wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 01-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #61
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

Sorry Dusk, I just saw your post (after posting)

--EDIT1--

Alright, FP, I've made a separate topic in the "General Dev" forum.
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 01-12-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:42 PM
TEC_Ghost
This message has been deleted by TEC_Ghost.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #62
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Sorry for the double-post, but I actually have a no-kiddin' Hero Discussion question to ask :P...

Dusk, why did you name your hero "DeadEye" (or "Dead Eye")? I honestly want to see the thought-process behind this. Because frankly, it stinks (where it is). It's an amazingly accurate/witty name for him... as a Proper Name. But the Hero Name is supposed to be, like, the Class. Is he a "Level 10 Dead Eye"? It just sounds off.

I know you hate the mere mention of his similarities with the DotA hero (Clinkz), but I honestly think that the Hero Name of "Bone Fletcher" would've fit him perfectly. I don't give a flying leap about "oh it's not original". It's perfect.
("Dead Eye, the Level 10 Bone Fletcher"... Yeah)

All in all, it almost sounds like an great AoS-y hero (have yet to test, so I could be terribly wrong :P), which wouldn't be unlikely, given your past projects.
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 01-12-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:46 AM   #63
Av3n
Roar!

Project Leader: TBR
Project Member: PoC

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

Hey guys I managed to import the AI's from wc3campaigns AI Contests #1 and #2.

These AI's might suck or might own you. Also since they are all made on different difficulty scales, Bomber and NotHuman became victors (Contests #1 and #2 respectively) so becareful of them!

The only map that I didn't do it on is Pyrogasm's entry since he imported his spells using the vJass preprocessor instead of coding them in-map and THE UnderRuler because it was missing a variable.

-Av3n
Attached Files
File Type: 7z HeroContest3AIs.7z (3.45 MB, 11 views)

Thanks to FatherTime for the sig
.:
Current ProjectsSubmissions
Power of CorruptionMy Terrain
The Black RoadMy Resources
Strikeforce
Twitter
Av3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #64
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

Quote:
So it does. What a strange rule, maybe this is to motivate entrants to also vote in order to keep it even.
Basically, the only ways to make the contestants' votes not to count is to either ask them to give --no vote-- to their entries or to give 1st place to them. However, doing that would reward the contestants that don't vote.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #65
Joker
User

Joker will become famous soon enough (32)Joker will become famous soon enough (32)

Played a game half distracted in windowed mode as Annelord with the reg ai. the icubate is pretty damn imba. So is the healing arua. Dunno if the ai is just that bad or if your hero is just damn good.
Attached Files
File Type: w3g Annelord.w3g (113.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Joker : 01-13-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:55 AM   #66
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorian
Basically, the only ways to make the contestants' votes not to count is to either ask them to give --no vote-- to their entries or to give 1st place to them. However, doing that would reward the contestants that don't vote.
As I suspected. Clever solution, I must say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrbi0
Dusk, why did you name your hero "DeadEye" (or "Dead Eye")? I honestly want to see the thought-process behind this. Because frankly, it stinks (where it is). It's an amazingly accurate/witty name for him... as a Proper Name. But the Hero Name is supposed to be, like, the Class. Is he a "Level 10 Dead Eye"? It just sounds off.
See, I didn't think most people would appreciate it, but that's okay. Let's consider the following example. We have a hero who is an undead hero and rides a dead horse. He manipulates the dead with his ultimate and is meant to counteract the Paladin. We will call this hero the Death Knight. Now, I am sure that you would say "Wow! What a great melee hero title!" and I would agree with you there.

Let us analyze what exactly makes that title so 'great'. Firstly, it is a knight in the sense that it rides a horse as a traditional (or rather, cliché) knight would. Secondly, it is, you know, both dead and manipulating death with the ultimate. Great, so it both makes sense and is simple for the environment.

Now, let's apply the same logic to Deadeye. Okay, so if you know anything about history, you know that an archer can be called many things. There are of course archer, marksman, and a few others of note. But now let's look at the creeps for a minute and notice that there is already a Skeletal Archer and Skeletal Marksman in-game. Oh, so those won't work, alright. If you dig really deep into history, you find that at some point, archers could also be called Deadeyes. This reminisced of their ability to have a 'dead' or unwavering eye when aiming. Okay, so let's now consider a Skeletal Deadeye. That isn't taken, but wait, there's this clever little note in the whole Deadeye thing. The hero is both dead and a deadeye, so it is therefore redundant (and less awesome) to call it a Skeletal Deadeye.

