wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Artist's Discussion and Queries
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 12:31 PM   #16
NinjaJonezu
User

NinjaJonezu has little to show at this moment (0)

Hey...

You animate it for me and il give you rep and tell my friends to give you rep too...
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 10-27-2004, 01:23 PM   #17
Windrunner
User

Windrunner is on a distinguished road (10)

i will, but this is the first time i do something like this, and armel is going to explain it to me.
so after that ill animate it.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:35 PM   #18
Armel
User

Submissions (1)

Armel will become famous soon enough (27)

Here comes my tutorial! Beware, it's quite long.

First, you're lucky, I already had an alien drone (normal alien) model made from the ghoul, using it as a base will be easier. But you'll have to give credit to the guy who made it (don't remember his name, but I think the model is in the dl section).

OK, let me detail a little more what you have to do:
First, you'll need to open the drone's geoset in Notepad and remove all the textures and materials. In the second geoset, destroy everything from "Vertices" to the "}" before the "Groups" section. Then copy the matrix (or matrices, but I think it only uses one matrix) of the first geoset on another notepad document and destroy the first geoset completely.
Now also destroy the geosetanim that was used by this geoset. Search for "GeosetId" and "GeosetAnimId", and each time you find a geosetid that refers to geosetid 0 replace the Id number with "Multiple". Each time you find a geosetanimid with an Id number equal to the one of the geosetanim used by geosetid 0, replace the Id number with None.

Now that this is done, look at the matrices you've copied in another file, and add the ones that are not already present in the matrices list of the first geoset to this geoset's matrices list. Add the number of matrices you had to add to the first number before "Groups", add the number of numbers within the added matrices that were not already used at least once in the first geoset's matrices to the second number before "Groups". (Since there should only be one matrix with a single bone in it, this part should in fact be quite simple)

OK, first part is done. What you have done here is destroy all the geometry used by the first model, but you've kept its matrices, so you'll be able to use them for the queen.

Now open the drone model in vertex modify, go to view, and use "add marker at selection" to add a marker at the very feet and one at the head's top of the drone. Then open the queen , and move and rescale it so it is correctly placed between the two markers on the three screens. Save as queen2.

I suppose the queen only has one geoset. Tell me if she has more and I'll tell you what to do. Open the queen2 mdl in notepad and copy the textures and materials sections to the drone mdl. Also copy in the queen's geoset everything from "Vertices" to the "}" before the "Groups" section, and place it in the corresponding place in the remaining geoset of the drone. Set this geoset's MaterialId so it is the same as the queen's geoset one's. Save as queen3

Once this is done, you have replaced the drone's geometry with the queen's one. But you still have to reanimate it:

Launch two different vertex modify sessions. Open with the first one the unmodified drone model (second geoset), with the second one the queen3 model.
In the drone model, go to "tools", "select by vertexgroups", and choose vertexgroup 0. The selected vertices (points) will appear in red. Go to the queen3 model. Select the parts of the queen's body that correspond the best to the parts selected in the drone model, go to "tools", "assign vertexgroup", and set it to 0. Go to the drone, deselect the selected vertices, and do the same, but for vertexgroup 1. Then do it for each vertexgroup, one by one.
Select the head, and either set its vertexgroup to the one used by the upper neck (if the matrix used by the drone's second geoset, ie its head, was present among the first geoset's matrices) or set it to the last vertexgroup (if you had to add the drone's second geoset's matrix to the first geoset's matrices).
(Once this is done, there might be problems if you have forgotten to set some vertices correctly, see which vertices look wrong and give them the vertexgroup of the vertices you think they should move like).

In this last part you have made the queen3 geoset use correctly the bones: each vertex knows what bone combination (matrix, or vertexgroup, both are almost synonyms) will determine the way it moves. Save and convert to mdl to look if everything went OK.
All the way, be very cautious not to make syntax mistakes (comas, spaces...)! Since it is quite complex, if you ever get a problem once everything is done, send me the mdl and I should be able to fix it.

EDIT: forgot to attach the alien model.

Last edited by Armel : 11-02-2004 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:07 PM   #19
Windrunner
User

this is weird, i cant get the alien. there is nothing in the file. and it wont let me unzip it either. ill have to look into it.

btw, ninja plz send the alien queen.

EDIT: what do i have to do with the alien.rar?
if i name it alien.mdl i cant open it in vertex modify.
and when i open it in notepad i get all these weird signs. nothing like normal mdl.

Last edited by Windrunner : 10-27-2004 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:18 PM   #20
Armel
User

Submissions (1)

It's a rar file, you'd need winrar (free, better than winzip) to open it. Here is a zip:
Old 10-27-2004, 05:45 PM   #21
Windrunner
User

i think i did something wrong with when i removed all the textures and materials.
could you take look at it and tell me whats wrong?
and i also dont know what matrix and ices are.

EDIT: forgot pic.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:19 PM   #22
Armel
User

Submissions (1)

What I meant is completely destroy these two sections (from "Textures 2 {" to "}", and from "Materials 2 {" to "}"), then replace them with the corresponding parts of the queen's model.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:54 AM   #23
NinjaJonezu
User

Hmm... Dont know how to convert it to mdx from milkshape
Old 10-28-2004, 05:58 AM   #24
Armel
User

Submissions (1)

There are tutorials here or at theHubb.com, I don't know how this can be done either.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:23 AM   #25
NinjaJonezu
User

Ok I got it converted to mdx ... You have to make it mdl to edit it with notepad ?
... It has no skin yet cause im no good skinner...
Here it is... ^_^

I hope it will work ^_^
Old 10-28-2004, 10:38 AM   #26
Windrunner
User

to armel: ok, i should delete these parts, then open alienqueen.mdl and copy her textures and materials into the part i deleted. am i right?

to ninja: whoa, what a model! how many polys is it? and why does it has a weird skin? citystructures?
Old 10-28-2004, 11:33 AM   #27
Armel
User

Submissions (1)

Yeah, it's what you should do. It's just because you wont need the alien's textures and the materials that tell the model how to use them, so just delete them and replace them with the final model's corresponding parts.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:38 PM   #28
NinjaJonezu
User

You are saying its a good model ? :(
That is something I did in 6 hours ^_^
I have something else in line too...
Old 10-28-2004, 02:06 PM   #29
NinjaJonezu
User

I made this new model today... Just finished ^_^
Old 10-28-2004, 02:32 PM   #30
Armel
User

Submissions (1)

Very good. Try to give it a shape that would be easier to animate (straight tail, very symetric position...).
It' funny to see how it is wrapped. Does he have a perforing tongue?

BTW, since you seem to intend to make an alien mod, why don't you contact the team making an AvP mod. I think they are on another forum, can't remember it's name, do a search on Google, they could help you and need your help too.
Closed Thread