wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 08-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk
Default Race-Building Contest #2

RACE-BUILDING CONTEST #2
CALL FORTH A GOD

A race-building contest is one where entrants create a race for the WC3 melee game. In this case, we are to be making incomplete races akin to the exemplar race already in WC3, the Naga. This is the second contest of this sort, so let's hope that this turns out as successful as the first! The outcome of this contest will decide whether or not any contests of this sort are hosted again in the future; let's make it a good one!

Reward:
Award:
Reward:Click image for larger version

Name:	racebuildingcontest2.gif
Views:	20892
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	44961+30 reputation
The first place winner will be decided by Schulze Method similar to the most recent spell session and the third hero contest. One winner will be chosen and that entry's author will receive the above icon under their name in their profile and a boon of 30 reputation.

Contest Rules:
  • No team entries.
  • One entry per user.
  • Everybody is allowed and encouraged to enter, as long as they follow the rules.
  • WIP screenshots and details of your race are encouraged to be posted so that they might generate interest in the contest.
  • Only three of the units or structures in your created race may use an imported model. You may only import a model for a unit (including a portrait, if applicable), a special effect for use with your race, and/or a texture for a unit. The imported resources must all be publicly available (With the exception of the unit's icon, if you want one; you can take a screenshot of it and use that if need be).
  • Triggers are allowed in any way, shape, or form in the development of your race.
  • You are free to import a dummy model and/or a hero glow effect model for use with your entry.
  • You are free to import copies of in-game models without the hero glow for use with your entry.
  • You are free to import screenshot-icons of your units/structures as necessary, such as for models without icons in-game.
  • You are free to reimport in-game models in order to fix small issues with them such as animation hiccups or the like. Ask me if you're unsure about this.
  • Any library or system in the resource database at the time of contest creation may be used in the development of your race. (This rule is also extended for the prototype Custom Race System in the current form submitted to the database. I am making this exception because I realize the huge work involved with creating a race and I think this resource can simplify it tremendously)
  • You may not submit your entry with an AI designed for it. This is a race-building contest, not an AI contest. If after the contest is over you still want to make an AI to supplement the race, then there's nothing holding you back.
Design Space Rules:
  • No more than 1 tier per submitted race.
  • No more than 1 hero per submitted race.
  • No more than 8 structures per submitted race.
  • No more than 10 units per submitted race.
  • Each race must have a building/unit that fills each of the following roles:
    • Hero Altar
    • Food Supply
    • Defense Tower
    • Town Hall
  • Each race must have what would normally be a 'high-tier' unit that the race is centered around bringing into existence. A good example of this is the Thor in the Terran Race or the Mothership in the Protoss Race for the upcoming Starcraft II. The unit must be 'massive' in terms of its impact on the gameplay; how that exactly works out is up to you to decide. There must only be one unit of this type allowed per player.
  • No 'dibs' on races. Multiple users may submit using the same race, though different techtrees. (No plagiarism, etc)
  • Races can be anything, including those races not already in WC3 such as Critters or Farm Animals or whatever.
Submission:
  • All submitted entries must use (4)TurtleRock.w3x as the test map. (Modified as necessary, but not with any drastic changes)
  • All submitted entries must have a filename in the format:
    <MyRaceName>.w3x
  • All submitted entries must have an in-game map name in the format:
    <MyRaceName>
  • All imported content may be no larger than 500kb.
  • Submitted maps may be no larger than 750kb.
When you are completed with your entry, please post it in the Submission Thread. This is to facilitate keeping track of all entries as opposed to having to sort through posts to find them all.

Deadline:

The contest deadline is September 18, 2009; (11:59PM, GMT-5).
Potential extensions are possible if many entrants need them.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Alevice
It feels good

Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)

FUCK YES I ALWAYS WANTED A HIGH TIER UNIT FOR MY RACES AND I COUDLNT FIND WHERE!!!!!!

I CANT FUCKING TURN OFF CAPS LOCK, BUT I DONT CAAAER!

Alevice.jones is SC2 Beta, losers.

Check out my never updated deviantart gallery!!

