wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Stories / Writing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 10-21-2008, 04:28 AM   #31
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDino
Your second example is horrendously overwritten and is, as a consequence, almost impossible to read through from start to finish.

My quick rewrite:

Notice i've trimmed a lot of your wasted prose: more description (i.e. adjectives and adverbs) is not always better.
~Already addressed, methinks~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tide-Arc Ephemera
Despite what they teach in schools, this is true... I don't understand why they teach to overwrite with adjectives as opposed to getting straight to the point.
I think they stress "filling X number of pages" in school, which gets translated to (among other things) pontificating endlessly and over-adjectivizing. (Yes, I know, that's not a word. But the English Language is my friend; we razz each other here and there. :P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwulfv
basically, for the [b]tl;dr,[/B...

Also, I'm noticing Kyrbi, that you're basically taking what people are saying and plugging it into a thesaurus. Your first example is literally a re-write of what he said with different words but meaning the same thing. That does not necessarily mean better writing. Example:

The second is longer and fancier, but it says the same exact thing with too much fluff. It just gets... tiring. It sounds too much like "epic" literature and poetry; like you're TRYING to sound fancy. A good balance between the two is needed; something like this.

See how it sort of incorporates both sentences, while still being both (semi)sophisticated and easy to read?
1. What does "tl;dr" stand for? I consider myself quasi-knowledgeable about many Internet memes and l33t speak, but I am as of yet unfamiliar with this one.

2. "Plugging it into my head". Fix'd. :P

3. Hmm... While I agree that, ultimately, if you just add adjectives and stuff, it's = lame-sauce. However, I also went to the trouble to reword whole portions and un-contort the grammar. Removed unfamiliar phraseology. Etc. Personally, (sorry to toot my own horn), I think I made it read more pleasingly and sound "better".
i.e. Took a "Frankenstein" and made an "Automaton". (bad example)...

Ok, real example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original
The dog and the boy who owned him, running along to each the other, had the driping sweat off his widows-peak. Which landed on the ground, making memaries of him being passing through there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reworked
The dog's tongue lolled out of his mouth, reminding his owner of a fresh-chewed bubblegum. Or cotton candy. Or... Bah, all this thinking of food. He was starving and sweltering; his thick cotton shirt sticking wetly to his empty stomach. He slowly wiped a thick layer of perspiration off his soiled brow, only to have it return seconds later. Curse the humidity! Having lived his whole life in a southern state, he was unfamiliar with this 'wet heat'.
His dog's expression was one of friendship and lack-wit. However, it suddenly reminded him why he was running through the heat and humidity in the first place, and he began to lope off again. His dog obediently followed, both trailed by drops of sweat; the only reminder of their passage.

Ok, that was a little 'over-the-top'. :P
But I took the crazy grammar/spelling, fixed that, gave some of the "empty" nouns some nice adjectives, then (took the liberty to) add character and reason to the paragraph; gave the boy (and dog, to some extent) personality.

If I must be succint:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Un-Reworked
The young boy loped along the dusty plains with his dog, glad for the company. In the intense heat, sweat dripped from his forehead and spattered into the dust at his boots, a singular testament to their passing.
There. Short enough? Most of the same comments = re-applied.

4. Well, quite frankly, it's Warcraft. What I am offering here (in this topic) is generally supposed be a lot like "epic poetry", with "flowery terms" and such. I mean, think of the flavor text for a hero in a generic AoS (or ToB/DoE/AotZ, most definitely not generic :P). Those are long and flowy, and sound pretty epic/poetic to me.

However, in other forms of writing, this isn't what we're shooting for. And you're right. In fact, I lay no claim to a universal writing ability (I've been told I write well, but hey, your family says a lot of things about you. :P). I look at authors like Orson Scott Card, Terry Brooks/Goodkind, or countless others and just stare in awe. They just write so well! And the way they write is so intriguing and engaging!
So yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark One
Karbio, I've sent you a sample of my work, try to rewrite it your way and PM me the result.
Contrary to popular belief, my username is "Kyrbi0". But don't worry, it's not like it's written on the thread your posting in, or anything... :P
Yeah, I'm gonna send my Avatar to eat your babiez. And your soul.

(j/k, it's alright. ;P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter of Shadows
...yes mr kirby is a good writer...
Aww, you're making me blush. :P
But yes, I agree; different writers have very different styles. As long as the spelling/grammar/phraseologies are intact, there's no "wrong answer".

Quote:
but inserting 5 paragraphs of description where only 1 is necessary does NOT make it more "artistic".
No, but it makes it more "now I can get a passing grade on this essay". :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rao Dao Zao
See, I'm interested in this because I'm writing something myself right now.

I keep thinking, "I've got to go back and add more fluff."

But when I try to do that, it just doesn't feel right; it doesn't seem to fit at all.

So what's worse; mechanically follow the plot or mechanically shove in tons of bonus words?
I dunno. Post it here for us/me to see! (unless it's so-awexome-it-will-burn-our-eyes-and-minds-just-to-comprehend-it kind of writing. :P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tide-Arc Ephemera
But all I know is people read them in interest, not to analyze them!
What about book critics?
:D :D :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitedstar
You can offer suggestions and such, but please don't completely edit something without the author's permission.
Bagh, only 23 metres., I don't mind. While I do dislike posting stuff and not getting credited for it (mainly ideas), and can understand the plagiarism problem... Meh, I'm cool with it. In fact, I'm (usually) interested to see in what direction other people take my stuff. Kinda like running a simple sentence through a translator 20+ times and seeing what comes out. :P (wait, wasn't that in the Off-Topic forum...)

Quote:
As for how this thread exploded, I meant to address that, when I checked it and seen how it had become an arguement about literature I was irritated and meant to tell people to get the heck back on topic, either request writing, or get out. Let's not discuss what good writing is.
Needless to say, from this point on, either request some writing, discuss what was created, or get out.
I object! If anything, I'm excited that one of my topics has gotten this much attention; moreover, I was able to inject just a bit of life into the zombified Story/Writing forum. :P

Also, (like my "Thunder Lord skillset!" thread), I'm all for taking up pages with debate quasi-related to the topic's subject in the most abstract of ways; it's kinda fun. And interesting, to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark One
...I consider writing to be one of the most difficult arts, and I am not preaching, I am stating my opinion like every body else...

Ignitedstar said everything else I wanted to say and saved me the trouble of writing it, thank you Ignited.

Kyrbio, how is your paper work going (did you finish it? Or are you stalling around it?), I am waiting for the result of the sample I've sent you, but don't press your self for it, PM it whenever it's done.
1. I consider (good) model-making and/or advanced JASS programming to be one the most difficult arts (in Wc3 modding). It's all a matter of perspective.

2. Sure, you're stating your opinion. But people (almost everyone) has a tendency to say things like "you must all be morons if you don't..." or "I can't believe anyone who doesn't think ...". Stuff like "you must be bad at language comprehension", etc.
(NOT saying you or anyone else said anything specifically like that, just making examples)
That's the kind of thing that, while it puts your opinion out there (alright), it makes everyone else look bad for having other opinions.
(tooting my own horn, again, but) I always try hard not to be inflammatory. I use general terms (because there's always the one or two who don't apply), and try to "post" non-confrontationally. Unless someone ticks me off with stupidity. :P

3. Yes, thanks from me, too. Saved me a lot of time. :P

4. Yes, I'm stalling. Yes, I hate you and will never finish it. In fact, I think I'll save my only copy (copy/pasted to a Notepad) to a CD, microwave it, crush it to splinters, and scatter the dust across the world's oceans. Then I'll take my internet connection and unravel it cord by cord, then surgically insert it into the brains of newborn babies across the world. Then I'll ritually blind/deafen myself, so I can never encounter your text on the Internet (nor in any other way/shape/form), ever again.

No, I'm just busy. xD

~~~
~~~
~~~

Well, thanks all for the many comments... For those who've submitted requests, I *hope* to be getting to them sometime in the foreseeable future... Anytime between now and the Second Coming (do a search on www.lds.org if you're not familiar with that term). Yep, definitely before then. :P

Oh yeah, and ~OFF-TOPIC ALERT~ be on the lookout for the next Neutral Hero Addition! It's a Goblin, which 99.999% of the Wc3C population loves! (that's right, you know who you are...)
/end-shameless-plug
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:43 AM   #32
darkwulfv
Alpha Male of Wc3c

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (6)

darkwulfv is just really nice (270)darkwulfv is just really nice (270)

Send a message via AIM to darkwulfv

tl;dr = Too long, didn't read. (basically it means "The summary of this crap is:")

Quote:
Ok, real example:
Bad example. You took what I said and added so much unnecessary fluff. The boy isn't supposed to have character, he just is. You don't take a sentence and add 10 more because you want "character". And really, you just made the kid hungry and sweaty. And dogs can't sweat.

The shorter one is better, although "singular testament" is a bullshit term. You're going over-the-top.

Quote:
"now I can get a passing grade on this essay".
Lol, not at my school. My teacher will, quite literally, hand it back and say "This was shit." Fluff isn't acceptable once you reach 9th/10th grade honors.

I've never been a big proponent of fluffy writing. I do it sometimes, but there's got to be a limit, and sadly, more and more people seem to think more fluff == better writing, whereas it's almost always the opposite. The fluff should cushion your writing, not suffocate it in cottony adjectives of death.

Also, attempting to be "descriptive" can drive your sentence/paragraph off course. For example, you're talking about a tree- Oh look, flowers! And hey, a bird! Wait, that bird is near a squirrel who's on another tree- Hey look, more flowers! And another bird!

And so on. Obviously that's exaggerated, but do you my point? You want to describe X, and you end up describing Y, Z, 8, Apple, G, and Q in the process.
a dota like map but with unique stuff
(There was no map attached, and that was all the thread said.)
Spells I've Made

Darkwulfv's Lightning Grapple || Tritanis' Lazy Bolt

darkwulfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:35 PM   #33
Hunter of Shadows
User

Hunter of Shadows is on a distinguished road (13)

Quote:
I object! If anything, I'm excited that one of my topics has gotten this much attention; moreover, I was able to inject just a bit of life into the zombified Story/Writing forum. :P

LOL that's an interesting way of looking at it, I hadn't thought of it that way before, but honestly if you wanna see more writing in this section...

Get in the freakin RP forum lol, it needs new blood to get people like me and Plasma pumped about posting lol.
Hunter of Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:11 AM   #34
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Quote:
And dogs can't sweat.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ORLY.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	37954

Quote:
Lol, not at my school. My teacher will, quite literally, hand it back and say "This was garbage." Fluff isn't acceptable once you reach 9th/10th grade honors.

I've never been a big proponent of fluffy writing. I do it sometimes, but there's got to be a limit, and sadly, more and more people seem to think more fluff == better writing, whereas it's almost always the opposite. The fluff should cushion your writing, not suffocate it in cottony adjectives of death.

Also, attempting to be "descriptive" can drive your sentence/paragraph off course. For example, you're talking about a tree- Oh look, flowers! And hey, a bird! Wait, that bird is near a squirrel who's on another tree- Hey look, more flowers! And another bird!

And so on. Obviously that's exaggerated, but do you my point? You want to describe X, and you end up describing Y, Z, 8, Apple, G, and Q in the process.
Alright, alright. Even though I said "keep up the discussion", I've realized we're going in circles. I made the mistake in posting that specific paragraph as an example. I will attempt to remedy that (although I can't think of anything equally short...)

Let me just say, that the paragraph could only be 'fluffed up'. While yes, that's a lame tactic, let me explain; the assignment was to write a "My Place" essay. A detailed description (5 senses) of a favorite location. I chose a hill in my backyard; some punk chose Hades (Erebus, the Underworld, Heck, etc). The aforementioned punk asked me to spruce it up, and I did.

However, what you must understand, is that the entire thing is just one big adjective-paragraph. So while I agree that "just fluff" is bad, understand that that's all I could do.

Now that that's cleared up (hopefully), I don't want to hear any more "that example is too fluffy and you write wierd" comments, 'K? :P

~~~

Quote:
LOL that's an interesting way of looking at it, I hadn't thought of it that way before, but honestly if you wanna see more writing in this section...

Get in the freakin RP forum lol, it needs new blood to get people like me and Plasma pumped about posting lol.
Well, technically, I don't care. But I don't mind "doing a good turn daily", and I feel bad for Ignitedstar. :P

Roleplaying??
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Old 10-22-2008, 03:24 AM   #35
RenegadeMushroom
User

RenegadeMushroom is on a distinguished road (18)

Sweet writing, Kyrb - I like your version of the boy with his dog :)
RenegadeMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #36
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrbi0
I dunno. Post it here for us/me to see! (unless it's so-awexome-it-will-burn-our-eyes-and-minds-just-to-comprehend-it kind of writing. :P)

a) It's over 14,000 words.
b) I think the opening parts are really clunky and ugly, so you'd all stop reading before it got good.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #37
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

a) Touché
b) Well, be that as it may, I'd probably get stuck and be unable to read on, 'cuz I'd be editing the first part. :P

@The Dark One:
I've finished rewriting your "storyline" entry, and will (hopefully) get to work on your tooltips. Would you like it to stay a PM, or can I post it here?

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 10-22-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #38
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrbi0
a) Touché
b) Well, be that as it may, I'd probably get stuck and be unable to read on, 'cuz I'd be editing the first part. :P

Precisely. I want to create a finished product, not see people like you cocking all over it.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #39
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rao Dao Zao
Precisely. I want to create a finished product, not see people like you cocking all over it.
Alright... No need to turn to insults...
Old 12-31-2008, 10:14 AM   #40
HotClaw
User

HotClaw has a little shameless behaviour in the past (-3)

I really like that you offered to do this. I hate reading badly written hero descriptions and tooltips in maps. If people are going to bother adding that much text to their game, they can at least bother to make it legible. Just getting rid of the spelling and grammar mistakes would be a huge step in the right direction.

I'm sorry if this is resurrecting an old thread or whatever.
HotClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:20 PM   #41
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

No, that's ok. I wish you had some tooltips for me to rewrite/edit, though, instead of just a bump. But that's cool; I appreciate you appreciating me. :P
Old 02-26-2009, 08:56 AM   #42
cosmicat
Probably AFK

cosmicat will become famous soon enough (71)cosmicat will become famous soon enough (71)cosmicat will become famous soon enough (71)

tl;read some.

Ok, so maybe I was kinda sorta lying about getting some sleep instead of joining these forums. But whoa. Your Jungle Troll topic is huge. I've looked over it a bit but I don't want to say anything until I know what's already happened.

And here's my perspective on writing/editing:
The editor is not the author. If your job is "writing," then yes, you can add your own details at your own discretion to improve on the concept. However, editing tooltips and dialogue, IMHO, requires a more hands-off approach. There is a definite market for this sort of thing (the time and effort involved does add up, and lazy people like myself can't be bothered to go fix everything!) Aeroblyctos on the Hive Workshop, for instance, could definitely use this sort of help. He's a brilliant and hardworking mapmaker, and he has (I think) pretty good storyline ideas, but he doesn't speak English very well at all and although all his tooltips and dialogue are understandable at some level there are glaring grammatical mistakes that would make all but the most novice English speakers cringe. Much as I'd love to fix it all for him, I probably don't have the time and he probably wouldn't give me permission anyway. I wouldn't be able to guarantee that I wouldn't simply vanish one day because of all the more immediate real-world events going on.

If my post itself is tl;dr, I will attempt to summarize:
Leave fluff out if you're fixing someone else's writing. It's his/her idea, not yours. Making assumptions about a character or adding in unnecessary information can cause problems.
That said, what Kyrbi0 offers is far from worthless; there are many brilliant mapmakers who simply cannot write very well. Even DotA:A tooltips have glaring grammatical errors that bother me whenever I see them. (Flame all you like about how horrible DotA:A is -- my point was that it is an incredibly popular map produced by a team of professional JASSers and the tooltips still suck.)
cosmicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #43
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Ah, good to see you, cosmicat. :P And yes, I know it's huge. That's why I put links in the first post that link to important bits. (aren't I thoughtful? :P)
Is this the same "cosmicat" as on the Hive?

~On-Topic~
You're exactly right. I wasn't really being clear with my thread title, and as a result I haven't gotten the "business" I intended. Unfortunately, I cannot change the main thread title, but for now, regard it as a ~Spellchecker and Tooltip Thread~, effectively.

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 02-28-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:22 AM   #44
cosmicat
Probably AFK

cosmicat will become famous soon enough (71)cosmicat will become famous soon enough (71)cosmicat will become famous soon enough (71)

Default Yep

Yeah I have an account with the same name on Hive too. I don't use it much, though. I just add comments to maps now and then and pitch in a little advice if I can. I only do a little tinkering with the World Editor myself, though, so I'm far from expert. Then again, every so often I stumble upon something not everyone knows about (remember the Factory ability? )

So, yeah.

BTW is writing really super awexomely well an LDS thing? Because Brandon Sanderson and Orson Scott Card are pretty much my favorite sci-fi writers at the moment.
cosmicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:11 AM   #45
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicat
(remember the Factory ability? )
YES. Holy cow, I've used that all sorts of places. :P Including my Spell Session #14 submission... :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicat
BTW is writing really super awexomely well an LDS thing? Because Brandon Sanderson and Orson Scott Card are pretty much my favorite sci-fi writers at the moment.
YES again.
Hidden information:
No, not really. I've just been trained since birth in the art of the sword, having pored over ancient texts of vocabulary and fought the greatest English majors known to man. xD (I just like words)

--EDIT--
Woot! 1,999th post!

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 02-28-2009 at 04:12 AM.