wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 06-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #16
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Elite
no 2nd/3rd place prize?
Not for spell sessions, no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorman
What are the limits on systems you can use?
Shit, did I really forget to type that into the rules? Damned I must've been tired. We're trying to promote new code for the contest, so try to make stand-alone spells without millions of pre-made systems. I realize that's kind of arbitrary, and it really is, but if your spell includes 12 knockbacks and nothing else, if you use my knockback system, you're not doing much new code for the spell. That, for instance, would not be allowed. If you need a few functions for geometrical reasons, etc. that's fine. Storage systems (Including CSSafety-style function sets), as always, are entirely allowed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjlr3
not that it matters but how the hell would someone get a map to 500kb w/o any imports?
This prevents users from using epic terrain size with a million doodads and stuff. The only reason the rule exists is because someone actually managed to break the limit in a past spell session. If you code/make a spell normally, it's not even worth bothering about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander244
Can we use iNfraNe's/Vexorians dummy model, or similar?
Yes, those are both entirely permissible. As a matter of fact, my last spell session's entry used Vexorian's dummy model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andriejj
I'd rather reccomend FF8, limit breaks there were more impressive. Renzuoken with Lionheart > Omnislash ;)
I never actually played any of the final fantasy series, I just remember someone telling me that something called Super Nova from FF7 was the most epic thing ever. *Shrugs* xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWolf
So since this is cinematic, I'm assuming the actual ability stats don't matter and it's all about looks? ^^
And epicness, of course.
It's kind of arbitrary, I forgot to finish my line in the first post because I was sleepy. Basically, the winner is decided by public vote like any of the spell sessions, so whatever can make the public happy is the best way to do it. Some of the voters look at code, some don't, etc. Weigh these things in when building your spells!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrogasm
Forgot to finish your sentence there? What will the rest do?
Yes, I did. The rest will be reviewed like normal spell resource submissions.

Updated the first post to address the questions.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #17
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Who remembers Knights of the Round Table? :P
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #18
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

I do! I remember I had forgotten to upload his screenshot or something so he yelled at me! :<
Old 06-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #19
Themerion
Brahms-fan

Submissions (2)

Themerion has a spectacular aura about (114)Themerion has a spectacular aura about (114)Themerion has a spectacular aura about (114)Themerion has a spectacular aura about (114)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
If you need a few functions for geometrical reasons, etc. that's fine. Storage systems (Including CSSafety-style function sets), as always, are entirely allowed.

I need a few functions from the CasterSystem. Can the spell be dependant on that too; or would you rather have me copy and paste CS_MoveUnit and GetACaster?
Creep Respawn System
It has never been easier to respawn creep groups...
Themerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #20
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Isn't GetACaster identical to a timer stack in CS Safety just with dummy units instead of timers? And CS_MoveUnit I am unfamiliar with, though I highly doubt it's more than 6 lines long. Just do it manually and don't use a function call, it's faster anyways.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #21
the-thingy
User

the-thingy will become famous soon enough (30)the-thingy will become famous soon enough (30)

I might enter (assuming I can think of something awesome to make), but I have four questions

1) Do we have to notify you before uploading the map, or we can just submit it directly to the Resources section with the [Spell11] prefix? I know f*** all about the general rules of spell sessions, so it would be nice to know before I end up doing something dumb. I know the rules state about WIP screenshots and that, but that doesn't explain anything about the submission :(

2)
Quote:
Entrants must focus on creating new code for the contest rather than using pre-made systems.

Are all non-data-storage systems prohibited, or is there some leeway here? I'm not 100% clear on this rule .

3) Are submissions allowed to be updated if bugs are found/improvements can be made, before the deadline?

