wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map / Campaign Projects
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 07-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
gekko
User

Submissions (1)

gekko will become famous soon enough (33)gekko will become famous soon enough (33)

Default -== YouTD, it's YOUR Tower Defense ==-

Prologue

I'm not sure if this topic should rather be in a project discussion forum or a recruitement forum. I wan't you to present the map, but somehow I want to recruit you all.

If you don't remember me, I am the creator of Castle Fight, which is quite well known I guess and eeve! TD which is not too famous I guess, but still I can consider it one of the top 10% of tower defenses.

So, as you see, I am a quite experienced map maker seeking a totally new type of project. And I guess I have found it. This map will, and already is, no longer comparable to any other Tower Defense ever made.

Finally, I am the Author of the tool called "GMSI" which is a tool for procedurally reading information from maps / altering maps / inserting stuff into maps. This tool made this project possible.

Read on, this project is no additional towerdefense with just a few new features. It is rather a totally new style of creating games.
This is so innovative that I could convince my Professor to let me make this map as my Bachelor's Thesis for my Studies in Computer Science.

The Concept

The idea is, that I create the template for a high quality tower defense. I've created a nice environment, gamemodes and diversified random creep waves.
The towers and items of this TD however, are not created by me, but can be created by ANY user who has some map making skills.

You might wonder: "Okay, you let other people help you with your project, what's new about that?"
The answer is: New is that this helping process is totally automated. People who want to create their own tower for this map just have to download a "tower creation map" from me. There, they can easily design their tower. Then, they start GMSI, which reads the tower from that map and transforms it into an XML format which you can upload at YouTD's web page. When you do this, the tower will automatically appear in a tower data base where every user can see your tower in his browser, discuss about it, view its values and description and so on.
People will discuss your tower to make improvements. If the tower has become flawless, due to users helps, and Admin will approve it (just like resources are approved here). Then, the tower will AUTOMATICALLY be in the next version of YouTD.

This process is called "Open Innovation" and is a big topic in many areas of today's business. However, Open Innovation is not used much in Game Developement yet. This map is a prove of concept that Open Innovation works also in Game Design.

No more copy and paste work for me, new towers are automatically injected into the next version by GMSI. And this is the big difference!
You know, for DotA Allstars, thousands of people have suggested heros. But there is no interface to create them! So Icefrog cannot include many new heros each update, because HE has to do them himself. If DotA used YouTD's concept, it could have 100 new heros each version. Even 100 new heros may not be good for an AoS style map, 100 new towers is surely cool for a tower defense!

The map, for players

Before telling you the details about the Open Innovation process, I will tell you about the map features itself, just if it was a "normal" TD.

The Enemies

YouTD uses randomly generated creeps as enemies. In your scoreboard, you can always see the next 6 levels. So you can prepare for the creep specialities:

As you can see, creeps of different sizes engage you. Possible sizes are: air units, normal units, mass units (many units in one level, near together
  • Air: take the direct path to the finish.
  • Normal: Normal creeps, up to 10 spawn, may have champions in their rows (champions are stronger and may have auras)
  • Mass: Many (20) small creeps near together. Splash damage tower will help you against these. May also have champtions
  • Boss: One strong unit
  • Challenge: Every 8 levels. Strong unit(s) which don't hurt you if they reach the finish. Tests the damage of your towers and gives many points.

Creeps have one of 5 armor types. The first 4 use a Rock, Paper, Scissors system. The last one is a special type comparable to "divine" which gets low damage from everything except essence (=chaos).
They are also from one of 5 races: Human, Magical, Undead, Orc, Nature. The race has basically no influence. However, there are special towers which deal more or less damage to different races. Astral towers for example often deal bonus damage to undead.

Enemies may also have one or two special abilities. There are around 20 abilities at the moment and many still to come. Abilities include:
  • Invisible
  • Heavy Armored
  • Spell Resistant / Immune
  • Rich (grant more bounty)
  • Wisdom (grant more experience)
  • Speed
  • Relic Raider (increased chance to drop an item)

So really, no game is like the one before. You must adapt to special abilities, sizes, armors and races. Planning all that will require tactics and will make the long term fun of this map very high.

