wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 04-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #16
TheKid
User

TheKid will become famous soon enough (37)TheKid will become famous soon enough (37)

You came to my thread, and I'm the one harassing you? Just leave then stop replying here you don't offer anything to this thread anyways.

I'm curious, Ammorth/Anitarf, did you guys play the test-map? I'm curious as to the number of projectiles that you could get (with/without unit collision) before lag started really picking up?

Last edited by TheKid : 04-19-2010 at 05:05 PM.
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #17
Ammorth
I blink, therefore I am.

Submissions (10)

Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachron
You are just harassing, so I won't reply to you any longer.

From wikipedia: In the legal sense, it is behaviour which is found threatening or disturbing.

I can't honestly think TheKid made you feel threatened or disturbed you in any way. Harassment usually stems from threatenning comments about a persons well-being or attacks designed to inflict mental trama.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #18
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Anachron, your system is a bloated abomination. TheKid, You unfortunately seem to be going in the same direction.

Stuff like xyarc is entirely superflous. If a user wants a spell to behave this way, they can just code it themselves or base it on an existing arc spell. There is no need for the attacks of every unit on the map to be slowed down because two spells use a fancy projectile motion. More importantly, there is no need to make the system an unreadable and unmaintainable mess. With all the possibilities for modularization that vJass offers, there is no need to go back to writing such CSesque systems.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #19
TheKid
User

TheKid will become famous soon enough (37)TheKid will become famous soon enough (37)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
TheKid, You unfortunately seem to be going in the same direction.

Could you expand on all the "features" that you find bloated?

Quote:
If a user wants a spell to behave this way, they can just code it themselves or base it on an existing arc spell.

Simply using a spell such as Acid Bomb that already has a missile is an appropriate method to handle this sort of thing in lots of situations, especially if your game is going to be bogged down by projectiles.

When I made this it was for a smaller scale map, with less projectiles in mind, though I made compromises all the way through so that the amount of projectiles could be maximized. With my mac-book pro I was able to run over 350 projectiles with unit-collision (over a mildly populated area) and that satisfied me in what I was trying to accomplish.

The only real benefit to using projectiles is the ability to create the effect of a projectile with code, along with the ability to modify certain traits of the projectile during it's flight, such as slowing it down in mid-air and "breaking" homing spells or whatever you can think of. The possibilities are obviously limited, but some people may want this kind of control.

Quote:
There is no need for the attacks of every unit on the map to be slowed down because two spells use a fancy projectile motion

Not at all, but that's not what I aimed for here. It really doesn't matter how many units you have in your map, but how many attacks would ever be present at the same time. The performance issues with 350 projectiles on the same screen extend beyond the speed of the code, so obviously the more spread out the projectiles are the less performance will be lost.

Quote:
More importantly, there is no need to make the system an unreadable and unmaintainable mess.

I don't find my code hard to maintain, it is documented well. If you have suggestions as to what I could add/change/remove I am open to hear them. I use an interface at the top of the code to outline what methods users can use on their end, and organize the code so that it is easy to navigate. The idea of modularity for projectiles is rather unnecessary, it's like adding modularity to a system like Dusk's knock-back.

Updates

I fixed the problem with eliminating the arc motion when a projectile's target moved.

Last edited by TheKid : 04-19-2010 at 11:29 PM.
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:38 AM   #20
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKid
Could you expand on all the "features" that you find bloated?
I already gave an example in my previous post: xy arc. Anachron has it and you were talking about implementing it.

Quote:
Simply using a spell such as Acid Bomb
No, I said xy arc, not z arc.

Quote:
The idea of modularity for projectiles is rather unnecessary, it's like adding modularity to a system like Dusk's knock-back.
Sure, why not? Modularity for projectiles makes a lot of sense. You can have different engines for different types of projectile movement, making each of them optimal for that type of projectiles and easy to use with a limited feature set. Take xe for example: it currently has only a single engine for wave/cone type spells (xecollider), but it could easily be expanded to cover any number of projectile types with additional engines.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #21
TheKid
User

Quote:
I already gave an example in my previous post: xy arc.

I am still serious about implementing this, users should be able to give x/y arc to projectiles so that two projectiles created with the same source/target may not necessary over-lap each other, useful for certain types of spells.

Quote:
No, I said xy arc, not z arc.

Quote:
they can just code it themselves or base it on an existing arc spell.

What kind of existing spell has x/y arc in WarCraft III?

Quote:
Take xe for example: it currently has only a single engine for wave/cone type spells (xecollider), but it could easily be expanded to cover any number of projectile types with additional engines.

I would never use XE for projectiles, first of all, not only does this out-perform the projectiles from xecollider but there is no use in giving the users the ultimate freedom in being able to set their arc and shit because these kinds of values are nothing but fields. The mechanics behind how the projectile simulates it's flight remain the same no matter what type of projectile you are using, and all of the functionality is included in this library.

Either way, I think that the user being able to extend the struct projectile and re-declare the interface methods gives the user enough control to do whatever it is they want while still maintaining the necessities of the system. There are only a handful of active features such as activeTargetFollow and activeUnitCollision and since this extends to what I consider a complete list of necessary projectile "responses" I really find no point in taking them away so that the user can code them himself.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:22 PM
linkmaster23
This message has been deleted by Anitarf. Reason: Weird random post?