wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > Misc. Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 07-23-2004, 03:42 PM   #16
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Well, it's a bit of a gray area here for me as well. Just replacing the link to the original arthas skin with a new one would mean that you still need multiple models for multiple skins, right? However, if you just added a new skin, wouldn't the materials and stuff like that still point to the old skin, making the other one not appear? So I am wondering as well, if you put in an additional texture, how do you then select in the WE which one to use? Is it the same as with the priest/sorceress models that have a new skin in TFT? And if you just replace the skin path, how is that having multiple skins on one model?

On a side note, I always thought that bitmaps were the real size inflators and adding a model to each skin was no big deal, so now I am curious, how many kilobytes is an average model? And how many an average skin?

Anyway, altrough this is rarely useful, as you seldom require many skins based on the same model (because only having many skins already means a large map size), but I guess every kilobyte counts, so even if you have just two new skins on one model, it's good if you are able to do them with a single model file. And this is a good tutorial on skining in general, doesn't give much info, but for someone just starting with skinning, it's good to learn the fundemental basics first. GJ Draco.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:57 PM   #17
Draco
Need a Stockmarket App?

Respected User

Submissions (1)

Draco will become famous soon enough (68)Draco will become famous soon enough (68)Draco will become famous soon enough (68)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD[Lion]
All that is really needed here is something like "Textures\Arthas2.blp"

What did u mean with "Textures\Arthas2.blp"? Shall i replace the "Textures\Arthas.blp" witht this? or shall i keep it the same? or shall i add new texture bitmap? I dont get this part.

Replace the text in your model file that ORIGINALLY HAS "Textures\Arthas.blp"

Replace it with something NEW. It doesn't really MATTER what you put in the quotes, but you have to use a NEW PATH. "Textures\Arthas2.blp" would be a NEW PATH as the ORIGINAL is without the 2.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 05:51 PM   #18
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Yes, but... that way, you get a new model for a new skin... and if you have two new skins, you need two new models to carry them, despite the fact that they are indentical except for the skin file path. That makes the "tutorial of the moment" link a bit misleading because it implies that only a single model can be used for multiple skins (which is how, at least judging from other posts, other people see it as well). Not to critisize you, after all, the topic title is >Tutorial - Using more than one skin on the "same model" (Importing a copy model)<, just the link on the main page is a little misleading.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:41 PM   #19
FuDnet
User

FuDnet has little to show at this moment (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
Yes, but... that way, you get a new model for a new skin... and if you have two new skins, you need two new models to carry them, despite the fact that they are indentical except for the skin file path. That makes the "tutorial of the moment" link a bit misleading because it implies that only a single model can be used for multiple skins (which is how, at least judging from other posts, other people see it as well). Not to critisize you, after all, the topic title is >Tutorial - Using more than one skin on the "same model" (Importing a copy model)<, just the link on the main page is a little misleading.

wtf.. now I am confused.. o_O I am right in that this tut shows you how to add more skins to one model, in the way that it will have several skins to choose from right ?

And Draco, how does this work is you replace "Textures\Arthas.blp" with "Textures\Arthas2.blp" ? Wouldn't that make the model unacceptable with the original one ?

I've understood it as you make a NEW line with "Textures\Arthas2.blp" and not replacing it :P But if I'm wrong, please correct me..
FuDnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 10:18 PM   #20
Draco
Need a Stockmarket App?

Respected User

Submissions (1)

Draco will become famous soon enough (68)Draco will become famous soon enough (68)Draco will become famous soon enough (68)

Does the clarifying line help?
Old 07-25-2004, 03:33 AM   #21
demonboiwr
User

demonboiwr has little to show at this moment (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco
Does the clarifying line help?

i think i got it. can't try it yet till i get home from my trip...

but lets see... i replace textures\arthas.blp with textures\arthas2.blp. so one skin path is textures\arthas.blp and the other is textures\arthas2.blp correct? but how do we select which skin for the model to use? is it through the object editor (i.e... RoC/FT just as it is for elves/bloodelves)?
demonboiwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 04:20 AM   #22
Draco
Need a Stockmarket App?

