wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 07-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #16
chobibo
100% Genuine Retard!

chobibo has a spectacular aura about (101)chobibo has a spectacular aura about (101)chobibo has a spectacular aura about (101)chobibo has a spectacular aura about (101)

Send a message via Yahoo to chobibo

Quote:
Or can't you have a long incredibly complicated functions that put all (or some) of the coordinates that exist in a circle in a array. After that it will randomize an index and take those coordinates. Get my idea? Or maybe it's just stupid. I just feel unsafe with the possibility of so many runs in a loop for just a random point...

That would be inefficient, it would take a lot of memory and a lot of processing power.

Last edited by chobibo : 07-25-2009 at 07:47 PM.
chobibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 07-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #17
ploks
User

ploks has little to show at this moment (6)

Doesn't that function still give an uneven distribution. The distance between the imagined lines (one per degree) is longer the farther out you come from the middle. (like a sun)

I believe that a loop is the only way. (create a square with the side 2r, randomize a point in square, check if distance between point and centre is <=r, if not repeat with new point)
ploks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #18
Cheezeman
User

Cheezeman has little to show at this moment (1)

Flame_Phoenix once showed me this function made by Vexorian:
Collapse JASS:
    //Function made by Vexorian, it selects a random region in a disk.
    //All regions have the same chance of beeing choosen
    function GetRandomPointInDisk takes real centerx, real centery, real minradius, real maxradius returns location
        local real d = SquareRoot(GetRandomReal(minradius * minradius, maxradius * maxradius))
        local real a = GetRandomReal(0, 2 * bj_PI)
        return Location(centerx + d * Cos(a), centery + d * Sin(a))
    endfunction
Maybe it helps?
Old 07-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #19
chobibo
100% Genuine Retard!

chobibo has a spectacular aura about (101)chobibo has a spectacular aura about (101)chobibo has a spectacular aura about (101)chobibo has a spectacular aura about (101)

I think you're right.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #20
ploks
User

Thanks for the answers. Guess I'll go with Vexorians function (even though I don't understand it). The reward Rep rep!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #21
chobibo
100% Genuine Retard!

I also don't know,maybe the formula for the ara of the circle has something to do with this, since it used this formula: valid_r = √random(min_r^2, max_r^2)
Old 07-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #22
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

Quote:
I believe that a loop is the only way. (create a square with the side 2r, randomize a point in square
square root + sin/cos does work.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #23
uberfoop
User

Submissions (1)

uberfoop will become famous soon enough (29)

AI tournament - 2nd place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorian
Indeed. The math works, and a quick distribution chart agrees as well:

Last edited by uberfoop : 07-25-2009 at 10:33 PM.
uberfoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #24
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

That function is the only sensible thing to use, also it is quite short so you can just inline the code so you don't have to deal with locations.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #25
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

Anyway, the probability a random point in the square will be inside the circle is 0.785398164 (3 / pi).

Therefore, the Expected number of tries is:

E = 1 + E*(1 - 0.785398164 )
0.785398164 E = 1
E = 1.273239544

So on average the function needs slightly more than one try to get a point in the circle. So it is not as slow as it might look like, this is interesting, because for more complicated cases, like getting a random point inside two circles which have an intersection, it is probably the only way to do it without going crazy in the process...
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #26
ploks
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorian

I don't doubt that. It just that the math is beyond me since I haven't started with trigonometric functions yet in school. Will do that after the summer break. Thanks for the function anyways :)
Old 07-25-2009, 11:12 PM   #27
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

That's true, although with complicated cases, the smallest rectangle that encompasses your shape might still have a large percentage of it's area outside the shape, which makes it less effecient; that might be a moot point though if there's no other sane way to do it with that kind of shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploks
I don't doubt that. It just that the math is beyond me since I haven't started with trigonometric functions yet in school. Will do that after the summer break. Thanks for the function anyways :)
You can always read up on them ahead of time.

Last edited by Anitarf : 07-25-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #28
ploks
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
You can always read up on them ahead of time.

Doin it already. However I guess a real math teacher combined with the fear of a bad grade will make me learn faster ;)