wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > Misc. Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 03-27-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
Vuen
User

Submissions (5)

Vuen will become famous soon enough (64)Vuen will become famous soon enough (64)Vuen will become famous soon enough (64)

Spell making session 4 winner

Default Save-Lock Protection Tutorial

This is a tutorial on how to save-lock your map. It relies on the fact that the World Editor crashes when parsing an incomplete if-endif block. The purpose is to make your map open-source; anyone will be able to open it up in the World Editor and see how it works, but if they try to save it the World Editor will crash.

This is not meant as a strong protection, and it is quite easy to reverse. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE THIS WAY. It is only meant to keep your map protected from newbies or to prevent people from accidentally saving.

Why would you want this protection? Use it if you want your map to be open-source, but you want to keep newbies from spreading broken versions. I use it in my map because I compute the pathing map using a modified TerrainArt/Terrain.slk; saving without this file computes the pathing map incorrectly, and it has no effect when included in the map. Thus I have it save-locked using this weak protection rather than something strong to prevent people from breaking it, but to allow smart people to mod it correctly. If you don't want it to be easily reversed by knowledgeable mappers, then this protection is not for you.

To save-lock your map this way, follow these instructions:

1. BACKUP YOUR MAP! Open up the copy you want locked in WE (or WEU), set it up however you like, compute the shadow map, and do whatever you want to make it the release version. Be sure the map is saved before proceeding to the next step.

2. Add the following code to the bottom of the custom script code in the triggers:
Collapse JASS:
//This should crash WE when attempting to save:
function crash takes nothing returns nothing
    if true then

Remove the comment and call it something different if you don't want it to be obvious.

3. Save. The World Editor will crash. This is supposed to happen.

4. Open WE (or WEU) and open up the copy you want locked again. Go to the Import manager, and click Import. Go to the location where your map is saved. There will be a folder called <mapname>.w3xTemp . In this folder, you'll find a file called war3map.wct . Import this file, and remove the path so that it is called simply war3map.wct .

5. Save, and close the map.

That's it, you're done. Try opening the map again and saving; the World Editor will crash, leaving the map intact. Now distribute your map online!

To reverse the lock, just open up the map, remove the lines you added to the custom script code, and remove the file from the import manager. This will allow the map to once again be saved.
Vuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 03-29-2006, 05:38 AM   #2
Immoralis
Working on AoBM

Submissions (2)

Immoralis will become famous soon enough (47)Immoralis will become famous soon enough (47)

Send a message via AIM to Immoralis Send a message via MSN to Immoralis

you can accually make dummy functions instead of this one that are called but serve no purpose in that it is just to confuse the reader and not endif's on those
Immoralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #3
Freakazoid
I love you all.

Submissions (14)

Freakazoid is a jewel in the rough (159)Freakazoid is a jewel in the rough (159)

Well, if the noobs read your tutorial they can easly un-protect the map :), good tut by the way!
Old 03-31-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
ProFeT
User

Submissions (1)

ProFeT will become famous soon enough (71)ProFeT will become famous soon enough (71)ProFeT will become famous soon enough (71)

Outstanding Tool

Send a message via MSN to ProFeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid
Well, if the noobs read your tutorial they can easly un-protect the map :), good tut by the way!
That could means they arn't too noob anymore ;)
ProFeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
Vuen
User

Submissions (5)

Vuen will become famous soon enough (64)Vuen will become famous soon enough (64)Vuen will become famous soon enough (64)

Spell making session 4 winner

I really don't mind if they unprotect the map; I encourage people to mod it. This lock makes sure they pay some attention to what is needed to actually mod it, so you don't get noobs opening it up and rigging a hero for example without knowing anything about how it works.
Vuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:28 AM   #6
kaldoreielf
User

Submissions (2)

kaldoreielf has a little shameless behaviour in the past (-5)

Send a message via MSN to kaldoreielf

lol, if they read this, they will take the lock off; oh well it will keep noobs out, and thats all we really want. +rep

Funny Warcraft Pictures Gallery Latest Picture: Up-close Blood Mage

Last edited by kaldoreielf : 04-07-2006 at 08:32 AM.
kaldoreielf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:26 PM   #7
Meanie
User

Meanie is on a distinguished road (13)

Do you really think those idiots even find this thread,kaldoreielf?

Last edited by Meanie : 04-10-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:02 AM   #8
kaldoreielf
User

Submissions (2)

kaldoreielf has a little shameless behaviour in the past (-5)

Send a message via MSN to kaldoreielf

lol; thats what I mean, NOOBS wont be able to unlock it...

Funny Warcraft Pictures Gallery Latest Picture: Up-close Blood Mage
kaldoreielf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
kyuubi[lew]
User

kyuubi[lew] has little to show at this moment (0)

it is compatible with patch 1.24 ?
kyuubi[lew] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #10
Here-b-Trollz
Corkscrew Chainsaw!!!

Here-b-Trollz has a spectacular aura about (149)

Hero Contest #2 - 2nd Place

This went out of style with NewGen... maybe even before that.

Last edited by Here-b-Trollz : 10-30-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Here-b-Trollz is offline   Reply With Quote