4) This'll probably sound silly, but does it have to make sense? i.e. fireballs making ice-y explosions, and random things like that. I want to keep all my options open

Last edited by the-thingy : 06-19-2008 at 07:22 PM.
the-thingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #22
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-thingy
1) Do we have to notify you before uploading the map, or we can just submit it directly to the Resources section with the [Spell11] prefix? I know f*** all about the general rules of spell sessions, so it would be nice to know before I end up doing something dumb
You can let me know or not, it's not a requirement. I am sure that if you submit it to the correct place with the correct prefix, I will find it. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-thingy
Are all non-data-storage systems prohibited, or is there some leeway here? I'm not 100% clear on this rule
It's too arbitrary a rule to quantify perfectly, but let me try. If more than 1/3 of the code for your spell is in a system that you imported, you are 99% assured to be yelled at/potentially disqualified. If you need some functions, try to avoid needing them. (Things like polar projections and such can be done directly, among other things)

All non-data, storage systems are not prohibited, but if the systems involved in your spell constitute a large chunk of the code, I will review your entry for disqualification. The idea of these contests is to promote the creation of new code. The safest way to be is to just do everything manually. (I really can't imagine needing a non-storage system for anything that fits this session's theme in the first place except maybe knockback, though that's easy enough to do manually)
Old 06-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #23
Av3n
Roar!

Project Leader: TBR
Project Member: PoC

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

Hmm... ideas start spraking up.

I might actually have time to participate in this one as well.

-Av3n

Thanks to FatherTime for the sig
.:
Current ProjectsSubmissions
Power of CorruptionMy Terrain
The Black RoadMy Resources
Strikeforce
Twitter
Av3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #24
the-thingy
User

the-thingy will become famous soon enough (30)the-thingy will become famous soon enough (30)

Thanks for clarifying that much, just needed to know incase I decided to use my lightning system and ended up regretting it.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #25
Themerion
Brahms-fan

Submissions (2)

Themerion has a spectacular aura about (114)Themerion has a spectacular aura about (114)Themerion has a spectacular aura about (114)Themerion has a spectacular aura about (114)

CS_MoveUnit is a wrapper around SetUnitX/Y which checks if the point is within WorldBounds. It's a bit more than 6 lines long :P

Beh, I can perhaps do it without the Caster System functions...
Creep Respawn System
It has never been easier to respawn creep groups...
Themerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #26
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Collapse JASS:
    local rect r = bj_mapInitialPlayableArea
    if X <= GetRectMaxX(r) and X >= GetRectMinX(r) and Y <= GetRectMaxY(r) and Y >= GetRectMinY(r) then
        call SetUnitX(MyUnit, X)
        call SetUnitY(MyUnit, Y)
    endif
Looks like 5 lines to me. *Shrugs* :p
Old 06-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #27
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)

Send a message via MSN to Ignitedstar Send a message via Yahoo to Ignitedstar

Final Fantasy isn't the only thing out there. There's Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean, Disgaea, I bet even Touhou.

I have an idea, but it won't be as well executed as everyone else's will be.
I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

1 Corinthians 13:1-2

Current Works:
None.
Ignitedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #28
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitedStar
Final Fantasy isn't the only thing out there. There's Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean, Disgaea, I bet even Touhou.
Okay, okay, I'm sorry for trying to think of an example people could relate to. I don't even own a television, so I was just thinking of a game with stereotypical 'finisher' moves! This isn't a "Which game had cooler finisher moves" topic.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #29
the-thingy
User

Also, what about imported sounds? I have a spell idea in mind, but it just won't be the same without a particular custom sound (about 5 seconds long, so it shouldn't exceed the 500kb limit), and the rules don't seem to mention anything about sounds...
Old 06-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #30
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Final Fantasy X(-2)'s overdrive abilities are pretty ballin' too.

Regarding sounds: Where did you get the sound from? Did you make it yourself or is it ripped from somewhere? Did you find it online at a free sound-effects website or something?

Where you got it determines if you can use it or not. I think sounds as a general rule should be allowed, but only if you made them yourself or they were created specifically to be used as free resources (e.g.: not UT sounds).
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.

Last edited by Pyrogasm : 06-19-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote