wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > JASS/AI scripts tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 07-21-2007, 07:49 PM   #16
ClichesAreSt00pid
User

ClichesAreSt00pid has little to show at this moment (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim001
So you go from saying "no difference past 24 frames" to "not much of a difference beyond 32-38 frames," both times you are just pulling numbers out of thin air. Differences becomes less noticeable the higher the framerate goes, but up until 60 it's enough to make a strong difference in visual quality. Differences in framerates up to 60 (and beyond) can be noticed by most gamers, especially performance-tweaking FPS aficionados.

If you do a Google search you'll find tons of forum posts from people repeating the same "24 frames" thing (or a different number), which is supposed to be based off some poorly-conducted scientific study, probably from 20 years ago before computer gaming was popular. The fact that people still quote it like it's a fact is absurd.
No I didn't say it's no difference past 24 frames, I never said that. You put words in my mouth and yell about it for some reason. Theres just not much of a difference at all past 32-38 frames because your eye can't pick up every single frame. If your computer is doing 25 FPS then when your eye sees a frame it might be skipped by the computer, but if it's at around 32-38 it should always have that frame up when your eye sees it, because it won't even matter if it's at 60 frames vs. around 32-38 because your eye still sees the same thing. I don't get why you insult me when I am just trying to help and have a productive discussion.

The eye really can pick up about 24 frames per second, who are you to say it's not when you're just some guy who insults people for helping and bases his arguements off of FPS games when we're talking about mapping in wc3? Have you yourself tested it and found a different number vs. the other researchers who have found it's around 24 FPS? We're not playing your counter-strike or unreal tournament here we're talking about performance with many timers running and still having it look fine. A .03 or .04 timer I find looks perfectly fine, yet you insist that because in your FPS game it looks smoother yet thats not what we're talking about at all, and having multiple timers running at .01 or .02 can lag. You just assume, you haven't actually played and tested 20-35 timers running at .01 or .02 at the same time. A timer at .04 or .03 looks fine, .04 looks just a little jittery though if it's moving really fast.

Last edited by ClichesAreSt00pid : 07-21-2007 at 08:05 PM.
ClichesAreSt00pid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 07-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #17
grim001
requires vJass

Code Moderator

Submissions (10)

grim001 is just really nice (277)grim001 is just really nice (277)

Send a message via AIM to grim001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClichesAreSt00pid
Human eye can only see 24 FPS
Putting words in your mouth?

And if you have 25+ timers running for periodic movement then it's probably poor coding that is making you lag.
grim001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #18
Naakaloh
User

Submissions (2)

Naakaloh is a jewel in the rough (155)Naakaloh is a jewel in the rough (155)

Spell Making Session 09 WinnerSpell Making Session 05 Winner

Send a message via AIM to Naakaloh

The choppiness experienced during gameplay of high fps games is more likely to be caused by rendering issues rather than your eyes being too fast, but afterimages can result in percieved choppiness as well. Images are likely to begin to appear blurred at about 24 Hz. Imagine a sewing machine which probably does somewhere around 800 to 1500 stiches per minute or about 13 to 25 stiches per second, depending on the model and speed setting. In general, the human eye can distinguish distinct images of a home sewing machine even at maximum speeds with minimal motion blur. Additionally, typical refresh rates for monitors are at least 60 Hz, at lower refresh rates, most people can notice flickering afterimages. That, however, does not make you're claim stupid, but rather not necessarily accurate for gaming, considering that the 24 Progressive scan frames is the standard for films in theaters, in which case, there are significant differences than sitting in front of a computer screen.

Quote:
If you have bullets flying and 4 people are shooting machine guns that can be like 30 timers going at the same time, and for poor computers it might lag.

Incidentally, there should only be one timer in that situation, and maybe another for timing bursts if the bullets are being fired in bursts.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:17 AM   #19
ClichesAreSt00pid
User

ClichesAreSt00pid has little to show at this moment (4)

Do you think I said if the eye can only see 24 FPS that means ANYTHING above that is absolutely no difference at all? You don't read and understand people's post, you just quick skim it then start arguing, grim.

Last edited by ClichesAreSt00pid : 07-23-2007 at 04:21 AM.
ClichesAreSt00pid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:42 AM   #20
grim001
requires vJass

Code Moderator

Submissions (10)

grim001 is just really nice (277)grim001 is just really nice (277)

Send a message via AIM to grim001

Quote:
Do you think I said if the eye can only see 24 FPS that means ANYTHING above that is absolutely no difference at all?

Yes, that is the explicit meaning of that statement.
grim001 is offline   Reply With Quote