wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #151
AnemicRoyalty

Texturing Moderator
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (23)

AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)

Skinning Contest #14 WinnerSkinning Contest #15 WinnerHero Contest #2 - 1st Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
We need a baseline.
Sure, we've got lots of options... But how can we justify one over the other? Do a vote? I don't know.. This is what I've been fighting with for awhile.

Easy. We make a fictitious AoS with hypothetical systems and that gives people a framework to build around without the problems of running a contest based around a real map.
AnemicRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #152
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

That also gives them no heroes with which to use as the judging baseline for what is 'good' or 'bad' as a hero for that AoS. Woops. :<
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrbi0
While it may strike everyone as monotonous by now, most of the users here have at least a cursory knowledge of wc3 melee, making it the most likely baseline for any such contest.
Duh! You don't think we know that already, do you? We've only held 3 hero contests in the melee environment for that exact reason. We want to try something else for #4, though. That's the whole reason this discussion exists at all.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #153
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
Duh! You don't think we know that already, do you? We've only held 3 hero contests in the melee environment for that exact reason. We want to try something else for #4, though. That's the whole reason this discussion exists at all.
I know that is known; just stating the support.
Also, I think it's important that "Hero Contest #4 = AoS" not be a foregone conclusion (whether or not it's right).

~~~
In the event that it's already been decided... Well, I would most likely (unfortunately) put my 'vote' towards DotA. It's easily the most well-known, and, well, it can't be hard to make something better than what they have. The only problem I see is that there are just so many heroes in DotA, we would be left with little to make (i.e. if you'd made your skeletal ranger in such a contest, it would've been seen as a clinkz-rip off (before testing, of course)).

I'd like to think something else, like Land of Legends, AotZ, ToB, or DoE would be much better... But then again, not everyone has played them.
So do we make everyone play them? Not necessarily a bad thing... :P
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 02-02-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #154
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Somehow a hero with critical strike, bash, vampiric aura, and reincarnation just doesn't interest me in terms of designing a hero... Nor does a hero with like 30 skills where there's still an obvious 'best' choice. Two ends of the spectrum, and I don't like either.

DotA heroes don't offer enough of a design space to work inside of. DotA also has a very undefined aesthetic for its heroes - it has what, one custom texture? Two if you include that white caped blood mage? I mean really, may as well judge the art against Blizz stuff. That's not very exciting.

If we're going to do an AoS contest, DotA is out by sheer virtue that it's too close to melee in terms of what the heroes are and how they play. I think ToB is too stylized in its own way, and hell if anyone but Cassiel or Erwt can make a good hero for it. DoE is interesting in the dynamics it offers for hero developers, but I don't think anyone would be interested. AotZ is pretty classy and so forth, probably one of the better known AoS maps around this site, it might work.

*Shrugs* Got me. Let's wait for more feedback.

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 02-02-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #155
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)

Mapping Contest First Place

Send a message via AIM to emjlr3 Send a message via MSN to emjlr3

w/o an intimate understanding of the map, it would be hard to design a hero for it - a problem I think many would come accross in such a case...
Old 02-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #156
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

we just deprotect some random aos
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #157
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk
DoE is interesting in the dynamics it offers for hero developers, but I don't think anyone would be interested. AotZ is pretty classy and so forth, probably one of the better known AoS maps around this site, it might work.
That's another thing. As much as I love them, your two games (especially DoE, though I may be wrong) involve a complex systems of buffs (I think that's the one with the "bleeding" and others). Making a hero for that would require, in most cases, utilizing this in-built system of buffs, and (of course) JASS or higher. Unless you want people making heroes made to fit in your maps out of GUI. xD
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #158
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
As much as I love them, your two games (especially DoE, though I may be wrong) involve a complex systems of buffs
You should probably play AotZ before claiming that it uses conditions. Only DoE does use them, in fact.
Quote:
Making a hero for that would require, in most cases, utilizing this in-built system of buffs,
Thank God for that, otherwise designing heroes for it might be just like every other AoS in existence.
Quote:
(of course) JASS or higher
Not true. The system I've made is easily used in GUI as well. Silly boy.
Quote:
Unless you want people making heroes made to fit in your maps out of GUI. xD
You're doing it wrong. It's not about making heroes for someone's map. It's about making heroes such that they would fit in that map and can then have that map's baseline be used as the zero-level by which the judging starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorian
we just deprotect some random aos
Oh God...
Old 02-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #159
Av3n
Roar!

Project Leader: TBR
Project Member: PoC

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

