wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Concept Art / Fan Art
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 05-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #31
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Project Leader: LoC

Submissions (27)

Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)

Oh, what the hell. I'll give this a shot. Quick sketch...

"Arthas, The Fallen King"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheFallenKing.jpg (169.0 KB, 60 views)
Archian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 05-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #32
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

He has no beard, just some stubbles.

Pulling the sword out of muradin is badass and all, but it doesnt tell the story of how he came in possession of frostmourne, it tells the story of how he murdered muradin. Its a subtile visual diffrence, but a really big narrative diffrence.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #33
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Submissions (27)

Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)

"but it doesnt tell the story of how he came in possession of frostmourne"

Wait a minute. That was required? Hmm, I must have missed that part in that case...
Old 05-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #34
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

No thats not required, thats what i want top portray personally. I just think arthas coming into possession of the blade is a nerratively stronger subject then arthas stabbing his dwarf friend to death with said blade.

Anyone kan do a portrait of undead arthas with his frostmourne, its not that difficult. I want to do a little more then that, tell a story with my picture.

Last edited by erwtenpeller : 05-19-2008 at 01:25 PM.
erwtenpeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #35
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)

Mapping Contest First Place

Send a message via AIM to emjlr3 Send a message via MSN to emjlr3

Quote:
Be brutal.

neat angle, but it looks, dare I say, childish, or too cartoony, granted its a WIP, but I can honestly say I do not think you could win with that

I am not 100% sure what they are looking for, but I think, from what I have seen of your work, that your style is more cartoonish style (not that that is a bad thing), however, compared to say:

I am not sure if that will cut it

again I quote

Quote:
Be brutal.

Quote:
Oh, what the hell. I'll give this a shot. Quick sketch...

not bad, but seriously it just looks like something that has been done a hundred times already by blizzard

Last edited by emjlr3 : 05-19-2008 at 01:38 PM.
emjlr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #36
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjlr3
not bad, but seriously it just looks like something that has been done a hundred times already by blizzard
Yeah wich is exactly what i want to avoid. The picture you linked though, has exactly the same problem. I want to draw arthas before he was a death knight. A desporate, crazy paladin on the edge of sanity. Once the lighting is on the image should be a lot darker, but i want to keep it my own. i'm not a big fan of needless badassery, i like things with a bit of spark and color.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:42 PM   #37
Gorman
.▲▼▲&#9

Submissions (2)

Gorman will become famous soon enough (70)Gorman will become famous soon enough (70)Gorman will become famous soon enough (70)

Send a message via MSN to Gorman

the pose isnt all that impressive, i would have gone with a right hand one handed grasp, so you can see his arrogance and slight narcissism. The left hand could be gentley, but firmly preventing Murdian from comming closer as he attempts to prevent Arthas from removing the sword.

Your setting is kinda meh, i assume ur gonna make it nicen smooth latter, but you may want to make it more imposing or interesting...

Historicaly Arthas didnt even pull the sword from the ice, it shattered when he said that he would bear the curse to save Lordaeron (and a shard killed Murdian when it shattered). It then floated there for a second while Arthas retrieved it. (geez havent u guys played the TFT camapin?)

So yeah, i dont like the pose or setting... and i dont think its historical either.

BTW; "Its obvious you know nothing of wow." how come you never recognise sarcasm? is sarcasm an Aussie only thing, coz i realy dont think it is...
Old 05-19-2008, 03:13 PM   #38
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjlr3
Hehe, yeah I know. That's why I hate a contest like this.. Why arthas :P
You can't really do much which havn't already been done before.. Like you said yourself.

Oh well, you guys havn't seen nothin' yet.
I too plan on telling a story.. Notice the background?.. Well, that'll do nicely for some flash back images..

Like from the Muradin's death to the death of King Terenas :)

Oh, and the Lich King in the top center :P

Hmmmm, yesss..

Last edited by Archian : 05-19-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #39
antihero
Evening Commmmmmmissioner

Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (11)

antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)

Skinning Contest #13 WinnerSkinning contest 2

There is nothing wrong with butchering warcraft lore; blizzard does it all the time. Frankly I like the event that erwt is trying to portray. Infinitesimally more interesting than a corrupted Arthas.
"I smolder with generic rage."

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHEEEHAHAHAHAHA
antihero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #40
Sabertooth_X
YOU GET ROCKED?

Submissions (14)

Sabertooth_X will become famous soon enough (54)Sabertooth_X will become famous soon enough (54)

Arthas, a la Sword in the Stone.
It even feels epicer.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #41
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Submissions (27)

Bla bla bla...

I don't think this has been done before...

EDIT: Going to adjust the height a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheFallenKing.jpg (254.6 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Archian : 05-19-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #42
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwtenpeller
No thats not required, thats what i want top portray personally. I just think arthas coming into possession of the blade is a nerratively stronger subject then arthas stabbing his dwarf friend to death with said blade.

Anyone kan do a portrait of undead arthas with his frostmourne, its not that difficult. I want to do a little more then that, tell a story with my picture.
Well said. You got me thinking about the whole thing and I brainstormed another strong narrative scene, too bad I can't participate (or paint well enough, for that matter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeruK
I'd have him pull the sword out of Muradin rather than the iceblock; not only more accurate but also heavy amounts of awesome.
Actualy, it wasn't the sword that killed Muradin, but the shards of the sword's icy prison flying in all directions. The sword just flew up into the air and landed into the ground next to Arthas.

That's why I found Erwt's sketch rather funny, in the ingame animation he just reaches nonchalantly for the blade with one hand before the animation ends, looking all cool, and Erwt's sketch of him struggling with both hands is a rather funny continuation of that, even though that probably wasn't Erwt's intention.

Wait, did I just double post...?
Edit: Damn, I did.
Edit2: Heh, forgot I can just merge posts. I'm so cool.

Last edited by Anitarf : 05-19-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #43
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Submissions (27)

So, you guys want me to stop what I'm doing and instead come up with something as brilliant as erwt's piece...

Well, I have no plans to beat erwt.. And without a doubt I belive that erwt's going to get some more attention in this contest. Good luck erwt :)

I don't even think I'll manage to finnish this piece before deadline.. As I have other artworks to attend to... Stuff I'm getting paied to do ^^

lol, I just forgot the deadline.. Seems like I have a reasonable chance to make it afterall..

Last edited by Archian : 05-19-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:33 PM   #44
antihero
Evening Commmmmmmissioner

Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (11)

antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)

Skinning Contest #13 WinnerSkinning contest 2

He just looks too generic archian

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHEEEHAHAHAHAHA
antihero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:43 PM   #45
Denu
Cackle Cackle!

Submissions (14)

Denu has a spectacular aura about (99)Denu has a spectacular aura about (99)Denu has a spectacular aura about (99)Denu has a spectacular aura about (99)

Send a message via MSN to Denu

Why not draw him as he is about to plunge Frostmourne into his father? Call it "Succession" and focus on Arthas' madened visage. That is what first came to mind when I heard of this contest.
Denu is offline   Reply With Quote