wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > - Submit a resource -
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 12-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
fX_
User

Submissions (2)

fX_ will become famous soon enough (38)fX_ will become famous soon enough (38)

Default Spectral Sight

Description:
With his twisted vision the Demon Hunter looks into the nether realm to better discern the fel essences of his foes and strike them with greater proficiency.

Requirements:
- ABuff by Anitarf (http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=95521)
- ABuffDisplay by Anitarf (http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=95521)
- IDDS by Rising_Dusk (http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=100618)
- SpellEvent by Anitarf (http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=105374)

Code:
Expand JASS:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg icon.JPG (13.1 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg plain.JPG (167.4 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg spectral.JPG (165.3 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg spectralattack.JPG (71.2 KB, 148 views)
Attached Files
File Type: w3x [Spell] Spectral Sight.w3x (289.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by fX_ : 02-03-2010 at 06:34 AM.
fX_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
ploks
User

ploks has little to show at this moment (6)

A lot spells coming into Submitted resources the last days :) Anyway, I suggest to add a screenshot showing the spell in action!
ploks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Karawasa
Element Tower Defense

Submissions (2)

Karawasa has a spectacular aura about (78)Karawasa has a spectacular aura about (78)Karawasa has a spectacular aura about (78)

Approved Map: Tropical TagApproved Map: Element TD

Send a message via AIM to Karawasa Send a message via MSN to Karawasa

I may be wrong but doesn't IDDS require you to code all spell damage? Seems like such a dependency is too much for one spell...

Element Tower Defense - Premier WC3 Custom Game
Karawasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Veev
User

Veev will become famous soon enough (63)Veev will become famous soon enough (63)Veev will become famous soon enough (63)

From the man himself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dusk
Notes:
This system is only applicable if all of the damage from spells in your map is triggered. The only way this system is useful is if the only damage units deal themselves is from attacks.
The system requires that all damage dealt via triggers be done using a function from the system rather than UnitDamageTarget().

http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=100618
Veev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
fX_
User

Submissions (2)

i need to distinguish damage dealt by attacks.
though i guess i should just use a damage modifier library (if there is such a thing) or, much simpler, abuse orb effects?
Old 12-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karawasa
I may be wrong but doesn't IDDS require you to code all spell damage? Seems like such a dependency is too much for one spell...
Everyone at this point in the game is doing that anyways if they've any sense about them, so there are worse dependencies to have. ABuff is actually the rougher of the requirements to have.

Anyways, is it a passive ability? If so, you should use a passive icon. (Random thought)
Old 12-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
fX_
User

Submissions (2)

its an activated ability. u get the effects only for the duration of the ability.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

'Kay.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

The ABuff's damage event that your spell uses will not function without the DamageEvent library, you need to list it in the requirements.

It seems a bit superfluous to maintain a separate list of markers and instances when you could simply enumerate all the buffs of that type instead. Then again, having a dedicated list is somewhat faster so this is acceptable.

You can avoid the data/olddata complications by using the new data1/data2/data3 members, since the ABuff system never modifies those the way it modifies data.

It seems inconsistent that you can see the special effect on the enemies if they cast a spell within the last ABSOLUTE_MAX_MARKER_DURATION seconds, but you can only deal bonus damage if they cast it within the last GetMarkerDuration() seconds.

It makes sense that most of the spell's special effects are local, however the damage effect should probably be visible to all players, since it concerns them all, not just the spectral sight owner.

Collapse JASS:
// You can replace this...
            loop
                if sensed[i] and GetPlayerId(GetLocalPlayer()) == i then
                    set fxPath = HIGHLIGHT_FX_MODELNAME
                endif
                set i = i + 1
                exitwhen i == 12
            endloop
// ...with this:
            if sensed[GetPlayerId(GetLocalPlayer())] then
                set fxPath = HIGHLIGHT_FX_MODELNAME
            endif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
ABuff is actually the rougher of the requirements to have.
How so?
Old 01-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #10
fX_
User

Submissions (2)

Quote:
It seems inconsistent that you can see the special effect on the enemies if they cast a spell within the last ABSOLUTE_MAX_MARKER_DURATION seconds, but you can only deal bonus damage if they cast it within the last GetMarkerDuration() seconds.
this is a different problem:
not just that, but there might be some discrepancy too in the case where two units of a player that are both using the ability attack an enemy that has casted a spell within the 'markerDuration' of the former but not within that of the latter: the marker will be displayed to the player but the extra damage will not apply for both his units.
i think the problem is that the marker special effect is displayed per player and not per unit (spectral sight casters).

Quote:
It makes sense that most of the spell's special effects are local, however the damage effect should probably be visible to all players, since it concerns them all, not just the spectral sight owner.
i didnt mean it as a damage effect, though it may imply that extra damage is being dealt. i categorized it with the marker special effect that is visible only to units with spectral sight.

i have addressed all of these problems except #4 because what ill do to fix that (or whether or not ill have to) might depend on what ill do to fix the problem i mentioned above.
edit: decided to address problem #4 too, anyway.
i added another condition in the 'if' in the second loop in Marker.display():
Collapse JASS:
if IsUnitEnemy(.subject, owner) and IsUnitInRange(.subject, insts[i].caster, insts[i].detectRng) [b]and ABSOLUTE_MAX_MARKER_DURATION-GetABuffTimeRemaining(.abuff) < insts[i].markDur then[/b]
but there's still problem i mentioned above.

Last edited by fX_ : 01-03-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #11
fX_
User

Submissions (2)

fixed something wrong with how damage detection is used. no longer uses DamageEvent.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

You don't verify in the OnBuffedAttackDamage function if the unit has the buff in the first place, which you should do since that code runs on all damage events so right now even units without the buff take bonus damage (not sure why you didn't use ABuff's built-in damage event which runs only for specific buffs).

Aside form this, the spell looks okay.