Well... Why in the hell are we talking about what AoS we are gonna do.
I say if there _were_ going to be an AoS hero contest, it's better if the site provided specific standards, or even better a test map with systems of what the hero is suppose to be designed for.

Well the point is that.
* AotZ, every hero is good if you know how to use them
* DoE, taking advantage of your buffs you can place (I haven't played neither in ages)
* DotA, right items and right hero equals imba
* ToB... I haven't really played this one

The fact that if you are gonna do an AoS contest, provide us with a map/standard of how is our hero gonna function

Note: I think I repeated myself a few times, bleh.

-Av3n

Thanks to FatherTime for the sig
.:
Current ProjectsSubmissions
Power of CorruptionMy Terrain
The Black RoadMy Resources
Strikeforce
Twitter
Av3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Fledermaus
This message has been deleted by Fledermaus. Reason: DELETETETETETED
Old 02-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #160
AnemicRoyalty

Texturing Moderator
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (23)

AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)

Skinning Contest #14 WinnerSkinning Contest #15 WinnerHero Contest #2 - 1st Place

Actually... I like that idea, BnB ftw
AnemicRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #161
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

It wouldn't be the same without Blu. :<
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av3n
I say if there _were_ going to be an AoS hero contest, it's better if the site provided specific standards, or even better a test map with systems of what the hero is suppose to be designed for.
Of course, all of those things would be provided. We're talking about the baseline around which the judges can even rate the heroes. In order to rate a hero objectively, you need a baseline - or set of heroes to use as examples - in order to work from. Unless we use an already-existing AoS map, we simply won't have that.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #162
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)

Send a message via MSN to Ignitedstar Send a message via Yahoo to Ignitedstar

I would have to disagree on using an existing AoS as a baseline.

For one, the person who made the AoS and/or the heroes in the AoS have the best chance of winning because they already have the imaginary format for basing heroes laid out for them, while someone like me who doesn't particularly play that AoS would have little to no experience on how get this format. People play maps off of experience, too.

This is what I'm worried about: The people who have had the time to get to the know the AoS or have some significant background for the AoS versus those on the other side of the spectrum with little to no experience playing around with the functions of that AoS or no have never even touched the AoS before.

If you guys are aiming for a baseline, it's better to get an even playing field.
I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

1 Corinthians 13:1-2

Current Works:
None.

Last edited by Ignitedstar : 02-02-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Ignitedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #163
Zerzax
Zerzy

Submissions (2)

Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverSpell Making Session 13 WinnerSpell Making Session 12 Winner

Send a message via AIM to Zerzax Send a message via MSN to Zerzax

I think a bare shell of an AoS would need to be created. Basically, every contestant/s is provided with a list of options. One would be a support caster - another a tank - another a supporting agility, for instance. Another general framework could be provided for synergy, I know that's general but I think you could pull it off. And then theme, race, and the rest could be made by the team / contestant. The judges would then take the theme, role of the character, and execution of these aspects into account when judging. I think with some ingenuity and hard work by a group of coordinators, it would be perfectly possible.

1. Die - D2 Barbarian
2. Time to Die - D2 Barbarian
3. Too Much Baggage! - D1 Warrior
4. I Gotta Pawn Some of This Stuff! - D1 Warrior
Zerzax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #164
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitedStar
For one, the person who made the AoS and/or the heroes in the AoS have the best chance of winning because they already have the imaginary format for basing heroes laid out for them, while someone like me who doesn't particularly play that AoS would have little to no experience on how get this format. People play maps off of experience, too.

This is what I'm worried about: The people who have had the time to get to the know the AoS or have some significant background for the AoS versus those on the other side of the spectrum with little to no experience playing around with the functions of that AoS or no have never even touched the AoS before.

If you guys are aiming for a baseline, it's better to get an even playing field.
Technically, all of these arguments could've been used against us ever having a melee contest too. I don't play melee for crap, but I can use the current heroes as an example to suggest how I should create them. The same applies to any other map genre or style, really.

And Zerz, really, we can't give people a shell of a map. My whole point is that there need to be heroes already to play around with in-game to see what kind of style we should be attempting to create. I know for a fact that none of us have the time to create a full AoS specifically for use as a contest template; that's ridiculous.

People need examples for heroes.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #165
Zerzax
Zerzy

Submissions (2)

Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverSpell Making Session 13 WinnerSpell Making Session 12 Winner

Send a message via AIM to Zerzax Send a message via MSN to Zerzax

Good point. I'm still in favor of the idea, though it's true finding a suitable way to do it would be very difficult.

1. Die - D2 Barbarian
2. Time to Die - D2 Barbarian
3. Too Much Baggage! - D1 Warrior
4. I Gotta Pawn Some of This Stuff! - D1 Warrior
Zerzax is offline   Reply With Quote