wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Code Resources > vJass Spells
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 10-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #16
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjlr5
it is very lacking in the calibration department, I agree, it originally was not made to be completely calibrated, just to be used as is, with some general needed changes
But when you submit it as a resource, it has to be easily configured. It doesn't matter what it was "originally intended for," what matters is that you submitted it, and if used by people it needs ease of calibration.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:52 PM   #17
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

I think the bottleneck here is SetUnitPosition, I doubt, inlining the functions would help at all, unless the intention is to make the code less readable.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:31 PM   #18
blu_da_noob
Nonchalant

Respected User

Submissions (2)

blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)

[Quicksilver #2] - 2nd Place[Quicksilver#1] 1st place

Send a message via MSN to blu_da_noob

The function calls certainly aren't serious, but as I said it doesn't help. The two major bottle necks I see are the SetUnitPosition and (although this only happens occassionally) the Start method in the one struct. What happens is that when the missiles reach the top of the spiral, the method is called individually on each of them. However, you clear and group enum once for each of the missiles when they are all at the same point. So you are getting the same group over and over again. It doesn't sound like it should be that serious, but I found myself getting sudden 'freeze-spikes' at that point when I had 10 towers firing. You can fix it with or without inlining that part of the code.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:04 PM   #19
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

They won't be at the same point if he makes the final radius calibratable, though. Anyway, anything that isn't being run on a periodic trigger would have to be orders of magnitude bigger to matter, and that method isn't so critical. At least, I'd prefer more possible calibration for the projectile final positions than more efficiency at that point.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #20
blu_da_noob
Nonchalant

Respected User

Submissions (2)

blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)

[Quicksilver #2] - 2nd Place[Quicksilver#1] 1st place

Send a message via MSN to blu_da_noob

Well as I said I experienced very definite spikes when the missiles reached that point. However when I tested some efficiency things I made a few changes. Perhaps it just coincided with the next round dummies being created for missiles. Mm.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #21
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)

Mapping Contest First Place

Send a message via AIM to emjlr3 Send a message via MSN to emjlr3

worked on this a bit on Monday, should have it finished and uploaded later tonight

*Updated the map and the original post

tested:
With the current missile model:
minimal slowdown with 60 missiles on screen
noticeable slowdown with 80 missiles on screen
very bad slowdown with 100 missiles on screen

With no missile model:
minimal slowdown with 100-120 missiles
noticeable with 120+ missiles, more pronounced around the time of death of the mass of units

Conclusion: half of the lag is sfx based, considering there is roughly 100% less lag with no missile model

*Could a mod change the threads name to Blaze v1.1 , ty

Last edited by emjlr3 : 10-10-2007 at 01:05 AM.
emjlr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:05 PM   #22
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

just a bump, just to make sure the mods know this is updated
when I first posted there were a dozen responses within a few hours, perhaps I am too optimistic

Last edited by emjlr3 : 10-13-2007 at 07:05 PM.
emjlr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #23
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

I don't have the time to do a legit review of this right now, but I do know this exists and will get to it. Promise!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:21 AM   #24
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

bump?? :(
Old 11-15-2007, 04:42 PM   #25
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
I don't have the time to do a legit review of this right now, but I do know this exists and will get to it. Promise!
That's still true! I have a 5 day weekend of reprieve starting this coming tuesday, and I'll get to it then. That's about the best I can guarantee, because I need WC3 to test and load these things and I don't have WC3 where I am for 16 hours a day.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #26
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

- public trigger Trigger = CreateTrigger() Good idea, "middle ground"

- There are constants that I think would have been useful to have in function of level.

- ABU, DEBU , FILT could use more descriptive names

struct Blaze_data2 and struct Blaze_data1 : should use private struct data2 and private struct data1

- In the movement function there is some part in the second loop in which you do enums and stuff to get a new target, in my opinion it would have been better to keep those operations inside the struct as another method.

- It is not exactly damaging random units with nice effects, the code doesn't seem horribly bugged, you are even taking care of the GroupEnum issue that requires a global variable, you are using a single timer and no gamecache / attaching at all, so this spell is good.

It is not JESP, but after adding little things like a good header, the JESP manifest and preferably making the structs belong to the scope it could be JESP. But right now I'll approve it as a non-JESP spell.
Faster != more useful
Old 12-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #27
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

Quote:
But right now I'll approve it as a non-JESP spell.

that is fine, I had no other intentions with this spell
Old 12-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #28
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

I understood that, just saying that you are actually trivial steps away from it, so it could have happened.
Faster != more useful