wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Ghost Forums > Map Database
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 06-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #16
Tim.
Missing You All at Wc3c

Site Owner

Submissions (18)

Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)

Approved Map: PiratesSpell making session 3 winner

You did not fix all the problems I mentioned. Below are the ones you missed, and some new ones.
  • You can kick players who are not in the game, and you can kick players who you already kicked.
  • Kicking a player does not remove their unit.
  • Kick still uses player 1 red, it should use the host as found at the map start.
  • Do not make the units heroes, since they are automatically selected the hero icon just gets in the way. Also this will remove the ‘Your hero has fallen’ messages, which get in the way too.
  • You need to update the quest log, it still referes to Player 1 Red rather than the host.

Avast! Seen Pirates? Get it here!
Tim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 06-07-2006, 06:30 PM   #17
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aray
- I agree. Such games as tag-games and SvsN have excisted on b.net for a very long time. These kind of games are alot easier to play (and you can also achieve better strategies and more fun) when playing with no delay, but the fact is that everyone will most likely have some delay when playing on b.net, but this doesn't necessarily make these games any worse, it just makes them a little bit harder to play, for all.
Except for the host.

At least this is not a competitive game, it's just no fun when the host kills everyone in those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulla
I can honestly dont see why, the map is not meant to logical or predictable in anyway.

If it was it would simply become a game of mathematics & routines, where you always do the same thing over and over.
The randomness makes it fun and unpredictable.
I didn't say it shouldn't be random. I said it should be random within certain bounds. It should be random in a way where it's physicaly possible to react to the random change.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:45 PM   #18
GaDDeN
Map Dev *********

Respected User

Submissions (3)

GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)

Approved Map: EliminationApproved Map: Stand of the PeonsApproved Map: Elimination Tournament

Aray... What the game needs is a balance of randomness and predictability (uhm...). Now its pure random, you have to guess its direction and just run in random directions. If you made the system i suggested (a physics system where the wisps slowly change direction instead of instant) there would be alot random in the game, but you would still be able to predict its movement some time before the change of heading.
GaDDeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:28 PM   #19
ragingspeedhorn
I MUST BREAK YOU

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (10)

ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)

Approved Map: Dodge The Wisp Wheels

Send a message via MSN to ragingspeedhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
You did not fix all the problems I mentioned. Below are the ones you missed, and some new ones.
  • You can kick players who are not in the game, and you can kick players who you already kicked.
  • Kicking a player does not remove their unit.
  • Kick still uses player 1 red, it should use the host as found at the map start.
  • Do not make the units heroes, since they are automatically selected the hero icon just gets in the way. Also this will remove the ‘Your hero has fallen’ messages, which get in the way too.
  • You need to update the quest log, it still referes to Player 1 Red rather than the host.

Ah, stupid kicking, I will remove that, not really needed anyways. Also the quest log I will update and remove the hero has fallen text.

@Anitarf - I forgot what your suggestion on how to make it so you noticed the wisp changing direction was, please repost this and I will see what I can do, maybe it is not doable with the way I made my wheels, I dont know.

EDIT: repost was a wrong word, I meant re-tell what you told me on battlenet, I forgot.

Last edited by ragingspeedhorn : 06-07-2006 at 07:37 PM.
ragingspeedhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:45 PM   #20
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Well, I couldn't open the map with my editor, so I don't know how your triggers work right now. I can see that you pick every few seconds a new random point and send your center wisp towards it. Now I don't know if you order it to move there or if you move it by small fractions with a periodic trigger.

In the second case, it's simple. When you start moving it, you have to calculate what those fractions by which you move the wheel are; what x and y distance it has to travel in one periodic trigger run. Instead of starting moving it with that speed right away, you would change it's speed more gradualy until it reached that value.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:28 PM   #21
ragingspeedhorn
I MUST BREAK YOU

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (10)

ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)

Okay, well I had another idea aswell, what if I placed some sort of mark where the center wisp are heading towards? That mark changes each time the wheel heads for a new point ofcourse, so that way you can see where the wheel is going.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:52 AM   #22
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Sounds good, provided that the mark appears there at least about half a second before the wisps change direction.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:07 AM   #23
ragingspeedhorn
I MUST BREAK YOU

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (10)

Okay, that could be done with a simple wait action before ordering the wisp to move :)

EDIT: I tried it and it didnt work as well as hoped, I will try to see if I can do your other suggestion with the speed increase but I am not sure if that will be good either, hopefully it will, I will try it atleast.

Last edited by ragingspeedhorn : 06-08-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:39 PM   #24
Aray
Concepter & Writer

Aray will become famous soon enough (44)Aray will become famous soon enough (44)

Quote:
Aray... What the game needs is a balance of randomness and predictability (uhm...). Now its pure random, you have to guess its direction and just run in random directions. If you made the system i suggested (a physics system where the wisps slowly change direction instead of instant) there would be alot random in the game, but you would still be able to predict its movement some time before the change of heading.
- Well yes. "Random" yet predictable incidents are great.

It might not fit in here, but I would just like to name a little example of predictable randomness: Tetris! :) What blocks you get is completely random, but at least as you are placing one block, you see what the one next block will be.

Completely irrelevant? ^^
Aray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:03 AM   #25
GaDDeN
Map Dev *********

Respected User

Submissions (3)

GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)

Approved Map: EliminationApproved Map: Stand of the PeonsApproved Map: Elimination Tournament

Raging... Your just lazy and you know it :)

Well it could be that you dont have the experience needed to make it, but the movement i've (and ani appearently) been talking about all the time is clearly alot better than the current one! :)
GaDDeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #26
ragingspeedhorn
I MUST BREAK YOU

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (10)

The thing is I am not sure if I can do that without having to remake each of my wheels. I will try but still not sure.

Last edited by ragingspeedhorn : 06-09-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:11 PM   #27
Tim.
Missing You All at Wc3c

Site Owner

Submissions (18)

Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)

Approved Map: PiratesSpell making session 3 winner

Do we have an update ready, or should I move this to Map/Campaign Projects?

Avast! Seen Pirates? Get it here!
Tim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:54 PM   #28
ragingspeedhorn
I MUST BREAK YOU

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (10)

An update is being worked on, I am just having some trouble with that move stuff, hopefully I will get it fixed soon or get someone to help me with it.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:23 AM   #29
Taur
#8 in posting (nolifeftw)

Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)

aww sorry I couldnt make any of those fancy additions u wanted raging, hope it gets approved anyways. I'd help, if you gave me like... dunno a week or something, I have exams now

Last edited by Taur : 06-15-2006 at 01:23 AM.
Taur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #30
ragingspeedhorn
I MUST BREAK YOU

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taur
aww sorry I couldnt make any of those fancy additions u wanted raging, hope it gets approved anyways. I'd help, if you gave me like... dunno a week or something, I have exams now

Sure thing Taur, would be really nice if you could help out, having to wait a week aint that big a problem