wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > General Mapping Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 08-05-2007, 06:28 AM   #1
jonadrian619
User

Submissions (9)

jonadrian619 is on a distinguished road (15)

Default Game Interface - Custom Training Queue

Custom Training Queue Backdrops by jonadrian619

1) Introduction
2) Needed Tools
3) Basic Steps
4) Importing the backdrop to Warcraft III
5) Conclusion

1) Introduction
This is a tutorial which focuses on customizing the Training Queue Backdrop, an interface which allows you to train multiple units or research multiple upgrades, also which has seven squares for units or upgrades. It's like this:

Zoom (requires log in)
- the basic backdrop

This tutorial will make your map really unique and nice, if your map has structures that can train units or research upgrades.

2) Needed Tools
Wc3 Image Extractor II
You need a program that can extract images from MPQ's which Blizzard uses to store game data, and a program that can also convert image files into different formats. Wc3 Image Extractor II is the suitable tool. Go get it.

Download Wc3 Image Extractor II

Adobe Photoshop CS
Well, to design the backdrop you need Adobe Photoshop CS. I use Photoshop for this tutorial, but you can use any, for as long as it can open/save .tga files.

3) Basic Steps
Open the Image Extractor. Select the Open button, then select Archive (Mpq) or press Ctrl+A. Then open war3.mpq in the Warcraft III directory. After that, go to UI\Widgets\Console\Human\human-unitqueue-border.blp. It looks like this:

Zoom (requires log in)

Right click "human-unitqueue-border.blp" then click on the Save button. Save it as a Targa(.tga) file.

Open up Adobe Photoshop or any photo editor, then open the image you last saved. Use the Brush tool and set foreground color to Black. Also set the brush Mode to Normal. Brush up the numbers in the 2-7 boxes, but DON'T brush the golden borders. Next recolor the borders or change their design, although it takes much time.

Note: The editing part is compleatly up to you, you may choose to follow the step above or make your own designs.

When designing is done, click File then click Save As button. Save as a .tga file. Make it have 24 or 32 bits/pixel for better quality while not occupying too much memory.

Then open Image Extractor II, open the new file then this time save it as .blp. A JPEG Options dialog then appears. You can set it to 75-100 without losing too much quality.

For me, it ended up like this:

Zoom (requires log in)
- cool design, I made it anyway.

4) Importing the backdrop to Warcraft III
Open up the Import Manager (F12). Import the new .blp file to your map, with the full path as UI\Widgets\Console\Human\human-unitqueue-border.blp.

Add some buildings like a Barracks or Blacksmith to your map then save your map and close the World Editor. Play your map. Try to train a unit or research an upgrade, and your backdrop will end up in a different design like the picture below.

Zoom (requires log in)
- the outcome of the backdrop in-game

5) Conclusion
I hope you do get all the instructions listed in this tutorial, although you can also have a different design in your backdrop. This is my 3rd Game Interface tutorial. You can also read my other tutorials to make your map one of a kind among others.

I might update this tutorial if people find bugs or want improvements or changes....

Have fun!!

~jonadrian619
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QueueBackdrop-Default.jpg (48.2 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg human-unitqueue-border.jpg (17.3 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg human-unitqueue-border-finished.jpg (34.1 KB, 407 views)
File Type: jpg QueueBackdrop-Finished.jpg (52.9 KB, 465 views)

Game Interface Tutorials
Basics | Custom Training Queue
Other Tutorials
How to make Custom Skies

Last edited by PitzerMike : 09-12-2007 at 07:26 PM.
jonadrian619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
jonadrian619
User

Submissions (9)

jonadrian619 is on a distinguished road (15)

Please give out suggestions and comments and tell me if it needs improvement or how cool it is.. +Rep me too if you like it.

Game Interface Tutorials
Basics | Custom Training Queue
Other Tutorials
How to make Custom Skies
jonadrian619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
The Elite
For External Use Only

Submissions (6)

The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)

this is pretty good, i cant be bothered following it and testing it but it seems like it works
Quote:
+Rep me too if you like it.
hmm... ok

Goths are nerds that dress like vampires. -Dominant-Male
Oh, and wc3c wasn't dying back in 2007 and it isn't now. Our secret is simple: you can't kill the undead ... - Vexorian

We're definitely not going to make a G or a PG version of this. It's not PillowfightCraft. - Chris Metzen on the Warcraft Movie
Man, we're considered elitist all over the internet. This makes me feel nice and warm inside. - ghenjis
Please help! I'll provide no information, you must guess! - Whitehorn
The Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

I like it.
Pretty much the same problems as with your other tutorial:
The images need to be attached to your post so that they can't get broken.

EDIT: I fixed it

Last edited by PitzerMike : 09-12-2007 at 07:27 PM.
PitzerMike is offline   Reply With Quote