So, from here I reduced it to just Deadeye and thought about the ramifications of this action. Well, we already have heroes like the 'Dreadlord' and 'Firelord' and so forth that take two mundane words and mix them together. So from that perspective, the Dead and Eye aren't out of place as a title in the melee environment. Additionally, it both describes what he does and what he is. That's exactly what a title should be! I would argue that the title of Deadeye is about the only creative one in the entire contest both because it fits perfectly as a hero title but also makes you play that smirk across your features when you read it. He is the Deadeye.

Besides, he has some f*cking awesome proper names. Deadeye as a proper name would suck. I mean really -- "Glasskull the Sharp, Deadeye" just sounds so badass. So as much as you think I've failed, I honestly wouldn't change it for my life. If it causes me to lose the contest, so be it, I think I've achieved exactly what I wanted.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:33 AM   #67
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
See, I didn't think most people would appreciate it, but that's okay. Let's consider the following example. We have a hero who is an undead hero and rides a dead horse. He manipulates the dead with his ultimate and is meant to counteract the Paladin. We will call this hero the Death Knight. Now, I am sure that you would say "Wow! What a great melee hero title!" and I would agree with you there.

Let us analyze what exactly makes that title so 'great'. Firstly, it is a knight in the sense that it rides a horse as a traditional (or rather, cliché) knight would. Secondly, it is, you know, both dead and manipulating death with the ultimate. Great, so it both makes sense and is simple for the environment.
While you're analysis is correct, I'm not sure that was my first thought. I took the name as a whole and found it awexome; Death Knight sounds good and flows off the tongue. It brings to mind a Knight of Death, a literal champion of the undead, charging forth and spreading decay. (some of his spells could be changed, but meh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk
Now, let's apply the same logic to Deadeye. Okay, so if you know anything about history, you know that an archer can be called many things. There are of course archer, marksman, and a few others of note. But now let's look at the creeps for a minute and notice that there is already a Skeletal Archer and Skeletal Marksman in-game. Oh, so those won't work, alright. If you dig really deep into history, you find that at some point, archers could also be called Deadeyes. This reminisced of their ability to have a 'dead' or unwavering eye when aiming. Okay, so let's now consider a Skeletal Deadeye. That isn't taken, but wait, there's this clever little note in the whole Deadeye thing. The hero is both dead and a deadeye, so it is therefore redundant (and less awesome) to call it a Skeletal Deadeye.

So, from here I reduced it to just Deadeye and thought about the ramifications of this action. Well, we already have heroes like the 'Dreadlord' and 'Firelord' and so forth that take two mundane words and mix them together. So from that perspective, the Dead and Eye aren't out of place as a title in the melee environment. Additionally, it both describes what he does and what he is. That's exactly what a title should be! I would argue that the title of Deadeye is about the only creative one in the entire contest both because it fits perfectly as a hero title but also makes you play that smirk across your features when you read it. He is the Deadeye.

Besides, he has some f*cking awesome proper names. Deadeye as a proper name would suck. I mean really -- "Glasskull the Sharp, Deadeye" just sounds so badass.
Alright, alright. It has a historical background, I'm aware of that, but I've never heard it used like that. But that's cool; it makes sense now.

"Glasskull the Sharp"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk
So as much as you think I've failed, I honestly wouldn't change it for my life. If it causes me to lose the contest, so be it, I think I've achieved exactly what I wanted.
Excuse me; I don't think you've failed in any stretch of the imagination. It's just that, after all the buildup you gave your submission, the hero-name really threw me off. I literally did a double-take.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:50 AM   #68
Joker
User

Joker will become famous soon enough (32)Joker will become famous soon enough (32)

Played one with the Arcane Archer with the AI pack. Though, pretty boring to watch imo. The AI didn't do much.

This guy actually seemed underpowered. The beam did so little damage for the tiny AoE it has. The bonus dmg was alright. I didn't even get the swap. Don't really see a use for it. Game didn't last for the ulti :/
Attached Files
File Type: w3g ArcaneArcher.w3g (79.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-13-2009, 02:56 AM   #69
Av3n
Roar!

Project Leader: TBR
Project Member: PoC

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

Like I said the AI is shit at times, I just thought that it would a bit more challeging to see what the heros can do with different situations, can they take on their weakpoints easily etc. . I'll start testing soon anyways.

Most ladder games last without getting your ultimate anyways so in that case it is perfectly fine.

