wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > 2D Art Tutorials (Skinning)
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 04-08-2006, 06:53 PM   #1
TDR
♪♫

Modeling & Gallery Moderator

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

Default Blending colors without smudge

This here is a video tutorial (with speed doubled so you won't get exageratly bored; it's quicktime mov format) wich illustrates how to blend colors without using the crapy smudge. It can be used for both painting and textures. This was done in Adobe Photoshop CS2, but it works with all older photoshop versions and with Corel Painter and I think also with Gimp and Paint Shop Pro.

Download link (8MB zip file): http://www.wc3campaigns.net/tdr/smudgesucks.zip

The basic concept is: paint a stroke, then to blend pick the color near the stroke (using the eyedropper; deafult hotkey is Alt, at least in Photoshop and Painter) you just drew and paint with that color inbetween and so on. I use a standard hard edge brush, normal mode, with 20% opacity and 25% spacing and a mouse, although I do have a tablet, but I didn't touch it for this tutorial.

I attached a pic with the result and anoher sample (not featured in the video). It's just a blob, I only show you how do blend them colors. I picked random colors.

Here's a description of the steps I did:
  1. I draw a shitty contour
  2. Using a brush set to multiply I sploosh around some dark background for the blob
  3. Set the brush to the setings I mentioned later
  4. I define the highlight
  5. Define the shadow
  6. Add some more wacky colors and blend them with alt+click and so on. By the way, with the mouse I click continuously, I don't use long strokes. Just click click click click.....
  7. If you want white around the thing, well...paint with white around it. But never use white backgrounds.
  8. It's done. You can add a sharpen filter if you want. Actualy I recomend doing that, it clears the blurrines. I do that a lot. But only sharpen, don't let me see other ducks (photoshop nasty filters) in your paintings!

OK, now don't let me catch you using smudge again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smudgesucks.jpg (39.7 KB, 1017 views)
File Type: jpg smudgesucks2.jpg (32.7 KB, 798 views)
Old 04-09-2006, 12:33 AM   #2
Chriz.
Vast Graphics Animator

Project Leader: WotTH

Submissions (17)

Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)

Hero Contest #2 - 2nd PlaceSkinning Competetion #3 - Elementals

Great tutorial, although maybe you could post one that is also at normal speed so we can see what tools you are using at the certain times? Or settings and such. Anyway, I won't ever think of using smudge again.

Last edited by Chriz. : 10-23-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Chriz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:42 AM   #3
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

As I said, I don't use any other tool than the standard brush set to 20% opacity and 25% spacing. I already mentioned all the stuff I do.

oh, and here's a short video (avi) wich illustrates what smudge and blur is and how are they different (in case you don't know)
Attached Files
File Type: zip smudgenblury.zip (152.0 KB, 134 views)
Old 04-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #4
HatewarE
Untrve Swamplord

Submissions (5)

HatewarE will become famous soon enough (52)HatewarE will become famous soon enough (52)

Send a message via ICQ to HatewarE Send a message via MSN to HatewarE

that second video doesn't work. At least for me... neither in DivX nor mediaplayer10. whatever

The actual tutroail is nice. Gotta try that technique out right now.

woho, started new map project... haven't thought I would touch the WE ever again...
HatewarE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

the smudgenblury uses divix 3 codec, dunno why you can't get it working. mabye you downloaded the older one, I updated it today with a smaller (in kb means) one.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
Candy_Warlock
Hottie

Submissions (3)

Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)

Concept art session 2 - Battledroids

What's the diff between blending with a normal brush and a brush set at multiply?
Old 04-09-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

I don't blend with a brush set to multiply. With the multiply brush I just paint the background.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:06 PM   #8
Chriz.
Vast Graphics Animator

Submissions (17)

Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)

Well here's my attempt at following your tutorial, I think it came out pretty good. I like the style you use , it comes out real good looking.
Attached Images
File Type: png TDRtry.png (37.5 KB, 285 views)

Last edited by Chriz. : 04-09-2006 at 07:11 PM.
Chriz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:23 PM   #9
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

it's good, but...it's kinda blurry. are you sure you used the regular hard-edge brush? or you used that soft brush?
Old 04-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
Chriz.
Vast Graphics Animator

Submissions (17)

Hmm, well I used the normal brush because I couldnt find any other setting. Im using photoshop 7.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:45 PM   #11
Candy_Warlock
Hottie

Submissions (3)

Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)

Concept art session 2 - Battledroids

So why a multply brush for the background instead of a normal one? :D
Old 04-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #12
Chriz.
Vast Graphics Animator

Submissions (17)

It seemed that the multiply brush allowed me to color behind the black line, but maybe Im wrong.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:11 PM   #13
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy_Warlock
So why a multply brush for the background instead of a normal one? :D
because that's what I saw somewhere else :P. and 'guess that if you overlay multiple colors with multiply mode, you get a good dark background to paint on.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:53 PM   #14
HatewarE
Untrve Swamplord

Submissions (5)

HatewarE will become famous soon enough (52)HatewarE will become famous soon enough (52)

Send a message via ICQ to HatewarE Send a message via MSN to HatewarE

my try... I had issues with the highlight xD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smudgereallysucks.jpg (13.5 KB, 210 views)

woho, started new map project... haven't thought I would touch the WE ever again...
HatewarE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:28 PM   #15
Tim.
Missing You All at Wc3c

Site Owner

Submissions (18)

Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)

Approved Map: PiratesSpell making session 3 winner

This can be approved.

Avast! Seen Pirates? Get it here!
Tim. is offline   Reply With Quote