Creeps also have a chance to drop items. Items can be used to power up your towers.

I should also mention here, that there is no final level, the TD is open end. So the goal is not to beat the whole TD but to reach a high level and gain a big highscore. Many people complained at eeve! TD that a final level is unsatisfying, you have just built your cool towers and then the game ends... Now you can play as long as you survive. Of course, the game gets more difficult each level, so you won't be able to play forever.

Tower Models

The map uses the "assembled models" concept for towers as you might know from some buildings of Castle Fight. That means the model is assembled from different other wc3 models, allowing beautiful new models. Here are some tower models already used for towers:

As you can see, thse models are much more innovative then other TD models which consist of always the same tower models that every TD player knows by heart.

Tower Gameplay

Even if the towers are user created, I want to tell you some facts that every tower shares. The most important one is that YouTD uses an extremely sophisticated, I dare to say THE most sophisticated engine, including projectiles, damage detection, buff, aura and many other systems. This allows towers to have abilities that you have NEVER seen in any other TD.

Here are some facts which are possible for towers, which will make TD players go mad:
  • Towers can critically hit, the critical hit chance can be altered by items, BUFFS & AURAS. So it would be possible to have a tower which grants +5% critical hit rate to surrounding towers. In addition, towers are able to "multicrit": If a tower critically hits and hasn't reached its multicrit limit, it can crit again, adding the crit damage bonus to the tower again. You will see two exclamation marks on the critical hit text then.
  • ALL spells can hit critically
  • Towers gain exp. Exp makes towers gain levels which makes spells and attacks of this tower stronger and may even add new abilities at certain levels.
  • You can alter MANY things about towers / creeps. Examples: damage, attackspeed, crit chance, crit damage, spell damage, item drop chance, bounty ratio, exp ratio. So there could be for example an aura that increases the item drop chance of surrounding creeps. Have you seen something like that before?
  • Spells can be altered: There could be a chainlightning that stuns all units it hits and grants +50% bounty from creeps killed with it.
  • Many more...

Players can view the stats of their tower. Here is a screenshot of the "tower info multiboard".
As you can see, towers really have many different values that can be boosted:

Towers are from one of the seven elements: Nature, Fire, Ice, Storm, Iron, Astral, Darkness.
Each round you have a chance to get a tower from each element. Towers are categorized common, uncommon, rare and unique. While common and uncommon towers appear frequently, rares and uniques appear only rarily, but they have mightier abilities in exchange.
Players put skillpoints into the elements. These skillpoints increase the chance to get a tower of the skilled element. In addition, skillpoints also increase the chance to get a high quality tower (rare, unique). So, you will always also get towers from elements you haven't skilled. But this won't be many, and most of the time it will only be common ones.

You can browse the already uploaded towers HERE. As soon as you upload a tower, it will also be displayed there.

Environment

Most TDs have a crappy environmoent, or lets say, no environment at all. YouTD is settled at an ancient pyramide with a portal on its top. I have tried to make the lanes look nice. Here are some screenshots :).

Environment Screenshots

The engine, for creators

The last chapters showed you how the map will be like. This chapter will enlight the trigger engine that makes all the effects possible.
(this is an excerpt from the YouTD introduction page)

The map offers an extremely sophisticated trigger engine that allows tower creators to make really unique abilities with just a few lines of JASS code.
Here are a few examples of what can be done with this trigger engine and how many lines of code (approximately) will be needed for it:
  • Creating a chainlightning that can critically hit: 0 Lines of code(!) Every spell in YouTD is able to critically hit by default.
  • Creating a chainlightning that stuns all targets it hits and is automatically cast on 20% of all attacks: 12 lines of code
  • Creating a chainlightning that
    • stuns all targets it hits
    • deals 6% damage to undead units
    • deals only 80% damage to air units
    • gets 10% stronger with each tower level
    • is automatically cast on 20% of all attacks
    • Creeps killed by this spell grant 50% more bounty
    • Creeps killed by this spell have an increased chance to drop an item
    20 lines of code
This is no joke! All these attributes, where each of them is hardly used in ANY TD at the moment because they are normally to complex to be triggered, can be coded with just 1-3 lines of code by using the YouTD engine.