-Av3n

Thanks to FatherTime for the sig
.:
Current ProjectsSubmissions
Power of CorruptionMy Terrain
The Black RoadMy Resources
Strikeforce
Twitter

Last edited by Av3n : 01-13-2009 at 02:57 AM.
Av3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:19 AM   #70
Joker
User

Play another (last for today) with Deadeye. Imba hero. Has a slow and an AoE nuke. Ulti is shit-imba btw. Instant heal for your entire army.

The "What the ****" ai was actually pretty good. Actually harassed me and had pretty good micro.
Attached Files
File Type: w3g Deadeye.w3g (96.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-13-2009, 05:42 AM   #71
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Well, Dusk had a second epic fail here :P
The version of the map that's in the .7z is compiled and it all works fine... but it uses //! import, which means that the code does not show in the editor because using //! import doesn't modify the trigger text, only war3map.j

So if you're interested in viewing the code for my submission here it is:
Expand Incubator:
Expand Fester:
Expand Consolidation Aura:
Expand Hivebeing:

Also, here's a version of the map with that code in it, if you're super lazy and want to edit something about the spell but not replace all of the text yourself: Annelord-Fixed.w3x

A note about my submission: There is no art. TotallyAwesome did not come through with anything, really, so I had to adapt and come up with stuff on the fly. For the hero model I simply alpha'd out the weapon on FacelessOneUnbroken.blp and used that with a hero glow model. The original concept for the Annelids was some type of worm or something, but since Zerglings weren't used in a regular melee map, they worked out well. Fester actually has a buff model. It's Flies.mdx, but it's just abominably hard to see. This was just placeholder that never got replaced, in in the "fixed" version I replaced this with BloodlustTarget.mdx.

The ultimate is what I'm really most disappointed about. My original idea included the hero having a channeling animation that plunged his arms into the ground or grew worms out of his body that then went into the ground, created a ground effect, and then burst up in the target area to harass the units there. Since a lot of the spell was art-centric, I didn't really know what to code, and without art I just sort-of came up with something that didn't really work out too well.

About balance: yeah, I didn't really have much balancing time, and I realize that Annelids are weak. In theory, you won't be able to create an army of them with considerable health, but they could be buffed a bit. Oh well; that's life.

And complaints about bugs with Consolidation aura...? I've never seen it bug, but if you could show me a replay that would be cool. Or just describe the circumstances in which it wasn't healing.

At the very least I'm glad I finished. :D
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request ThreadDone for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:07 AM   #72
Kwah
Christmassy.

Submissions (4)

Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)

I started playing them last night. Got a basic review done for many of them, that I'll be improving on.
Kwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:33 AM
Litany
This message has been deleted by Litany.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #73
Mc !
Master Creator !

Acting art director
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (101)

Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd PlaceModeling session 2 - Chimeras

Send a message via MSN to Mc !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker
I didn't even get the swap. Don't really see a use for it.

Swap can be really usefull. As a ranged unit the ranger might be terribly damaged when attacked by too many melees, consider you have some few footmen and a rifleman somewhere else, in order to prevent your ranger to die you can easily swap with the rifleman, allowing him to use his abilities betterly too.

Aside from escaping you can also use it to trap enemies. For instance, you can put 4 knights around your ranger and let them stay there, when the enemy hero comes you swap him and have him trapped around the 4 knights, then you can focus magic on him just for fun.

And also can be used to put yourself on benefical positions for the spells. Focus Magic works on a line so sometimes it's difficult to use it efficiently, but if you swap with any unit to be right next to a line of enemies you can use it nicely. The same goes for the ultimate, that way your arcane arrow won't be a waste.

Awesomeness = #Rep / #Posts

Last edited by Mc ! : 01-13-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Mc ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #74
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

^Ah, thanks. I was going to ask the same thing in my Vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc!
Aside from escaping you can also use it to trap enemies. For instance, you can put 4 knights around your ranger and let them stay there, when the enemy hero comes you swap him and have him trapped around the 4 knights, then you can disintegrate him just for fun.
This = win. :P

~~~

BTW, you keep mentioning "Disintegrate"... is that the "Focus Magic" ability? Because "Disintegrate" actually sounds cooler (whereas "Focus Magic" probably fits better...).
Old 01-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #75
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

Quote:
The beam did so little damage for the tiny AoE it has.
It was originally very strong, but then I nerfed it. It can still be very strong against creeps, but this hero probably requires a lot of micro, specially the ultimate, hmnn.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote