wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > Misc. Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 04-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #16
Earth-Fury
Two Blue

Submissions (7)

Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)

Send a message via MSN to Earth-Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_da_noob
This is going in my sig for a start, and if I had my way this would be sticked in all development forums.

Edit: oh yeah, you should add that you need to make sure you are posting your problems in the right place.
Also, for people helping, just giving them a trigger as the solution is always inferior to helping them construct the trigger themselves.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for life.
Yes?

The fact that this tutorial is usefull enogh to put in a sig is an indicator of how stupid a large number of people are. And thanks ;) I'm eventually going to add it to my ever-expanding sig...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutorial
Go to the forum that best suits what your question is about
It probobly should be more previlent then that... But I risk including more typos with another sleep-less edit, so I'll worry about it later.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorian
I suggest not using colors, they are evil since the site has got different themes...
I'm eventually going to ensure all the colours i use are visible and eaisily readable in all themes. And vex, don't spell it the american way =(
Search
Tutorials
Ability Guide

UnitMaxState
BonusMod

AutoIndex
ARGB
TimerUtils

Last edited by Earth-Fury : 04-09-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Earth-Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 04-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #17
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

Both words are correct I don't care.

And, seriously, rule for tutorials is no colors.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:08 AM   #18
operator
User

Submissions (7)

operator will become famous soon enough (37)operator will become famous soon enough (37)

Send a message via MSN to operator

Nice tutorial :)
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #19
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth-Fury
So, you're thread is posted!

I suggest you re-read your thread.

Be excellent to each other.

Last edited by Whitehorn : 04-15-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Whitehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #20
Oglog
User

Submissions (1)

Oglog has little to show at this moment (9)

Send a message via MSN to Oglog

Hehe they have something like this on thehelper.net, kinda pointless due to the fact, as someone pointed out earlier, that people who should read this won't. But quite nice anyway, also most people dont change the theme and colours make it interesting.

And I presume Vex spells it the american way because that is the way it is spelt in most programming languages, i'm starting to spell it like that too .
Old 04-21-2007, 11:28 PM   #21
PurgeandFire111
User

PurgeandFire111 will become famous soon enough (58)PurgeandFire111 will become famous soon enough (58)

Well, I guess I just decided to grammar check your tutorial , it is great though btw...

Quote:

You are asking people to help you. People who don't have to help you. People who take time away from their own projects to be part of the community. If you want help, there is something more important than anything else you must do. It is the main message in this tutorial: it is to help those that want to help you to help you!

This is an extreme run-on sentence. You can easily join together the sentences as so:
Quote:
You are asking people to help you; people who don't have to help you; people who take time away from their own projects to be part of the community.

Next:

Quote:
[*]Write out as many details as you can about the effect you want to achieve or the problem you are having. Write down every detail![*]Tell people what you have tried to do to obtain the desired effect, or solve the current issue. You don't always need to post a screen shot, a trigger, or snippet of code. But, when you really think it is where the issue lays, and it can better communicate what you want to do / whats wrong then words can, then please do post it.

Whats should be "what's" or "what is".

Quote:
[*]Are you communicating what you want explained, or what you need help understanding? We are not psychic, we need you to explain what you mean!
The comma should be replaced with a semicolon (;)...

Quote:
[*]Remember that people who are here trying to help you may know things you do not. Thats not a bad thing, but ignoring their experience is likely to make them not waste their time on you. Try to take what experienced users say, and use that information to learn how to make your own map.

Thats should be "That's" or "That is"...

Quote:
[*]Double post. This means posting directly after yourself. There is the exception to this rule, and that is bumping. See #2.

"Yourself" should be "You", but it is ok...

Quote:
[*]Bump a thread before it has left idle for 48 hours. If a thread has had no replies for 2 days or so, its ok to bump it.[*]Revive a thread after a few weeks. If a thread is a few weeks old, do no reply to it.[*]Insult people that try to help you. This should be higher up on the list, but its likely to get you banned. So don't do it.[/list]

"its" should be "it's" or "it is"...

Quote:
If you can not see why that is a bad thread, read the rules again. Little information is given, and it is near illegible. A large number of helpful people will simply ignore such a post, because its impossible to help someone from such a post! And as a small side note: Smiles are meant to enhance words. Don't over use them.

"its" should be "it's" or "it is" again...

Quote:
Here's what I've got so far:
Some trigger:
Collapse Events
Unit - A unit starts the effect of an ability
Collapse Conditions
(Ability being cast) equal to Time Rift
Collapse Actions
---- Some actions here, etc. This tutorial is not concerned with what is [b]written,[/b] only that something is written. ----
How would I fix my above problems? Examples along with explanations would be appreciated!
[/table]

"written," should be "written;" instead.

Quote:
Whats diffrent about this thread? Allot of information is given. Its written well, and easy to read. It defines the problem, what has been tried, and is kind to those that read it. While asking for a handout, it is obvious the poster is interested in learning and trying to improve their own skills. This is the type of post I sometimes give people rep for.

"Whats" should be "What is", "Diffrent" should be "Different", "Allot" should be "A lot", and "Its" should be "it's" or "It is". (Also, "their own" is a reflexive pronoun use, but it's ok)

Quote:
While on this subject, let me mention that posting "thank you" is a rather silly thing to do. The reputation system exists so you can show people thanks by giving them reputation. Its also a nice place to leave a comment with your thanks.

"Its" should be "It's" or "It is".

Quote:
How This Tutorial Helps Helpful People
Tired of answering questions with more questions, just to be able to help someone? Tired of dealing with people unwilling to do things for themselves? Tired of people who are just pricks? Well then, link them here, and tell them to learn how to post before they try doing it again. Its your hobby to help people. Don't let them make it suck.

"Its" should be "it's" or "It is".

Quote:
Edit History:
Edited because: Edited for content, formating, and a few spelling and grammar errors.
Edited because: Edited for mostly funny and ironic spelling errors.
Edited because: [list]'ed my lists.
Edited because: Minor spelling fixes.

"formating" should be "formatting".

That's about it.

I may have missed some errors or fragments or any other grammatical errors, but I think I got most of it. This is a great tutorial and has an extremely great purpose. This is pretty good for someone who fails English as you said.
PurgeandFire111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:50 AM   #22
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurgeAndFire111
This is an extreme run-on sentence. You can easily join together the sentences as so:
Actually, that's the exact opposite of a run-on sentance. Technically, since each of those are separate thoughts, he doesn't have to combine them.

I wouldn't combine them because it stresses each phrase with more 'oomph'. Think of it with a pause after each period.
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:50 AM   #23
blu_da_noob
Nonchalant

Respected User

Submissions (2)

blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)

[Quicksilver #2] - 2nd Place[Quicksilver#1] 1st place

Send a message via MSN to blu_da_noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrogasm
Actually, that's the exact opposite of a run-on sentance. Technically, since each of those are separate thoughts, he doesn't have to combine them.

I wouldn't combine them because it stresses each phrase with more 'oomph'. Think of it with a pause after each period.

Definite /agree.

Quote:
"Yourself" should be "You", but it is ok...

No, it should be yourself.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:57 PM   #24
PurgeandFire111
User

PurgeandFire111 will become famous soon enough (58)PurgeandFire111 will become famous soon enough (58)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrogasm

Hmm... I guess so, but I thought it sounded a little bad how it suddenly stopped with periods, though I totally agree with your statement of how it adds an extra push or 'oomph' to the sentence.

@blu_da_noob: Yea, I think I misunderstood how it was phrased. Thanks for pointing that out, then again, I'm not like an English expert.
PurgeandFire111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #25
Earth-Fury
Two Blue

Submissions (7)

Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)

Send a message via MSN to Earth-Fury

Yay! Spelling and grammar fixes give me a nice excuse to bump this thread! =D

Rep for you, PurgeandFire111
Search
Tutorials
Ability Guide

UnitMaxState
BonusMod

AutoIndex
ARGB
TimerUtils

Earth-Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:51 AM   #26
TheCrystalBlade
User

TheCrystalBlade has little to show at this moment (2)

Extremely useful thread, but as others have said
"Those who should read this won't."
We can't stop those who don't check the forums, check the helper.. Its so sad..
TheCrystalBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:29 AM   #27
Syntic_Arrow
User

Submissions (4)

Syntic_Arrow has little to show at this moment (6)

People might not read this cause they think they are not the person who needs this topic, aswell as they think this is offending them. Maybe the content is right, but the way you describe it might be too ... confronting for people of whom this is applied to.
Syntic_Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #28
The Elite
For External Use Only

Submissions (6)

The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)

+rep and to solve the "people who should read this dont" it should be stickied in all (or most) of the forums.

Goths are nerds that dress like vampires. -Dominant-Male
Oh, and wc3c wasn't dying back in 2007 and it isn't now. Our secret is simple: you can't kill the undead ... - Vexorian

We're definitely not going to make a G or a PG version of this. It's not PillowfightCraft. - Chris Metzen on the Warcraft Movie
Man, we're considered elitist all over the internet. This makes me feel nice and warm inside. - ghenjis
Please help! I'll provide no information, you must guess! - Whitehorn
The Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:22 AM   #29
darkwulfv
Alpha Male of Wc3c

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (6)

darkwulfv is just really nice (270)darkwulfv is just really nice (270)

Send a message via AIM to darkwulfv

I suggest you add a section detailing NOT to ask us to make your entire map for you, and to at least check out how to do SOMETHING before you ask.

(A certain someone in GD just posted asking for nearly his entire map done for him)
a dota like map but with unique stuff
(There was no map attached, and that was all the thread said.)
Spells I've Made

Darkwulfv's Lightning Grapple || Tritanis' Lazy Bolt

darkwulfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:44 AM   #30
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

I think the infamous wraith threads should be referenced as to how not to act when people tell you what you need to do.
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote