wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 01-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)

Default Your old map ideas.

I know a lot of you people have good map ideas,
the ones you have carefully developed over the years,
but never had enough time or will to actually finish them.

It usually involves a map genre you were most fond of playing,
and probably started as ideas on how to improve already existing games.

Out with it, no reason to keep them secret any more.
Who knows, maybe writing it all down makes you want to do them now after all,
or ever better someone else finds your ideas so good, they do it for you
Old 01-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohadar
Who knows, maybe writing it all down makes you want to do them now after all,
Ahahaha, good one!
Quote:
or ever better someone else finds your ideas so good, they do it for you
Bwahaha, stop it, you're killing me.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
Bwahaha, stop it, you're killing me.
I know, I laughed myself on that one

Thou seriously people, lets hear some interesting map ideas, just for the sake of fun if nothing else.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
Anopob
Yay!

Anopob has a spectacular aura about (120)

I had a WIP back in the day that I think started out well but just pummeled downwards because the concept was not executed well, at all. So basically, it was a FFA of players in a forest/jungle of some sort. The idea is that each player controls a squad. This squad is extremely vulnerable, but as such, deals extremely high damage (relative to their HP). Since they are so fragile, positioning and vision is extremely important vs other players. The setting was supposed to include tons of trees, hills, perhaps even mountains, bushes, etc. Players were encouraged to constantly roam about, using terrain to their advantage, use scouting abilities, purchase items/more mercenaries for their squads, etc. until other players wiped out.

Pretty much my idea when making this map was fun, quick-paced, action-oriented strategic play by all players. Easy to pick up, hard to master. Since the terrain was varied there would be many different situations taken place, and players were discouraged to "camp" an ideal terrain position because they would not gain anything (while roamers would gain money from kills etc.). Also, random events (weather and such) were supposed to take place to make it even more fun and action packed.
Better Ways of Requesting For Help - Race Contest #2 WIP Thread (Bone Race)
As of December 1st I have my blue rep. Yay :D
Anopob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
2-P
la la la

Terrain Moderator

Submissions (14)

2-P is a glorious beacon of light (425)2-P is a glorious beacon of light (425)2-P is a glorious beacon of light (425)

Bears in space that shoot lasers.
But Panto was one step ahead of me and made dragons in space that shoot lasers
Guy's a fkgn genius, I would have never thought of that.
2-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
PurgeandFire111
User

PurgeandFire111 will become famous soon enough (58)PurgeandFire111 will become famous soon enough (58)

Hmm, I've had tons.

First map I wanted to create was a slide map. That failed because there was no real point to it. You would just slide around with your unit and I thought it looked funny.

Another map was to make a new warchasers. However, I ended up spending all my time making the heroes and making them ridiculously overpowered for solo-play that I didn't end up doing anything else with the map. (I terrained it for 1 day then it remained dormant forever)

Another idea that I had actually thought was decent was to make a map similar to eskimo roll, but it would've been a sort of race/survival mix. That idea was crushed when I had planned on having arrow key movement and realized that it lags insanely in multiplayer.

Several orpgs attempted, didn't finish any of them. Made several cinematics, actually got decently through one in January but then I realized it was starting to look bad, nothing was really happening (I was basing it off of a wc3 book) and I had a lot of annoying dialogue to do. Anitarf released the new cinematic system later and then I became too lazy to change everything.

Along with several other things... For most of them, I had just gotten frustrated because I kept feeling like I had to reinvent all the standard systems. (I've always wanted to allow units to attack while moving, but never got around to doing it)
PurgeandFire111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:22 AM   #7
Kino
User

Submissions (8)

Kino will become famous soon enough (69)Kino will become famous soon enough (69)Kino will become famous soon enough (69)

Ive always to do a strategy map where players have no direct control over their units.
In essence its a castle war, but in order to win one must influence combat by using their spellbringer to buff allied troops and debuff enemies.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

I always wanted to make a DDAY map that was not biased in favor of agility heroes.
But I was smart enough to realize any AoS attempt is doomed to failure, so I just did other stuff.

But frankly ideas of good AoS maps are the most commons I have.
For example an AoS of strictly humans vs undeads (I hate when AoS makes it possible to pick heroes from both sides)
I even wrote down all heroes and spell combos for this one.

Then I though an AoS with only INT heroes would be a great thing.
And why not, if only I could get magics to interact like crazy.

There are maps with attempts on magic interaction with buff systems (DoE for example),
but buff interaction just is not enough.
I always imagined stuff like: force wall, bounces enemy projectile spells back (fireballs and such)

And my most favorite one:
An AoS where all heroes are INT and summoners, a pet wars, yay!
Old 01-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

I attempted several times to make some kind of sim space-colony, where you built oil wells on top of oil patches and mines on top of ore patches and collected resources, which you could then sell to get money to build more stuff and stuff.

Never really got further than that.

All my other ideas have been singleplayer RPGs. How terribly unsurprising.

Last edited by Rao Dao Zao : 01-21-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Rao Dao Zao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
deolrin
Tas'dingo!

Submissions (13)

deolrin is a jewel in the rough (167)deolrin is a jewel in the rough (167)

Send a message via MSN to deolrin

Altered melees. Lots and lots of altered melees. ._.

Oh, and also, a campaign about centaurs. And a map in which a peon and a peasant compete to get the most gold, while interrupting each-other with spells and defending against creeps.

~Gladiator, Sacred

Last edited by deolrin : 01-21-2012 at 03:41 PM.
deolrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:53 AM   #11
Here-b-Trollz
Corkscrew Chainsaw!!!

Here-b-Trollz has a spectacular aura about (149)

Hero Contest #2 - 2nd Place

My friend and I were working on a map called Vigil's End. The concept essentially boils down to a hero arena: Orcs v.s. Night Elves. There were four heroes on each team (the original ladder heroes) with fully custom skillsets centered around aiming/being interesting to use, including these cool/gimmicky limit-break ultimates that you had to charge up kills to use but basically destroy everything (the Far-Seer's ultimate was Stormcaller; it gave you full LoS of the map for 30 seconds and let you call down lightning bolts anywhere to deal massive AoE damage).

I also tried my hand several times at singleplayer RPGs but I always plot-failed after the really cool introduction.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:31 AM   #12
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

The only arena concept I ever thought playable was mirror arena.

Two sides (probably 3vs3) get same 3 heroes on each side.

At round 1 all heroes are level 1
At round 2 all heroes are level 2

All items are perishable,
all players get same amount of gold at beginning of round,
all items disappear at end of round and gold is reset.

A perfectly balanced game.
The only vining factor would be players skill.
And if both sides were good enough it could even end up with all heroes dead - a draw game. (I would put a lot of dot spells and other spells with delayed damage to make a draw game even more possible)
Basically in equal player skill game winner would survive with 1-5% of his health left,
and every round would be undecided till the very end.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Bribe
User

Submissions (1)

Bribe will become famous soon enough (30)Bribe will become famous soon enough (30)

Send a message via AIM to Bribe

Almost finished with my update to WarChasers 2. The original version was written when I had only noobish GUI experience, new version will have expert delegation and thus hugely diminished file size.
Bribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
deolrin
Tas'dingo!

Submissions (13)

deolrin is a jewel in the rough (167)deolrin is a jewel in the rough (167)

Send a message via MSN to deolrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bribe
Almost finished with my update to WarChasers 2. The original version was written when I had only noobish GUI experience, new version will have expert delegation and thus hugely diminished file size.

Wait, YOU made that map? Seriously?
That is so awesome. After playing Blizzard's WarChasers, me and my friend found out that I had WarChasers 2 on my HDD. We played it and enjoyed it, though we didn't finish it, sadly. (Disconnections and stuff like that.)
Either way, it was evident that the map was fan-made(not a bad thing at all), and we loved it, but I had no idea that YOU made it, Bribe! So there's something I learned today. ^^

I think I was playing with a... Tauren? Possibly? I'm not sure. My friend was playing with a healer, or some kind of a ranger\archer, possibly both?

~Gladiator, Sacred
deolrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #15
Bribe
User

Submissions (1)

Bribe will become famous soon enough (30)Bribe will become famous soon enough (30)

Send a message via AIM to Bribe

Judging by you remembering a "Tauren" hero, I think we are referring to a different WarChasers 2 map. I have seen a few different ones on EpicWar, I don't think this awesome memory of yours is of my doing ;)

My (non-updated) map is uploaded here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/m...geance-147306/
Bribe is offline   Reply With Quote