Respected User

Submissions (1)

It's based on the model file you set in the Unit Editor. If you set it to the imported one, it'd use Arthas2.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:15 AM   #23
MaD[Lion]
MaD Da ViNci

Respected User

Submissions (10)

MaD[Lion] is a jewel in the rough (225)MaD[Lion] is a jewel in the rough (225)MaD[Lion] is a jewel in the rough (225)MaD[Lion] is a jewel in the rough (225)

i got it too, it was just that i didnt do the tutorial, i did only figured it out.
Thanks alot man, this just rock the clan
Timing SystemTiming system that simulates the usage of PolledWait just with 0.01 accuracy
MaD[Lion] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 04:13 PM   #24
demonboiwr
User

demonboiwr has little to show at this moment (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco
It's based on the model file you set in the Unit Editor. If you set it to the imported one, it'd use Arthas2.

ohhhh... lol, i knew how to do that X_X. i thought this was to use one model for two skins... as in importing...

1 completely new model
2 different skins that can be assigned

or...

1 model
2 different skins
...while excluding the original model and orginal skin

so its 1 skin per model eh... thanks for the clarification!
demonboiwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:09 AM   #25
Dr.R
User

Dr.R has little to show at this moment (0)

Is there any way to do this on a macintosh? I am a mac user and, therefore, cannot use the file converter or any mpq programs.
Dr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:50 AM   #26
Demon-Reaper
User

Demon-Reaper has little to show at this moment (0)

look in www.war3sear.ch (dl section) there's some in there, good ol' Darky! Speaking about Darky, didn't he do this tut but in more detail with pictures using arthas as an example or is it just my imagination?
Demon-Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 06:20 PM   #27
Draco
Need a Stockmarket App?

Respected User

Submissions (1)

www.wc3sear.ch
Old 08-05-2004, 04:16 AM   #28
Qwerty_UIO
User

Qwerty_UIO has little to show at this moment (0)

Yeah I think he did, he gave Arthas a brother named Erthas, I think
Qwerty_UIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 07:14 PM   #29
MadBagOfHorses
User

MadBagOfHorses has little to show at this moment (0)

I don't see how that strange lot got confused about this tut. It really is great. In the headline on the first post it even says "importing copy models". Anyway, this has worked for a grunt skin I did (second skin I ever made). But with the first I am having troubles (a footman skin). I am completely sure it's something simple, and I believe it has to do with importing, and not this. However I am not sure what the problem is... So I am going to post EVERYTHING I did, right here. I will probably post it somewhere on an importing thread too, just to cover all angles.
Here's what I did:

First off, I use WC3 Viewer (love it), I use WC3 File Converter (linked to on the first page of this thread), I use Photoshop 7.0 (with the Targa Plug-in (but that has nothing to do with this)).
I used the WC3 Viewer to pull up a footman, extracted and converted the textures he uses (textures\gutz.blp textures\footman.blp), than extracted the footman.mdx so I would beable to make my copy model. I used Photoshop to make my skin, saved it, and converted it back to .blp (with the WC3 Viewer, along with textures\gutz). I than used the file converter to make the footman.mdx to a .mdl (yes it was in the same folder as the file converter). I used notepad to edit the "textures\footman.blp" to "textures\chaosfootman.blp" (my skin). I then saved it on notepad, converted it back to .mdx (gave 2 error messages, but you said to ignore them, so I did), then changed the name of it to chaosfootman.mdx. I went into the WC3 Viewer, just to see my skin, and when I loaded the .mdx the whole skin was red (not textured at all). I figured it was because my texture wasn't loaded in the viewer yet (where you can 'remap textures'). I didn't want to fool with that right away, so I just went to the world editor (I use WEU). I made a new map (skin test map), imported my chaosfootman.mdx chaosfootman.blp and the gutz.blp. Set the path for the chaosfootman.blp to textures\chaosfootman.blp and the gutz to textures\gutz.blp. To my understanding, this should have worked beautfifully. However It claims to not beable to open load the .mdx.

If anyone can find something that I did wrong, or didn't do. Than please fill me in. As I said, I am new to skinning and I learning fast (thanks to this website and the great members, esp. you Draco, beautiful tuts). However, we all need help sometimes, this is one of mine.

Thanks for your time.

-MadBagOfHorses
MadBagOfHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:53 AM   #30
Elven-King-R
User

Elven-King-R has little to show at this moment (0)

Ive got a problem after over 6 days of trial and error, i've got shandris but she's got two different skin paths. One's Textures\Hero_Ranger.blp or somethin and the other's the units\nightelf\Shandris\Shandris.blp. Which 1 do i change?
Elven-King-R is offline   Reply With Quote