wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Town Hall > WC3C News
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 11:41 PM   #1
Cookie
User

Respected User

Submissions (4)

Cookie will become famous soon enough (26)

Good day, night easter and holy days!

A few days ago Abriko passed to me a few screenshots of his project Acathla (French) that are certainly eye candy to watch. For your enjoyment you can view them by clicking on the thumbnails at the end of this newstopic

Acathla is a project based on the Starcraft Universe. Taking a different point of view then the regular rts, you will play as the commander of a squadteam on the planet Acathla, where you will be in charge of bringing your missions to a good ending (and your squad people in one piece). This most promising mod is nearing to the end of the alpha phase, and it wouldnt take long before mission 1 is playable in a beta (Abriko did not flinch anything about a public release ETA though).

Remember that although this mod is in french, the linguistic barrier will not affect the quality of this mod at all. It is still one of the top notch projects I have ever seen for Warcraft III and Abriko deserves respect On a sidenote: Abriko is looking for proficient php coders who are able to set up a easy-to-navigate-administration-and-update php site. Pro's are of course sufficient knowledge of php and able to create the php site on a short notice. A factor that will help is that you are able to understand french adequately Contact me or Abriko through PM if you wish to help this great project. Also do not worry: an english version will be there for sure!

Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 04-10-2004, 12:49 AM   #2
Zethiros
User

Zethiros has little to show at this moment (0)

Looks awesome!
Old 04-10-2004, 12:53 AM   #3
Iron_Ian
User

Respected User

Submissions (1)

Iron_Ian will become famous soon enough (51)Iron_Ian will become famous soon enough (51)

I've been looking forward to this one for a long time. :D

Looks like its gonna be a hella cool mod. The only futuristic mod that seems like it may be released soon.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:45 AM   #4
TheGameFreak
User

TheGameFreak has little to show at this moment (0)

huh? how can it being in french *not* affect quality to people who dont speak french?
Old 04-10-2004, 01:53 AM   #5
STURMguy22
User

STURMguy22 is on a distinguished road (20)

well, Its just a small part. I mean, a good translator could translate the whole mod in a short matter of time. Maybe the voices would take a little bit longer, but as long as there is subtitles, a translated copy would be just as high quality. It's probably better that its in french instead of any other oriental language or languages not using the alphabet. Many words can be deciphered just because the language is not unlike english, or spanish, or german, or really any other language that has a lot of its roots in Latin

I think Ive heard the name of that project, but never really knew what it was. Looks like it will be pretty high quality, that first screenshot is really impressive

can't wait for chapter 2
Old 04-10-2004, 02:10 AM   #6
Iron_Ian
User

Respected User

Submissions (1)

Iron_Ian will become famous soon enough (51)Iron_Ian will become famous soon enough (51)

I think Abriko knows some English. If not all he needs to do is translate all the text on www.freetranslation.com and then get someone who is very fluent in English to fix up any grammatical errors.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:13 AM   #7
Balthamos
User

Balthamos has little to show at this moment (4)

Or get someone who speaks both, like me. But you're correct, it's better it's in french rather than korean. Infact, I think I'd prefer only the subtitles translated since we'd be hearing what Abriko really wanted the characters to sound like, even if they were in french. A bit like watching a subtitled manga or movie.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:36 AM   #8
l]arkOne
User

Submissions (1)

l]arkOne will become famous soon enough (33)l]arkOne will become famous soon enough (33)

Approved Map: Hero RPG

Translating with a tool !? Are you sick? The text in english wont have the same meaning as in french. Most english people think that their translation tool are very powerful and that it can do all the job, well it's not.

I highly suggest asking someone bilingual, the guy should regulary speak/write in both language (else you will get something like how I'm writing, remember my demo lol).

For those who cant understand anything about the text in those screen:
1. A general description of the planet, its atmosphere is highly toxic and the planet is like a desert.
2. Transmission from a commander from a far away outpost that will guide you in the game.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:35 AM   #9
KiL_JaedeN103
User

KiL_JaedeN103 has little to show at this moment (0)

Wow! Looks great! Can't wait for a Beta release if there will be one.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:21 AM   #10
Skinhead
User

Skinhead has little to show at this moment (0)

wow french sluts.... mmmm memories
anyway, would be good if you did as much for that french noob as for the actual people/mods on wc3c
Old 04-10-2004, 06:23 AM   #11
Ganon
User

Respected User

Ganon has little to show at this moment (7)

I've been following this project for a while, and it has not failed to wow me in its stunning presentation. I'm not a native French speaker, but I can write and speak fluently in French.

The translation process in difficult even with a good translator who understands both languages because you will still have situations where the translation will be awkward rather than seamless. I suggest that there be a main translator and an assistant or two who would make sure the main translator did a proper job of making the translation smooth and most importantly, to ensure that the original meaning and essence of the messages were transposed flawlessly (which is the most difficult thing to do in translation).
Old 04-10-2004, 07:15 AM   #12
Pheonix-IV
I want you inside me...

Submissions (17)

Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)

Is it just me or does the planet sound and look alot like Dune ^_^
Old 04-10-2004, 03:13 PM   #13
linkmaster23
User

Submissions (3)

linkmaster23 will become famous soon enough (30)linkmaster23 will become famous soon enough (30)

Ha. That's exactly what I was thinking...
Old 04-10-2004, 03:21 PM   #14
MartinezTG
User

MartinezTG has little to show at this moment (4)

Looks... just... wow!
Just hope it's "just another part of the scene in the project" then think of how the whole thing will look like! ^_^

BTW Translating wouldn't be too hard I think. Guess all it needs is to take out the string files out of each map and have someone who played the mod and knows French and English good translate it (hope it ain't too much needs).

Martinez
Old 04-10-2004, 04:03 PM   #15
Elva
User

Elva has little to show at this moment (0)

wow looks like Arrakis... :8
Closed Thread