wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Skinning / Texturing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 11-15-2008, 05:03 AM   #1
toofless
User

toofless has little to show at this moment (0)

Default Failed to load texture

Hi. I'm creating a simple model of an 'electric' ball just to see how to add custom models. After reading a tutorial using the plug-in for ms3d I followed it with success except that the texture doesn't load in game. Instead it just shows a pale white colour.

When the tutorial talks about importing a texture it says "Path:Textures\whatever.blp". So I made a folder called textures, converted my <mytexture>.bmp to .blp, put it in the folder and imported it to ms3d giving an error 'failed to import texture'. If I try to load a .bmp it imports fine. Neither way shows the texture in game.
So I used MPQEditor to add the .blp to the mpq which then causes WE to fail saying the archive is corrupt.
I've also tried importing the .blp into WEditor and using a custom path Textures/<mytexture>.blp which still doesnt work >.<
Can someone see where I'm going wrong

Tutorial:
http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=86308

I've uploaded my model file if you need to take a look at it.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: mdx core3d.mdx (4.3 KB, 9 views)
toofless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 11-15-2008, 05:14 AM   #2
toofless
User

And my model file in .ms3d (rar-ed)
Attached Files
File Type: rar reactorcore.rar (2.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
AnemicRoyalty

Texturing Moderator
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (23)

AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)

Skinning Contest #14 WinnerSkinning Contest #15 WinnerHero Contest #2 - 1st Place

I'd say it's a problem with the textures themselves (i.e. they are corrupt). In
addition, you're most likely going to have to reinstall WC3 in order to fix the
.mpq that has been corrupted. First things first, check the physical size of
your texture. It needs to be 32x32, 64x64,128x128, 256x256 or 512x512. Any
arbitrary number (for example 100x100 pixels) will not work ingame. Also
check your settings when exporting or converting. When saving as .tga or
.bmp, go for 32 bit depth for best results (preserves alpha channels and
doesn't destroy the texture). As for conversion, just try avoid anything too
extreme.

Oh right, rofl. Just downloaded it, and your texture path is still
<textures\white.blp> You'll need to edit the model (in Magos or in Notepad)
to be the texture you want to use.
AnemicRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
toofless
User

Awesome! That was exactly the problem. I can now create custom models and import them (with skins) successfully!

Thank you very much.

P.S. Adding and removing files from the .mpq doesn't seem to screw it that bad. Only that when there is an alien file it wont open warcraft. Once the file is removed it works fine; no need to re-install.

EDIT:
Thanks for the help but I have another problem to so with skinning. More specifically UV mapping.

I open my model in LithUnwrap and separate the groups so I can skin them with separate textures, save as .bmp and use photoshop to edit. In photoshop I add a new channel called Alpha 1 and paint white the areas I want showing and also apply my textures to the respective areas denoted by the UV map.
I then create material in ms2d and import the .blp converted from the .bmp, export, alter the path in the mdl, convert back to mdx and import into W3Editor.

It shows the skin but doesn't add it to the right groups and it also shows the black background which I didnt colour white in the alpha channel.

I've also tried creating separate uv maps for the different textures and editing the mdl to show 2 textures but to no avail.

There isn't an effective tutorial for uv mapping and I understand little about it. Could someone explain a little how to add different textures to separate groups?

Last edited by toofless : 11-18-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:35 PM
toofless
This message has been deleted by toofless. Reason: dbl post
Old 11-18-2008, 04:39 AM   #5
Hawkwing
User

Hawkwing is on a distinguished road (12)

Send a message via MSN to Hawkwing

Double-double-post? Well, since the second one wasn't quite forty-eight hours it's not officially a double-post.

Edit: Thanks for fixing it, toofless. ^^

Last edited by Hawkwing : 11-20-2008 at 03:45 AM.
Hawkwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)

Skinning Contest #12 WinnerSkinning Contest 6 ~ Ancient Civilization

I canīt understand what is the problem to be honest, but it seems more like an UVW issue, and that is not dealt in this section. Try to do a fast search in the modeling section or the tutorials and if you canīt find the answer, go ask in the modeling area.
NiRVaNa_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
toofless
User

Ok. Thanks.