trigger, for example: Unit enters region action Trigger Turn off Slide

Step 10: (this is a step so I can merely say all my tutorials are in ten simple steps) Test your map!

Here is an attachment that I made while writing this Tutorial:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit by Insaniteus: I personally do this without a region, since it's redundant.

Step 1: Pick your sliding unit, and the degree angle you want him to fly at (Facing of (absolute value(unit - 180)) will give you the opposite of the way he's facing aka backwards. If you do this, SAVE THE ANGLE TO A VARIABLE, since the unit will turn at random if you constantly refer to his facing angle.

Step 2: Make an initially off periodic trigger every 0.05 seconds.

Step 3: Action - Unit - Move unit to position of unit offset by ___ towards (angle) degrees. I personally find that 10x the time interval works best, but obviously distance of the camera is a factor. Adjust as you see fit.

Step 4: Add "Turn on (above trigger) and turn off where appropriate in your cinematic.

-Insaniteus-
Old 04-21-2003, 05:44 AM   #18
Insaniteus
User

Respected User

Insaniteus is on a distinguished road (11)

I don't even want to mention how many times I've been hammered with people asking me "How did you do ___ in IC?" so I'm gonna post this here in big letters:

THE MAP IS UNPROTECTED! OPEN IT UP IN WE AND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE HOW I DID EVERYTHING THAT I DID, INCLUDING THE FAMOUS SLIDE BACK, PSIONIC STORM, SPIRIT BOMB, SNIPER SCOPE, AND SSJ3.

I guess people don't even CHECK anymore to see if a map is unprotected. I left it unprotected so that it could serve as a tutorial for other people, but I still get asked tons of questions about it.

-Insaniteus-
Old 04-21-2003, 05:49 AM   #19
DaemonKillar
User

Respected User

Submissions (1)

DaemonKillar has a spectacular aura about (77)DaemonKillar has a spectacular aura about (77)DaemonKillar has a spectacular aura about (77)

Same goes for COTN btw!
Old 04-21-2003, 01:02 PM   #20
FatUglyNakedGuy
User

FatUglyNakedGuy is on a distinguished road (21)

Umm.. Insan. I first checked your cinematic to see how you did it.. but I had no frickin idea on how it worked... you had variables and all that junk that i dont understand.. so i posted to see if someone could explain it better....

Im not dumb.. i looked first...der der...emote_sweat

----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit by Insaniteus: Ok ok, but I have had tons of people respond to that comment of mine with "It is?? I never checked!" and I've kinda gotten annoyed over the months by that.

Also, the Variables are all labeled quite nicely, you should by able to find out what means what. Variables are the secret to getting things done in War3 modding, so ALWAYS use them.

PS: Stop replying if you aren't adding tutorial information. I chose to keep this one around to rebut and all, but still.

-Insaniteus-
Old 04-21-2003, 10:08 PM   #21
Mr.Jig

sumthings i have learned..
1)-Music adds a lot to a scene

2)-ur first cinematic will probaly suck... like mine just play with things

3)-U can always use more cameras

4)-If u cant figuire out how sumthing is done ask...

5)Lots and Lots of Doodads

6)-Angles are everything

7)- Set a sky

8) Give each scene a mood

9)- Special effects are always good when used appropriatly

10) Spell check ( i ma being hippocit now..)
-If i suck at spelling like me get sum1 eles to get it

11) Make units face the correct way.. it can ruin ur whole scene

12) Give credit were credit is do...

13)-Be creative....

14)-Fade filters help your cinematic...

15)-Watch sum good cinematics like Insan. Cinematic - Creatures of the night - and maby mine, The Master, mine isnt as good as thsoe but i use camreas well in it...

16)-Take constructive critizism well...

That is all for now...

Old 04-22-2003, 10:08 PM   #22
LrdSlothPaladin
User

Everyone who plans to become a great cinematic maker should be willing to open up great cinematics and see how they tick, and remember there are other great cinematics other then Insaniteus and DK, manly these where made by Blizzard :) So if you ever want to do a SFX that you have seen in IC or CoTN or in the Warcraft campaigns all you need do is look, if you don't know how to look at the campaign cins you need to get winMPQ and open up the war.mpq then in the box that you can type that has an “*� in it type “*.w3m� this will hide all but the map files to make it easer then just open the one you saw the effect in and find out how they did it. One more thing, if you plan to make good cinimatics you need to learn how to use variables, if you don't know how I'm sure there's some good tutorials on this site, this is how I made both of my tutorials, the first was used off mission one of the Human Campaign and the latter off of IC
Old 05-05-2003, 05:50 AM   #23
Insaniteus
User

Respected User

IMPORTANT DIALOUGE TIP

Adding or setting the dialouge duration does squat, since after 5 seconds it automatically goes to the next action, and if that action is more dialouge it goes away.

THE FIX: In all of your dialouges, set it to "Don't wait" and then under each one, make a new action "Wait ___ seconds. This will prevent the dialouge from being overwritten.

-Insaniteus-
Old 05-12-2003, 08:58 AM   #24
divinesage
User

divinesage has little to show at this moment (0)

Fade Filter will not filter out cinematic Doodads
Old 05-13-2003, 10:40 PM   #25
Nuladion
User

Nuladion is on a distinguished road (10)

I'm making a series of cinematic tutorials which come with a practice map (to follow the tutorial) and the completed map (to show what you get when you've followed the tutorial correctly)!

The first tutorial has already been finished and is located here:
http://members.lycos.nl/guidokessels....php?p=424#424

This is a tutorial covering the Basics of cinematic making! I'll write some advanced tutorials soon, if I get positive feedback on this one!

I hope it'll help some of you!
If not, I'm sure my upcoming tutorials will 8)

~ Nuladion
Old 05-24-2003, 04:48 PM   #26
Mech-Sheep
User

Mech-Sheep is on a distinguished road (20)

Music Tip:

When you create a Cinematic, you should always save space. That's why you should choose ONE main music that you use throughout different scenes.

Okay, so you don't think the music fits in all the scenes, but IT CAN! There is something called "Pitch", where you can adjust from:

a) The trigger "Sound - Set sound pictch"

b) From Sound Editor, double-click on your music to reveal the Pitch control column.

The pitch is the most underused option that can make a huge difference. The lower the number, the slower and more bass it gets. The higher the number, the faster and more treble it gets. So, if you want to use your main music for different scenes, try adjusting the pitch! It can sometimes sound even better than the original!
Old 06-07-2003, 07:14 AM   #27
Insaniteus
User

Respected User

This isn't really the place for asking questions, but I'll answer it anyway since nobody's posted any real tips lately.

Taking the music out of the TRIGGERS doesn't help squat, you have to delete the MP3. If doing even that doesn't help things, then I'm afraid you're screwed.

TIPS FROM THE MASTER:

Using existing sound quirks from the campaign etc in your maps makes you come off as being a total noob, don't do it.

Using existing War3 characters is very dangerous, since if you don't play it right and have actual CHARACTER to the person it will come off as lame, stale, and also noobish. Nobody wants to see a map where Arthas shows up, talks about Frostmourne's will, and then kills someone just to leave afterwards.

Kinetic(moving) cameras give your work a more professional feel, however it also triples the lag. Make sure that all of your moving cameras have few units in sight and low Z-cutoffs (DK ;) )

SPECIAL EFFECTS FROM INSANITY
These are some effect ideas that I've come up with but have never had the time to make. I'm putting these here in the hopes that people will make good use of them.

Slow Motion: Periodic trigger every .02 second, pause game, wait .01 second, unpause game. This should make things go at half speed without the viewer being able to see any jerking around since it's going fast as hell.

Diablo II Frozen Orb: This one's hard and requires UMSWE. You must make a custom unit that's a blue wisp, give it the ghost ability, disable collision for it, and set it's cooldown to .05 (have to set attackbackswing to 0, needs UMSWE). Set it's projectile art to lich attack, and set it's attack type to seige. Make a trigger that makes the orb and orders the orb to move forward. Periodic trigger for .05 (guessing) that centers a specific region a short distance from the orb towards a VARIABLE angle. If somebody's in the region, tell the orb to shoot them, if nobody's there tell the orb to shoot at the ground. Then increase the variable by 10 degrees. After a few seconds remove the orb.

Direct Fade to Location: Note that this doesn't look perfect, but it's better than nothing. Periodic trigger every .02 seconds show cam 1, wait .01 seconds, show cam 2.

-Insaniteus-
Old 06-07-2003, 04:59 PM   #28
Shooter02
User

Shooter02 has little to show at this moment (0)

Note I havent tested this out yet but another possible way to do a direct fade is to use a custom fade filter of a screenshot of the second camera. Just apply the first camera, fade out, and apply the second one. You CANNOT have anything moving for this to look right.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:16 AM   #29
Insaniteus
User

Respected User

Damn, brilliant. I never would've thought of that. Nice.

Also, in a cinematic I suggest making all players neutral towards each other, or else you can't target them with stuff like Chain Lightning.

Don't make them enemies either, or else they'll fight before you want them too.

-Insaniteus-
Old 06-15-2003, 02:40 AM   #30
Shooter02
User

Shooter02 has little to show at this moment (0)

Holy crap did he just call me brillant? O no wait it was my idea.
Anyway here is the list of most of the camera properties. Couldnt think of how Angle of Attack work.

Target X: Thats the distance horizantle across the screen. To get a good Idea of how far the distance is look at the range of units' attacks

Target Y: Same as X but lengthwise or up and down the screen. (Note those are from the game viewing angle, not nessicarily the camera's)

Z Offset: I think its the distance from the ground...

Rotation: The way the camera is facing in a 360 degree field. Say you have a unit facing the camera when its at 90, at 0 and 180 its at the unit's sides and at 270 its at the unit's back.

AoA: i have no Idea what this one does or how it works. I think its used for the First person view.

Distance: Put simply its the distance from the base of the camera (is that the source or target?

Roll: Way underused, but its the axis of the camera on its side. Sadly the camera will only turn clockwise.

Field of View: How much of the terrain you can see. I think it just changes the x and y axis porportionitly.

Farz: How far into the distance you can see. The further you can see the better it looks, but the more it lags. Wasn't it Insaniteus that said DK was notorious for this?

EDIT BY INSANITEUS: Angle of Attack is the angle of the camera to the ground. At 360 you've got a 1st person-like look, and at 270 you're looking strait down on them. It's basically what you adjust with the mouse wheel in-game.
Closed Thread