You will see towers with effects that have never appeared in any TD.

If you are tinkering with the thought of creating a tower for this TD...

I have written a HowTo that tells you everything you need to know, starting from the basics of creating your tower, assembling the model and uploading it. Next, it contains a documentation of the YouTD API. This are the functions and methods you can call to use features of the engine.

There are some other topics in the YouTD forum that tell you other stuff about tower making and a growing community of creators that helps other fresh creators with implementing their tower.

Even if towers have to be triggered in vJASS, also beginners can create towers. Why? Because of this:
  • We also need common towers without much (or even without any) triggering. These can be made by users that have no vJASS skills.
  • I have written a small vJASS tutorial that will tell creators the basics of vJASS (because you only need 10% of vJASS's features to create your own tower)
  • The engine makes triggering much easier. Abilities that would normally require deep knowledge of WC3 triggering can be coded easily by just calling an API function/method.
  • You can download each already submitted tower and just check its triggering. This makes players able to learn from other already made trigger effects.
  • The always growing community of creators and admins will always help creators with their issues.
  • Two of our current submitters have never coded JASS or vJASS before in their life. However, since the engine makes stuff easy and the community helped them, they could also create wonderful towers!
  • It is a shame that so many new map makers start with ugly GUI and then have to adapt to JASS. Maybe this project can encourage new map makers to start JASS without the ugly indirection of GUI.

The current state of the map

This is the first public release of the map. Even if the map wasn't released before, there were 7 people who already uploaded 120+ approved towers, which are contained in this beta release.
Even if 120+ sounds like many towers, inserted into the 7 elements and 4 rarities, this ain't much. So there is always the need for new towers!
If things continue like they do at the moment (even without a release, daily new towers are created), we could reach 1000+ towers in the map. Again this looks like WTF so many towers, I will not see anything twice, I cannot adapt the strategy :(. However, if we devide this value through 7 elements and 4 rarities, that is only 35 towers per rarity and element. Since towers are arranged in "families" which represent basically the same tower but in different price versions, that is only about 10 families per rarity and element.
So don't be afraid that there will be too many towers!

Next, I will code a creation interface for items. Then, creators will also be able to create items which can be dropped by creeps. At the moment there are only some basic items in the map, just to have some.

Epilog and links

I hope this presentation could convince you that this might get one of the best TDs ever made. With YOUR help! So download the beta, play it a few times and then think about creating your own tower.

However, don't let you scare from this beta! Often you receive ten times the same tower, have no options and thus the game might get boring fast. But this will be changed with every new uploaded tower.
This beta is more or less not a final TD but just a version to show future creators for what kind of map they might create towers.

As soon as we have more towers and some items, the game will get replayable a hundret times without getting boring because there are so many towers / element combinations / items / random creeps that make every game totally different from the one before.

Finally, here are the promised links:

I hope you liked this presentation and I would appreciate any kind of feedback.
Thank you for reading

Note:
This presentation is mirrored at wc3c, hiveworkshop and eeve.org to reach more players/creators.

Check out latest GMSI !
gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 07-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Cherry-Soap
User

Cherry-Soap has little to show at this moment (8)

This honestly seems like a great idea! Especially that idea of open innovation!

I really hope that I'll be able to play on BNet with some people soon :p.

The detail in the tower stats really push players to make their own towers, this seems like a great project, I wish you luck that it gets done and you get lots of help!

Epilogue has a -ue at the end :p.
Cherry-Soap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Kwah
Christmassy.

Submissions (4)

Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)

A clever use of GMSI, for sure.

I'll take a look at the map.
Kwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

Ooo, neat method of implementation, although I'm not sure how well it'll actually work in this context. Good luck.
Quote:
[13:32] <Akolyt0r> hmm.. stil i want to have some unused women
Captain Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
Anopob
Yay!

Anopob has a spectacular aura about (120)

I just played the map, and it was pretty fun, though I only got 23175 points... not sure if that's good or not. About the map itself however, how would you exactly balance out all these towers? It seems pretty tough to do it manually, and using a system to balance its spells and damage together seems to be quite flawed in a way.
Better Ways of Requesting For Help - Race Contest #2 WIP Thread (Bone Race)
As of December 1st I have my blue rep. Yay :D
Anopob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
EvilNoodle
User

Submissions (1)

EvilNoodle is on a distinguished road (21)

Sounds pretty schweet!
Btw do you use a dummy unit model for all those unique towers?
and about having a ton of different towers, wouldnt it be a pain in the ass to read the tooltips for every one of them? I dont think any typicall Bnet player would bother reading a wall of text and so this would just eventually cause people to build a random tower.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
MasterCassim
User

MasterCassim has little to show at this moment (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anopob
I just played the map, and it was pretty fun, though I only got 23175 points... not sure if that's good or not. About the map itself however, how would you exactly balance out all these towers? It seems pretty tough to do it manually, and using a system to balance its spells and damage together seems to be quite flawed in a way.
There is an ability factor which every creator have to give to his tower. With this factor, the range, the splash damage, the attack type (bounce etc.), the goldcost and some more factors the tower DPS and damage is calculated automatically. You can't adjust it by yourself. Now you only have to find the right ability factor for your tower. For a strong ability this factor is smaller than for weaker one. With help of the community only this factor has to be balanced and then the whole tower is fine. For example at the moment a tower receives for 1g (with normal range, no splash, no bounce) 1 DPS. I hope you get the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilNoodle
Sounds pretty schweet!
and about having a ton of different towers, wouldnt it be a pain in the ass to read the tooltips for every one of them? I dont think any typicall Bnet player would bother reading a wall of text and so this would just eventually cause people to build a random tower.
You don't have to read all tooltips because in "Upgrade" and "Random" mode you only get some towers which you can build. So you don't have millions of tower. Then you could upgrade your elements to have a better chance to get towers from that element. So you don't have all towers at once.
MasterCassim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
Callahan
Bullseye

Submissions (72)

Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)

Did you released the tower creation map yet?

_________
I support every RPG map maker.
_______
OMG!My signature doesn't countains subliminal messages anymore!
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
MasterCassim
User

MasterCassim has little to show at this moment (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan
Yes, read the HowTo
MasterCassim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:11 AM   #10
Kwah
Christmassy.

Submissions (4)

Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan

That'd be here. (His site)
Kwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #11
gekko
User

Submissions (1)

gekko will become famous soon enough (33)gekko will become famous soon enough (33)

Quote:
Epilogue has a -ue at the end :p.
Fixed. :) My english ain't that bad, I am just disappointed when writing stuff^^.

Quote:
Yes, we are using a generic dummy model, just like vexorian's VX model and add the models as special effect. However, our model is better than vexorian's since it allows 360 pitch and -200 flying height (so doods can also be sunken into the ground).
My admin tolleder has credit for this model.
We're even planning to add an even more sophisticaed model that has for example attachementpoints that move in a circle, rotate or get bigger and smaller. Then, people will be able to design moving parts.
However, since we're very bad at modelling, we weren't able to archieve that yet.

Quote:
About the map itself however, how would you exactly balance out all these towers? It seems pretty tough to do it manually, and using a system to balance its spells and damage together seems to be quite flawed in a way.
True, that is an issue!
I guess we have a good system for this:
First, the attackdamage of the tower is calculated by the injection script. You don't have to worry about it.
The script considers:
-goldcost
-range
-possible targets (only ground/air towers gain more dps)
-special attacks (bounce, splash)
-attackspeed (fast towers get a very tiny penalty on dps, since they are better with %-triggerchance items)
-abil factor
The only thing the use has to do to balance his tower is to set the abil factor properly.

If the tower has no abilities, the abil factor should be 1.0, that means 100% of the towers goldcost are used to boost its dps.
If the user chooses 0.5 as abil factor, only 50% will be used for attacks, so the tower will have only the halve dps of one with 1.0

So The really difficult point is choosing the abil factor correctly. However I have written some heuristics for finding a balanced on in the HowTo.
In addition we have admins and players that will discuss the tower and also think about the abil factor.

If then, a hardcore TD player notices that one tower is totally imba, he can just download it, tweak it (by for example just lowering the abil factor), and upload it (with some comments that proove its imbaness). Then it will be corrected.

So I guess, at the moment the towers are at least 80% balanced. Sure, there are some abilitiy combinations that make it hard to figure out an appropriate abil factor, but we re trying our best :).

Quote:
and about having a ton of different towers, wouldnt it be a pain in the ass to read the tooltips for every one of them?
Absolutely true! That's why we use a random tower system. Each round you get a few towers (most times only one). Either you know these already or you have to read "only" a few tooltips each round. So you are not confronted with a wall of tooltips, but learn about new towers step by step. However, you still get enough towers to have a choice. Otherwise there would be no tactics anymore since you would always just build the towers you get.

Quote:
Yes, of course (kwah gave you the link alread). Since the map already contains towers from 8 users I have to have it released^^. (It was released longtime before the map).
However, if you want to create a tower maybe start at the youTD links mentioned in my presentation or start at my
YouTD creator's FAQs

Check out latest GMSI !

Last edited by gekko : 07-25-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:01 AM   #12
Karawasa
Element Tower Defense

Submissions (2)

Karawasa has a spectacular aura about (78)Karawasa has a spectacular aura about (78)Karawasa has a spectacular aura about (78)

Approved Map: Tropical TagApproved Map: Element TD

Send a message via AIM to Karawasa Send a message via MSN to Karawasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekko
You might wonder: "Okay, you let other people help you with your project, what's new about that?"
The answer is: New is that this helping process is totally automated. People who want to create their own tower for this map just have to download a "tower creation map" from me. There, they can easily design their tower. Then, they start GMSI, which reads the tower from that map and transforms it into an XML format which you can upload at YouTD's web page. When you do this, the tower will automatically appear in a tower data base where every user can see your tower in his browser, discuss about it, view its values and description and so on.
People will discuss your tower to make improvements. If the tower has become flawless, due to users helps, and Admin will approve it (just like resources are approved here). Then, the tower will AUTOMATICALLY be in the next version of YouTD.

This sounds and feels like a new idea, but in practice it is just the same. Notice how there is an "admin" approval required. Let's compare two different ways of doing things,

1. User suggests an idea. Community picks it apart, refines it etc.. Creator (admin) approves it and it gets made.

2. User submits a tower. Community picks it apart, refines it etc.. Admin approves it and it gets added.

The difference is quite simple. Instead of the map maker doing the work, you're doing the work for him. This isn't really an innovative or exciting idea in my opinion. At least as long as there is some final authority. Take that away, and you're onto something.

Quote:
Many people complained at eeve! TD that a final level is unsatisfying, you have just built your cool towers and then the game ends... Now you can play as long as you survive. Of course, the game gets more difficult each level, so you won't be able to play forever.

Ironic, because I've had many people complain about the "play until you die" idea. The age old adage that you can't make everyone happy has proven itself once again. The experienced players all agree it is a good idea though, and so do I.

Quote:
As you can see, thse models are much more innovative then other TD models which consist of always the same tower models that every TD player knows by heart.