Kalimdor Raiders (Race Contest #1) Pastebin Page
Cavern Crawlers (Race Contest #2) Pastebin Page
Airship Race Motherfuckers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ajaxian.com/archives/would-you-like-a-_-with-that-new-library-gives-js-what-it-should-have#comment-276203
- Dont solve problems that dont exist.
- Improve the wheel, dont reinvent it.
- Port the wheel if it doesnt exist in your environment.
- Integrate the wheel into your project.
- Make sure you can replace your wooden wheel for a rubber one if someone else invents it.
Alevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Oh shit.

Cultists definitely still work for this. And now perhaps something may come of my scattered ideas.
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Archmage Owenalacaster
Laughs Derisively

Project Member: PoC

Submissions (1)

Archmage Owenalacaster is a jewel in the rough (180)Archmage Owenalacaster is a jewel in the rough (180)Archmage Owenalacaster is a jewel in the rough (180)

Race-Building Contest #1 Winner

This is going to rock. I'm canceling all of my appointments for the next month.
Archmage Owenalacaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Tot

Tot will become famous soon enough (53)Tot will become famous soon enough (53)

ghosts, ghosts

....dusk said something about a theme...can't find one...
  • hunting emos
Old 08-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Read the Design Space Rules. I told you in the other thread, I'm not going to restrict the themes of the races because that sucks, I will however restrict the design space so that you must create races that do certain things.

This contest's restriction is a 'high-tier' unit. Last contest's restriction was the single import. (Notice this time around you get 3)
Old 08-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
gyrosphinx
User

gyrosphinx has little to show at this moment (4)

I'm in, I'm so definately in!!!

dunno what race yet, furbolg maybe? or murloc?

Last edited by gyrosphinx : 08-14-2009 at 04:48 PM.
gyrosphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
Michael Peppers
Lepus?

Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)

I was going to lose this? Oh my...

I'm in, no matter what!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
Archmage Owenalacaster
Laughs Derisively

Submissions (1)

Archmage Owenalacaster is a jewel in the rough (180)Archmage Owenalacaster is a jewel in the rough (180)Archmage Owenalacaster is a jewel in the rough (180)

Peppers is back! Woo!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
Michael Peppers
Lepus?

Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)

Yup, I was detoxifying myself from modding, but I can't resist to this Contest's charm :D

The Pigclaw Clan shall raise, as promised.

Good luck everyone, let's make some neat races this time too.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #11
Alevice
It feels good

Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)

God unit: Porcine Giant?

Alevice.jones is SC2 Beta, losers.

Check out my never updated deviantart gallery!!

Kalimdor Raiders (Race Contest #1) Pastebin Page
Cavern Crawlers (Race Contest #2) Pastebin Page
Airship Race Motherfuckers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ajaxian.com/archives/would-you-like-a-_-with-that-new-library-gives-js-what-it-should-have#comment-276203
- Dont solve problems that dont exist.
- Improve the wheel, dont reinvent it.
- Port the wheel if it doesnt exist in your environment.
- Integrate the wheel into your project.
- Make sure you can replace your wooden wheel for a rubber one if someone else invents it.
Alevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #12
Ikum-bokum
User

Submissions (4)

Ikum-bokum will become famous soon enough (60)Ikum-bokum will become famous soon enough (60)Ikum-bokum will become famous soon enough (60)

3 imports? Rock on, man. I'm actually going to make a race this time around. Gonna ressurect one of my ideas for the first compo.
Ikum-bokum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
Archmage Owenalacaster
Laughs Derisively

Submissions (1)

Here is a version of TurtleRock with the CustomRaceSystem implemented.
Attached Files
File Type: w3x RaceContestMap.w3x (158.9 KB, 68 views)
Old 08-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #14
gyrosphinx
User

gyrosphinx has little to show at this moment (4)

Haven't decided upon race yet, either it's gonna be furbolgs and pandarens or satyrs and centaurs...

...or maybe something else, dunno...

...I'll better decide quickly.

Last edited by gyrosphinx : 08-14-2009 at 08:28 PM.
gyrosphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #15
Michael Peppers
Lepus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alevice
God unit: Porcine Giant?

Probably something like that, but I just had the perfect idea for the god unit: take a Slaughterhouse and some pigs... xD

It will be a race with a high suicidal instinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmage Owenalacaster
Here is a version of TurtleRock with the CustomRaceSystem implemented.

Thanks, I'll use it.