This is a rather weak argument. With the plethora of models and tweaking options (color, size, attachments etc.) in WC3 you really don't need this. Does it look cool? Sure. But to say that all other TD models are the same and boring is quite a stretch.

Quote:
The most important one is that YouTD uses an extremely sophisticated, I dare to say THE most sophisticated engine, including projectiles, damage detection, buff, aura and many other systems. This allows towers to have abilities that you have NEVER seen in any other TD.

Been there, done that. I'm certainly glad someone else decided to introduce vJASS to the genre, but be clear that you're not the first (thus, this is no innovation on your part).

Quote:
Most TDs have a crappy environmoent, or lets say, no environment at all.

Yes, it is a shame. It just goes to show how many map makers underestimate the genre (by thinking they can get away with bad terrain in a TD). Glad you said "most" by the way.

Element Tower Defense - Premier WC3 Custom Game
Karawasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #13
gekko
User

Submissions (1)

Sure, you're protecting your TD, so I understand your criticism and that you don't seem to see the good points in it.
However, I think this is no problem. Your TD has a well thought set of towers. My map won't have that it's community created. The towers will be much more random and will have only 80% or even less of your balance.
So I have no problem with our TDs coexisting :D. Especially since your is a single player survivor. My is more fun to be played as a team. Indeed your TD doesn't make most of the mistakes I have citated here. And it has terrain what I really appreciate! :D

However, I want to argue against some things you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karawasa
This sounds and feels like a new idea, but in practice it is just the same. Notice how there is an "admin" approval required. Let's compare two different ways of doing things,

1. User suggests an idea. Community picks it apart, refines it etc.. Creator (admin) approves it and it gets made.

2. User submits a tower. Community picks it apart, refines it etc.. Admin approves it and it gets added.

The difference is quite simple. Instead of the map maker doing the work, you're doing the work for him. This isn't really an innovative or exciting idea in my opinion. At least as long as there is some final authority. Take that away, and you're onto something.
No, that is plain wrong, sorry. There is a big difference between 1. and 2. or lets say a few.

1.) That Approval process can be fully done in the webbrowser (and maybe playtesting the tower once). It doesn't take much time. I needed around 10 minutes to check and approve a tower.
If I had coded them myself, especially since some of them really contained much triggering, I would have sit there for hours.
So the biggest difference between 1. and 2. is that I can have much more towers because that final authority thing takes not much time and I have admins that help my approving the towers.
2.) The innovation. Players do have Ideas. However, it is something completely else posting a tower that does "this and that" and really creating it. For the models for example:
Models have appeared that I had never built myself. I am not too good at assembling models. If people couldn't make them, they couldn't give me the advises to make them also.

Quote:
This is a rather weak argument. With the plethora of models and tweaking options (color, size, attachments etc.) in WC3 you really don't need this. Does it look cool? Sure. But to say that all other TD models are the same and boring is quite a stretch.
Most TDs have poor models. That is a fact. Of course not all do have it. However, I think I am the only one with assembled models at the moment. And I do get bored from many TD models. Your TD has used good models, the look like towers, but most maps use only random creeps as towers. Yesterday I played one with a wisp as tower that evolves to a treant, then to a dreadlord. Yaaaaaawnn....

Quote:
Been there, done that. I'm certainly glad someone else decided to introduce vJASS to the genre, but be clear that you're not the first (thus, this is no innovation on your part).
The innovation ain't the use of vJASS but the possibilities of the engine. I can make an aura that increases nearby towers' item drop ratio or critical strike chance, with 4 lines of code.
The aura gets stronger with each level of the emitting tower (and that without having an aura ability with 25 levels). Maybe I am not well informed but I have never seen such an aura in any TD before.

Check out latest GMSI !

Last edited by gekko : 07-27-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #14
Karawasa
Element Tower Defense

Submissions (2)

Karawasa has a spectacular aura about (78)Karawasa has a spectacular aura about (78)Karawasa has a spectacular aura about (78)

Approved Map: Tropical TagApproved Map: Element TD

Send a message via AIM to Karawasa Send a message via MSN to Karawasa

Quote:
Sure, you're protecting your TD, so I understand your criticism and that you don't seem to see the good points in it.
However, I think this is no problem. Your TD has a well thought set of towers. My map won't have that it's community created. The towers will be much more random and will have only 80% or even less of your balance.
So I have no problem with our TDs coexisting :D. Especially since your is a single player survivor. My is more fun to be played as a team. Indeed your TD doesn't make most of the mistakes I have citated here. And it has terrain what I really appreciate! :D

I apologize if I came across in that way, as it was not my intention. I too have no problem with our TDs coexisting, or any TD for that matter. While I would argue ETD is a multiplayer survivor, I agree they are not competing. Though that is a moot point for me, as I would actually appreciate the competition (it furthers the genre).

I am actually quite interested to see how your project turns out. I do not plan on staying with WC3 much longer (need to get beyond the new patch though, lest I leave with a broken game). I have always considered community involvement as crucial to a game's success. Thus, I may learn a thing or two from your experiment that could prove useful in future endeavors.

Quote:
No, that is plain wrong, sorry. There is a big difference between 1. and 2. or lets say a few.

1.) That Approval process can be fully done in the webbrowser (and maybe playtesting the tower once). It doesn't take much time. I needed around 10 minutes to check and approve a tower.
If I had coded them myself, especially since some of them really contained much triggering, I would have sit there for hours.
So the biggest difference between 1. and 2. is that I can have much more towers because that final authority thing takes not much time and I have admins that help my approving the towers.
2.) The innovation. Players do have Ideas. However, it is something completely else posting a tower that does "this and that" and really creating it. For the models for example:
Models have appeared that I had never built myself. I am not too good at assembling models. If people couldn't make them, they couldn't give me the advises to make them also.

2. You bring up a very valid point with the assembled models. Aside from that though, I do not agree. My experience has shown that people who haven't touched the editor are just as able to come up with brilliant ideas. Getting people to post compared to create is a huge difference in the effort hurdle. In my opinion, you are going to get a fraction of the innovation you would have otherwise.

1. Yes, that was my point. This new method will cut down development time, as others are doing the work for you. However, it will not produce an innovative game until you remove the element of final authority. I am not proposing total chaos where there is no approval process, rather I am proposing a community based approval process (votes or something).

Quote:
Most TDs have poor models. That is a fact. Of course not all do have it. However, I think I am the only one with assembled models at the moment. And I do get bored from many TD models. Your TD has used good models, the look like towers, but most maps use only random creeps as towers. Yesterday I played one with a wisp as tower that evolves to a treant, then to a dreadlord. Yaaaaaawnn....

Perhaps this one is a result of my own ignorance. It sounds like you play a variety of TDs, whereas I stick with only a few good ones. I'll concede then that the majority of TDs have repetitive and uninspired model choices. The main point I was trying to make is that there is enough content within WC3 to produce a good model selection (though it seems most have failed) and that assembled models is more of a bonus feature than a selling point.

Quote:
The innovation ain't the use of vJASS but the possibilities of the engine. I can make an aura that increases nearby towers' item drop ratio or critical strike chance, with 4 lines of code.
The aura gets stronger with each level of the emitting tower (and that without having an aura ability with 25 levels). Maybe I am not well informed but I have never seen such an aura in any TD before.

This isn't an innovation either though. There are systems (just browse resource section) that are designed to allow you to make complex stuff with few lines of code. You may have taken it a step further, but this is not what I was trying to debunk. Rather, I took issue with the idea that you were going to bring new and crazy ideas to TDs (i.e. beyond slow, splash, and stun) because of your capabilities. This is simply not true.

Element Tower Defense - Premier WC3 Custom Game
Karawasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
~Void~
Inactive as fuck

Submissions (39)

~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)

Element TD and YouTD are two very different things. Element TD has more competitive potential whereas YouTD is a more social-match oriented game for players on bnet.